The Worst Championship Team of All Time?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A shout for the East Fife side of 1996/97 under Steve Archibald and with the Trinidadians? Only won two games, one of which was on the final day and their campaign included a run of 15 straight defeats, ironically ended by coming back from two goals down to draw with a Saints side that cantered the league. During that run they scored 6 goals, conceding 52 goals, with two 6-0 defeats and a 7-1 loss in there.

Sticking with Fife, there's also the Cowdenbeath team from 1992/93? A 44-game season and they won only 1 of their first 41 games. They conceded 18 goals in their first 5 games, which set the tone for a campaign that saw them lose over 100 goals and fail to win a match at home.

A shout for the East Fife side of 1996/97 under Steve Archibald and with the Trinidadians? Only won two games, one of which was on the final day and their campaign included a run of 15 straight defeats, ironically ended by coming back from two goals down to draw with a Saints side that cantered the league. During that run they scored 6 goals, conceding 52 goals, with two 6-0 defeats and a 7-1 loss in there.

Sticking with Fife, there's also the Cowdenbeath team from 1992/93? A 44-game season and they won only 1 of their first 41 games. They conceded 18 goals in their first 5 games, which set the tone for a campaign that saw them lose over 100 goals and fail to win a match at home.

I recall that the final day win for the Fifers was a 4-0 pumping of The Bankies at Boghead :(

Yes it is- the shell of Clydebank were bought over before they could be liquidated, then renamed and moved to Airdrie, taking their league membership. Rangers on the other hand died. Clydebank technically just moved and rebranded.

It's all semantics where Clydebank/Airdrie United are concerned.

Airdrieonians (the football club, not the townspeople) died.

Airdrie United was formed.

Airdrie United purchased the name and league membership of the dying Clydebank football club. Essentially, they bought the franchise.

They immediately moved that franchise to Airdrie.

They dropped the name "Clydebank" and called the football club "Airdrie United" from that point forward.

No Clydebank staff were retained, be it on the playing side of back room staff.

As far as I can recall, no Clydebank fans ever transferred allegiance to Airdrie United.

After the purchase, Airdrie United used the close season to recruit an entire management and playing staff and based the club at what had been Airdrieonians' stadium.

It's not comparable to Ferranti Thistle moving to Meadowbank and becoming Meadowbank Thistle, then moving to Livingston and assuming that town's name. There was a distinct thread of continuity behind those moves, including management, playing staff and (some of) the fan base.

It's not even comparable to the Rangers/S(i)evco/TheRingers saga, where at least the premises, the fan base and some of the playing staff, management and ancillary staff were retained by the newco and its successors. The original Rangers are deid, but for the reasons stated in this paragraph they would have more claim to continuity than Clydebank would - except that they're deid. And I don't think you'll find a Clydebank fan anywhere who'd claim the current Airdrieonians, as they're again known, as "their" team.

There may be, technically, an argument that Clydebank live on as today's Airdrieonians. But that's all it would be - a technicality.

You, or maybe others, may disagree. That's fine by me - as I said above, it's all semantics.

Perhaps we should create a 'Championship worst ever Xi Dreamteam'.

We've not been here very long, (and neither have I compared to some of the posters on here) nonetheless I'd like to nominate Kenny Shiels and Calude Anelka for the co-manager roles. Kabba Modou Cham (Morton) and Bilel Mohsni (Rangers) shall act as the spine of said team - unless someone can suggest someone worse.

?

? ? Mohsni Fitzpatrick

? ? ?

Brighton Cham O'Connor

Mobile strikeforce that

Andy McNeil in goal.

I would think this Alloa side by a mile it might be the lowest points ever by a championship side if we keep going at this rate !!!

Despite the fact we're already halfway to the lowest points and just over a quarter the way through the season?

Past 20 years:

95/96 Dumbarton - 3 Wins - 11 Points

96/97 East Fife - 2 Wins - 14 Points

99/00 Clydebank - 1 Win - 10 points

02/03 Arbroath - 3 wins - 15 points

04/05 Raith Rovers - 3 wins -16 points.

