The Worst Championship Team of All Time?

I see your Andy McNeil and raise you a Callum Antell

No no no no no, Graham bowman

Hmmm...that is some real competition right there, we need a substitute goalkeeper so find some way of deciding who's worthy of a spot in the team. A few videos of why they deserve a spot in the team should suffice.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not the worst, but we're probably poor enough to deserve mention as a footnote. There have been a few teams that have collapsed over the years, and we're not there yet; we're just noticeably worse than everyone else.

I never saw them play, but that early Nineties Cowdenbeath side was the first that sprang to mind for me; they seemed to have dreadful results every week. He wasn't with us long, but Geoff Mitchell might be a good shout for the worst ever team - he looked mobile and deadly in our pre-season games, then suddenly turned into a statue once the season started. He couldn't jump, so we were treated to the bizarre sight of a 6' 5" man losing out on headers nine times out of ten. Still think he must have been ill or something to have played so poorly.

I never saw them play, but that early Nineties Cowdenbeath side was the first that sprang to mind for me; they seemed to have dreadful results every week. He wasn't with us long, but Geoff Mitchell might be a good shout for the worst ever team - he looked mobile and deadly in our pre-season games, then suddenly turned into a statue once the season started. He couldn't jump, so we were treated to the bizarre sight of a 6' 5" man losing out on headers nine times out of ten. Still think he must have been ill or something to have played so poorly.

We were playing the girl guides this pre-season.

A shout for the East Fife side of 1996/97 under Steve Archibald and with the Trinidadians? Only won two games, one of which was on the final day and their campaign included a run of 15 straight defeats, ironically ended by coming back from two goals down to draw with a Saints side that cantered the league. During that run they scored 6 goals, conceding 52 goals, with two 6-0 defeats and a 7-1 loss in there.

Sticking with Fife, there's also the Cowdenbeath team from 1992/93? A 44-game season and they won only 1 of their first 41 games. They conceded 18 goals in their first 5 games, which set the tone for a campaign that saw them lose over 100 goals and fail to win a match at home.

I think they were from Barbados maybe? I seem to remember a situation when Rangers were raging as they wanted to sign another forigen diddy, but couldn't because lowly East Fife had taken up the last of the work permits?

We were playing the girl guides this pre-season.

Fair point, but big Geoff at least looked capable of running and jumping in those games.

Maybe the big socks we finally got him were weighing him down? :P

Perhaps we should create a 'Championship worst ever Xi Dreamteam'.

We've not been here very long, (and neither have I compared to some of the posters on here) nonetheless I'd like to nominate Kenny Shiels and Calude Anelka for the co-manager roles. Kabba Modou Cham (Morton) and Bilel Mohsni (Rangers) shall act as the spine of said team - unless someone can suggest someone worse.

McNeil

R.Perry M.Khalis B.Mohsni M.Fitzpatrick

A.Peralta I.Black ?

T.Brighton K.Cham G.O'Connor

Subs: T.Morgan, G Mitchell, MID, MID, DEF, DEF, C.Antell

Mobile strikeforce that

Still needing a starting midfielder, two sub defenders and two sub midfielders. Team's looking pretty strong thus far.

Haven't both of them been decent at this level in the past?

I certainly remember Jimmy Scott being fairly handy when he played for Livi.

I'm not sure. You could be right. They were both absolutely brutal for us. Last season, whenever either of them were in the starting line-up, it would have been a banker to stick money on our opponents regardless of who we were playing. Take Liam fox out of the mix actually. His first season with us, His partnership with Kevin Moon was really good. Martin Scott was the biggest waste of a wage we've had in quite some time, outwith Ross 'f*ckin' Perry.

Archived