Fixtures for Saturday 26th December and Saturday 2nd January

shoemaker

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, to be fair, maybe you won't hear it in any other countries (except England) because no other countries even contemplate having fixtures at that time of year.

Playing at Christmas is not really traditional outside the UK and places like Australia... although they also do it in Belgium, and the Italian and Spanish lower reaches... but plenty countries play at New Year. Just looking at the listing on Soccerway there are plenty games in Portugal, Spain and Greece on New Year weekend and others as well (e.g. Polish semi-pros).

Playing at Christmas is not really traditional outside the UK and places like Australia... although they also do it in Belgium, and the Italian and Spanish lower reaches... but plenty countries play at New Year. Just looking at the listing on Soccerway there are plenty games in Portugal, Spain and Greece on New Year weekend and others as well (e.g. Polish semi-pros).

There isn't many (any?) countries in the world who have the same traditions of new year that Scotland has.

New year and the 2nd are recognized bank holidays and have been for centuries while Christmas Day has only been in the last 70 years.

I will miss there not being games for a few weeks, however the players, committee and coaches all deserve a break as much as anyone else and also being able to spend time with their families.

For those desperate for some football action I am sure sky won't be short of games over that period with many of these players who earn £m's moaning about playing at Christmas!

I think playing on the Sunday or Monday is a great idea, having said that I'm one of those football addicts who would be there even if it was played on Christmas Day!

There are advantages to having a fortnight break though. The players get rested, wee knocks & niggles get a chance to clear up, coaching staff get to re-charge their batteries & pitches get a chance to recover a bit. Everybody fit, refreshed & raring to go again on January 9th.

As long as weather doesn't call off too many games in January, the break may end up being a really good thing come Feb/March.

www.troonfc.com/

Consider the cash flow impact, if away on 19th Dec that means going from 12th Dec to at least 9th Jan with no gate money, and that's before any potential postponements...

That's only 28 days, i.e. four weeks.

Our last home game was 10th October, seven weeks ago tomorrow. No home postponements, just all away games. And that's before the Christmas "shutdown" comes.

How about people stop moaning and get on with it now that the fixture man has done the right thing.

I don't think anybody is "moaning", we're only giving our opinions about whether we think there should be a shutdown or not.

Fixtures Man has had no input into the topic being discussed on this thread, as he has not produced fixtures for 26th December and 2nd January.

I must have miss read the posts on the lack of home games.

Glencairn played 8 home games 3 in a row to come.

Irvine meadow 7 home games played 3 coming up.

Rob Roy 8 home games played two coming up.

I could go on and pick other clubs out but i won't.

My point is neither Glencairn or Irvine meadow are being hard done by when it comes to the fixture.

I don't think you'll find anywhere on this thread that I claimed that we were being hard done to by Fixtures Man. You have misinterpreted my comments. My comments about us going 7 weeks without a home game was in response to somebody who pointed out that going 4 weeks over Christmas and New Year without a home gate would have an impact on clubs. I was merely pointing out that it happens at other times of the season as well.

I don't think you'll find anywhere on this thread that I claimed that we were being hard done to by Fixtures Man. You have misinterpreted my comments. My comments about us going 7 weeks without a home game was in response to somebody who pointed out that going 4 weeks over Christmas and New Year without a home gate would have an impact on clubs. I was merely pointing out that it happens at other times of the season as well.

you have my sympathies with that, poor show, you must have better control of your finances than most

Six competitive games,two home friendly matches three home games arranged by end of the year.That's decent.

No club gets a harder run of it than others no matter what anyone say.

Get on with it without moaning or 'stating facts ' if you go down which i think will happen it will have nothing to do with the way fixtures are given and in what order.

Not that the manager has anything to worry about if you do go down.

Are you really as thick as you make yourself out to be, or are you just deliberately being obtuse ?

I clarified earlier that I was not complaining about the fixtures, I was only pointing out to another poster that long spells without a home match happens teams outside of the Christmas shutdown period. We recognise we now have three home games in a row, so there is no problem, other than the one you are trying to create.

If that's difficult for you to understand, I suggest you go and learn how to read things and understand them at the same time.

It's a great time for games ; what about all the guys who come back to visit their family and friends once a year during the festivities and haven't saw their club playing for a good while.

Them guys would love to see their team playing and also it gets us out the house for some fresh air, this isn't a Sunday league kick about it's semi professional football here.

I personally love getting out to games at that time of year but while it's great for fans to have the option, I would always give greater consideration to the players and staff that have served the club all year than a handful of fans up the road to visit their maw who may pop in and spend their six quid.

of course I've no idea how players feel about playing these games.

New year and the 2nd are recognized bank holidays and have been for centuries while Christmas Day has only been in the last 70 years.

As far as I am aware it is a lot less than 70 years since Christmas day became a holiday in Scotland. I certainly went into work on 25th December in 1964 but not the following year. I'm pretty certain of that because it was my first year in full time employment and it was definitely a holiday the following year.

Having said that, I have just checked and Kilsyth played Petershill on Christmas day in 1965, result 2-2, Petershill scorers Devine and Reid, Kilsyth scorers Jimmy Carroll and Billy Clark. Jimmy carroll was a member of our Scottish cup winning team the following season and is well remembered as a great little right winger in the Jimmy Johnstone mould.

Billy Clark is the brother of Arnold Clark and signed for St Johnstone at the end of that season having scored 11 goals

Games were also played on Xmas day in 1948 and 1955, because of leap years these were the only other post war years on which it fell on a saturday. I doubt if any junior games have been played on that day since 1965 but I believe English league games were played for quite a few years after that.

As far as I am aware it is a lot less than 70 years since Christmas day became a holiday in Scotland. I certainly went into work on 25th December in 1964 but not the following year. I'm pretty certain of that because it was my first year in full time employment and it was definitely a holiday the following year.

Having said that, I have just checked and Kilsyth played Petershill on Christmas day in 1965, result 2-2, Petershill scorers Devine and Reid, Kilsyth scorers Jimmy Carroll and Billy Clark. Jimmy carroll was a member of our Scottish cup winning team the following season and is well remembered as a great little right winger in the Jimmy Johnstone mould.

Billy Clark is the brother of Arnold Clark and signed for St Johnstone at the end of that season having scored 11 goals[/quote

13 less than 70 - 1958.

• 2 weeks later...

The Highland League has fixtures scheduled for both 26/12 and 2/1 whilst the LL has a full fixture card on 2/1. Surely at least the top divisions of the juniors should be looking to play on one or both days? This isn't amateur football at that level - these guys are well paid for their hobby and punters/sponsors put good money into their clubs to fund them.

The Highland League has fixtures scheduled for both 26/12 and 2/1 whilst the LL has a full fixture card on 2/1. Surely at least the top divisions of the juniors should be looking to play on one or both days? This isn't amateur football at that level - these guys are well paid for their hobby and punters/sponsors put good money into their clubs to fund them.

HL always plays right through and I was disappointed LL isn't playing Christmas weekend this season - they have last 2 years. Agree with you entirely.

Archived