05/06 Brechin City - 2 wins - 17 points

Stranraer only had 17 points in 98/98 but 5 wins is no bad in comparison to the rest

It's all semantics where Clydebank/Airdrie United are concerned.

Airdrieonians (the football club, not the townspeople) died.

Airdrie United was formed.

Airdrie United purchased the name and league membership of the dying Clydebank football club. Essentially, they bought the franchise.

They immediately moved that franchise to Airdrie.

They dropped the name "Clydebank" and called the football club "Airdrie United" from that point forward.

No Clydebank staff were retained, be it on the playing side of back room staff.

As far as I can recall, no Clydebank fans ever transferred allegiance to Airdrie United.

After the purchase, Airdrie United used the close season to recruit an entire management and playing staff and based the club at what had been Airdrieonians' stadium.

It's not comparable to Ferranti Thistle moving to Meadowbank and becoming Meadowbank Thistle, then moving to Livingston and assuming that town's name. There was a distinct thread of continuity behind those moves, including management, playing staff and (some of) the fan base.

It's not even comparable to the Rangers/S(i)evco/TheRingers saga, where at least the premises, the fan base and some of the playing staff, management and ancillary staff were retained by the newco and its successors. The original Rangers are deid, but for the reasons stated in this paragraph they would have more claim to continuity than Clydebank would - except that they're deid. And I don't think you'll find a Clydebank fan anywhere who'd claim the current Airdrieonians, as they're again known, as "their" team.

There may be, technically, an argument that Clydebank live on as today's Airdrieonians. But that's all it would be - a technicality.

You, or maybe others, may disagree. That's fine by me - as I said above, it's all semantics.

But you did compare it with the Rangers saga in your original reply- that's where your argument falls down IMO. Airdrie United bought over an active league membership in Clydebank, unlike Newco Rangers who took over an available one.

I don't consider Airdrie to be the same club as Clydebank in spirit and nor does SS, I assume he was merely trolling the Clydebank lad. But technically he was correct and Airdrie are essentially a continuation of Clydebank. I agree that all it is is a technicality, but in that case, it was wrong of you to pull him up for something that's actually correct.

Incidentally however, I note from the SPFL website that they recognise Airdrie as having been formed in 2002, and not 1965, as the SFL used to list. Strange that this stance has changed from the league in recent years.

If we're going that far back, our team of 88/89 deserves a shout. Our meagre points total was damaged further by a points penalty for fielding an ineligible player.

Seconded.

A truly dreadful effort

But you did compare it with the Rangers saga in your original reply- that's where your argument falls down IMO. Airdrie United bought over an active league membership in Clydebank, unlike Newco Rangers who took over an available one.

I don't consider Airdrie to be the same club as Clydebank in spirit and nor does SS, I assume he was merely trolling the Clydebank lad. But technically he was correct and Airdrie are essentially a continuation of Clydebank. I agree that all it is is a technicality, but in that case, it was wrong of you to pull him up for something that's actually correct.

Incidentally however, I note from the SPFL website that they recognise Airdrie as having been formed in 2002, and not 1965, as the SFL used to list. Strange that this stance has changed from the league in recent years.

You assume correctly Toby. ;)

Fair enough; either we agree that we both have a point or we agree to differ. I can live with that.

Perhaps we should create a 'Championship worst ever Xi Dreamteam'.

We've not been here very long, (and neither have I compared to some of the posters on here) nonetheless I'd like to nominate Kenny Shiels and Calude Anelka for the co-manager roles. Kabba Modou Cham (Morton) and Bilel Mohsni (Rangers) shall act as the spine of said team - unless someone can suggest someone worse.

McNeil

Perry Khalis Mohsni Fitzpatrick

? ? ?

Brighton Cham O'Connor

Subs: T.Morgan

Mobile strikeforce that

Ian Black and Arnold Peralta in the middle

Archived