Salary Cap for Scottish Football?

I was reading the BBC article with Kris Boyd regarding the USA set up. He mentions that they have a salary cap which helps to make things a bit more even/exciting.

Obviously in Scotland the financial disparity between the OF and the rest is massively significant.

So, should the SPFL do something similar? For example cap the playing staff budget at £5 million/year.

There are ways around the salary cap in MLS, so probably not the best model. Is there one in Europe that might provide a model?

I like the idea of a cap. I suppose the impoverished state of affairs here - compared to European neighbours - is a de facto cap.

The cap would be set at a level that would not make an iota of difference as only 1 current Prem team would be able to get close to it still. It would merely be a notional figure for the other 11 clubs.

How about one that was a percentage of their profit for that year? That way it would be the same for all clubs, relatively speaking.

How about one that was a percentage of their profit for that year? That way it would be the same for all clubs, relatively speaking.

% of turnover I assume you mean?

If it was % of profit then most teams would be fielding 11 trialists every week.

Linking it to turnover would be pointless as well. Celtic would still have a massive advantage over the rest. Might help stop them spunking ridiculous wages on shite like Pukki as well so that wouldn't be good either.

They should hold a whip round at the end of the match with the proceeds divvied up pro-rata amongst the players based on fan's ratings...

You can't link wages to profits or turnover unless it's an average over a defined period as the turnover and profits of any business, including football clubs, can vary significantly from year to year.

Anyway its a moot point as we can't even get the SPFL to come up with a fairer distribution of revenue from the TV deal; they certainly wouldn't agree to a wage cap.

We should definitely lower the bar for the other teams to make it easier for them to challenge. If that doesn't work we could play with 9 players, if that doesn't work we could start with a 2 goal deficit.

I think keeping Ronny Roarer as manager should be enough..

Anything accountants can get their grubby little paws into can't be trusted to work.

They tried this is speedway a number of years ago. A number of "sponsors" then appeared who gave the individual riders extra money.

Scottish football couldn't force this through as the clubs (i.e. Peter Lawell) wouldn't wear it, whether it was legal or not.

There should defo be a restriction based on your turnover. It maybe wouldnt even things out but it would surely help teams stop getting into financial difficulties, which should help them in the long run

There should defo be a restriction based on your turnover. It maybe wouldnt even things out but it would surely help teams stop getting into financial difficulties, which should help them in the long run

^^What he said^^

Funnily enough many in the MLS game seem to think the wage cap is holding them back from becoming one of the big leagues. Beckham I'm sure being quoted previously as one opposed to it.

I don't think you'd get away with a salary cap under EU law, although it would be good and make the league more exciting.

There's salary caps in Rugby Union in the UK.

There's no such cap in France which is why you see players going over there for the mega buck$$

Archived