Bombing Syria

ICTJohnboy

No. I don't think war against ISIS is the way forward. They thrive on that shit.

My point is that drones and air campaigns basically give off the impression that we're not fully committed. Willing to rain death upon thousands but not willing to risk any British lives in the process. The extremist propaganda practically writes itself.

The propaganda is what is it, propoganda. I don't think us "giving them" the opportunity is of much importance, it would always manifest itself.

Every time the US, Russia or France kills a civilian with their 'smart bombs' they do a better job of recruiting for Isis than any of the social media stuff. It's no secret these organisations put strategically important buildings/ apparatus near population centres and things such as schools/hospitals. What one of the militias are we going to choose to back because they're all fighting each other, what about the Kurds, do we leave them out now because it will annoy Turkey? In my opinion the battle in Syria is now too complicated for bombing campaigns to be successful. If they want to put a serious dent in Isis funds and capability then I could suggest a method completely blood free, stop buying Saudi oil. Want to stop Isis recruiting as effectively? Stop the Saudi royal family setting up Wahhabism(sic) training schools. All these people baying for blood, I'll ask you this, did bombing Iraq solve anything? Is the continued strikes there seeing any success? Has military action stopped the Taliban? Has it fcuk, they've just changed clothes and returned to power in most places. Military action as some coalition of the willing in Syria is not the answer, if there is to be action it should be UN led and only with an exit strategy in place.

An outstanding post.

I understand the point made by dorlomin about 'it's time stand up'. But our bombing strategies is half arsed and ineffective. And the idea of a all out attack of ISIS would have to be Un led and the local complexities mean that's not happening.

They can be weakened in other ways and the place to start is following the money trail.

What's the plan then Toryboy. What needs to be done?

Defo not a toryboy,i just support action against isis in syria.

What needs done is to target the isis training camps,this is the breeding grounds for its fighters to train and plan attacks before getting sent off to europe.

What needs done is to target the isis training camps,this is the breeding grounds for its fighters to train and plan attacks before getting sent off to europe.

Even though that feeds further hatred against the west? We've just about got rid of Al qaeda and they were replaced. The same will happen unless we break the sequence.

Sheer genius. If only the French and American governments had had you as a strategist.

Brilliant. So what we might call the George W. Plan for Afghanistan.

Maybe we should wait for the Chilcot enquiry from the last oh so successful foray into the middle east before we start bombing syria

A very fair point.

At the very least I would expect that enquiry to demonstrate just what an act of sheer folly Blair's foray into Iraq was, and which was of course based on a pack of lies, mis-information, trumped up intelligence, etc, etc.

Are we really going to go down that road again?

Even though that feeds further hatred against the west? We've just about got rid of Al qaeda and they were replaced. The same will happen unless we break the sequence.

Is this last year the uk has foiled 7 attacks all conected to isis,bombing isis in syria is hardly going to make us a bigger target than we already are.

Why? Bombing has neither destroyed ISIS nor protected those engaged in it from terrorist atrocities (quite the opposite).

France thought, "ISIS is a threat to us - we must bomb their breeding ground". Following their bombings, France was attacked by ISIS. By what logic should the UK now think, "ISIS is a threat to us - we must bomb their breeding ground"? We have demonstrable proof that bombing has not been effective and is a dangerous game to play.

IS as a military army is all but destroyed in Iraq. Bombing the crap out of them there has definitely protected people in Iraq.

Edited, FWIW, I'm a member of the SNP and I disagree with the party line on this too.

Edited by Savage Henry

IS as a military army is all but destroyed in Iraq. Bombing the crap out of them there has definitely protected people in Iraq.

Edited, FWIW, I'm a member of the SNP and I disagree with the party line on this too.

Is it?

Why did Cameron not mention that yesterday?

Every time the US, Russia or France kills a civilian with their 'smart bombs' they do a better job of recruiting for Isis than any of the social media stuff. It's no secret these organisations put strategically important buildings/ apparatus near population centres and things such as schools/hospitals. What one of the militias are we going to choose to back because they're all fighting each other, what about the Kurds, do we leave them out now because it will annoy Turkey? In my opinion the battle in Syria is now too complicated for bombing campaigns to be successful. If they want to put a serious dent in Isis funds and capability then I could suggest a method completely blood free, stop buying Saudi oil. Want to stop Isis recruiting as effectively? Stop the Saudi royal family setting up Wahhabism(sic) training schools. All these people baying for blood, I'll ask you this, did bombing Iraq solve anything? Is the continued strikes there seeing any success? Has military action stopped the Taliban? Has it fcuk, they've just changed clothes and returned to power in most places. Military action as some coalition of the willing in Syria is not the answer, if there is to be action it should be UN led and only with an exit strategy in place.

Spot on.

Maybe we should wait for the Chilcot enquiry from the last oh so successful foray into the middle east before we start bombing syria

Sorry but that's just too sensible.

The knee jerk reaction to the massacre of innocent civilians in Paris is to intensify bombing that will undoubtedly add to the many past deaths of innocent civilians in Syria.

Yeah that makes sense, so long as you think a Syrian civilian life is less precious than a French one.

BTW I know not all the casualties in Paris were French.

Spot on.

Sorry but that's just too sensible.

The knee jerk reaction to the massacre of innocent civilians in Paris is to intensify bombing that will undoubtedly add to the many past deaths of innocent civilians in Syria.

Yeah that makes sense, so long as you think a Syrian civilian life is less precious than a French one.

BTW I know not all the casualties in Paris were French.

That is the likely view of the UK government given that France is a strategically important ally

Because stating it directly would lessen the impetus, I suspect. Also, note that he isn't calling for ground troops. That's more than just political expediency.

It will be someone else's boots on the ground.

Can you imagine the outcry in this country if one of 'our boys ' was captured and beheaded on film.