Stranraer v Forfar

No topic for this with only a couple of days to go?

Probably sums up the disappointing season both teams are having after last season.

From a Forfar point of view, the last couple of weeks have been a definite improvement but we are very fragile at the moment.

Strangely hopeful of the 3 points this Saturday.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we have turned in two decent enough performances but we sadly lack a goalscorer, our left back has scored more than our strikers. Young Martin looks a fine prospect so he may be the one to find the net.

Desperately need a win, but a draw down there wouldn't be the worse result. In two minds whether I head down or not.

I think we have turned in two decent enough performances but we sadly lack a goalscorer, our left back has scored more than our strikers. Young Martin looks a fine prospect so he may be the one to find the net.

Desperately need a win, but a draw down there wouldn't be the worse result. In two minds whether I head down or not.

^^^^Agree - and even during our poor recent run - the draws against Peterhead and Ayr had their good moments. (performance wise)

Think Dick will probably go same again and, after the furore last week, won't make any substitutions. Instead, as we tire, we'll get pegged back from 3-0 up to 3-3 against 9 men with 5 mins to go.

(can see us sneaking this one though)

No topic for this with only a couple of days to go?

Probably sums up the disappointing season both teams are having after last season.

From a Forfar point of view, the last couple of weeks have been a definite improvement but we are very fragile at the moment.

Strangely hopeful of the 3 points this Saturday.

correct

Its shite. we cant score, when we do we let more in.

I dont go, bus fare too much,but I talk to regulars...

Not happy bunny, see nothing from todays fixture

Overall still disappointing from Stranraer today. We had the players available to win that match against a Forfar side that were pale shadow of last years team. BUT once again we failed to create enough clear cut chances.I thought Nequecaur played well winning a lot of good flicks and the defence was more solid. Goalkeeper had another safe game as well! So it wasn't all bad.

I will continue to back the players (apart from Paul Cairney who IMO ain't worthy of support due to him being unable to keep himself in the condition I would expect of a professional sportsman) but I still reckon the sooner Brian Reid leaves the better. Am surprised there still seems to be a small pocket of fans who think that you need to back Reid in order to be a 'proper' fan but how many times should this man be allowed to make the same mistakes without his position being questioned for the greater good of our club? Take a look at the big calls he made today and ask yourself if you agree:

• He starts the match with Paul Cairney whilst the likes of McGuigan and Longworth sit on the bench.
  • For most of the match we have Bell in centre defence (one of the best midfielders in the league who yes could play in defence in emergency situations) and Robertson in midfield (a solid defender who could step into midfield if short of options in that area) - why not the other way around?
  • He makes his first tactical substitution putting McGuigan on - Cairney is having another stinker whilst McCluskey looks more threatening BUT he takes McCluskey off.

Its all very well talking about negativity at the homes games but that's a result of the performances and results and there is no point kidding ourselves on here. Its bad management thats causing the bad results - not bad luck. You don't sit where we are in the league scoring so few goals at this point in the season because of bad luck. There is a difference between criticizing the team and criticizing the manager - I bet a good few of the players feel exactly the same about the calls he is making and would also prefer him to be replaced. I don't expect miracles or a team challenging at the top of the league but something just hasn't been right from the minute Reid took over. Never mind AS I SAY am sure he will be the first to recognize the part he is playing in the poor form when the post match interviews appear online later. :huh:

Hard game today both teams could have snatched it. Some bad misses by cairney. Thomson and a few others. Nequecaur actually scored a perfectly good goal in first half when he was wrongly given offside. Ref didn't help proceedings with numerous bizarre decisions. McCluskey was injured and Robertson was playing well in the position he was in. Another draw but at last a clean sheet. The cup next week. #monblu.

Robertson is a player I like (has always tried hard for club) and he might have the odd decent game in centre midfield protecting the defence but its not his position and never will be - Bell's attributes suit that position better but hey thats just my opinion. As for the ref well he made a few mistakes but don't they always..... always an easy option to blame the ref. As a club its maybe better to focus on things we can effect - come the end of the season decisions even themselves out. If McCluskey was injured fair enough but doesn't change the fact that Cairney should never have remained on the park for 77 minutes. We really need to write him off before he costs us even more points and eventually our place in this league.

We created heaps of chances, we just didn't take them. Agree Nequecaur did well but perhaps a bit profligate in front of goal. Malcolm alongside works nicely - very glad we've moved away from the dreary 4-5-1 we were playing for months!

McCluskey came off with a knock, Robertson and Bell both did well in their respective positions. Robbo was primarily a defensive midfielder prior to joining us.

Robertson and Bell both did well in their respective positions. Robbo was primarily a defensive midfielder prior to joining us.

I respect your opinion. I just think Robertson is better suited to full back or even centre back (given thats a position we have struggled a little this season) as his main qualities are as a ball winner. To me Bell offers guile in midfield - meaning we retain position better and might be more likely to penetrate defenses. But hey football is a game of different opinions. Maybe I have been a tad harsh given Reid's tendency to play folk in strange positions.

Agree with much of what the Stranraer fans were saying. Interesting to hear them having a similar debate to us - re the manager, players not playing or playing in different positions and what substitutions should/shouldn't be made.

From a Forfar perspective, out went Foxy and Sanny and in came TOB and Young after their 60 mins with the youngsters this week. Swanks played the lone front role ahead of a 5 man midfield.

I thought we upped our tempo again today and without Sanny to aim at, we played a bit more through the channel for Swanks.

Good chances for Martin and Young with their heads in the first half although neither could get the ball on target. (Young's looked the easier). Offset against a couple of hairy moments in the Forfar box including a sclaffed effort from in front of goal.

Second half was pretty even again although the later the game went on the more possession Stranraer seemed to have. Another good couple of long range shots from the outstanding Hodge - 1 had the goalie diving full length but the ball just went wide of the top corner.

Good choice by the gaffer to take Nicoll off after his booking as it looked like he may have ended up picking up a second yellow.

Stranraer were putting in some hefty challenges in the second half. A cynical trip on Denholm was rightly yellow carded and the ginger central midfielder can count himself lucky to have only picked up a yellow for a blatant kick at Hodge? Right in front of the ref. Not sure how it could have been classed as anything other than a kick.

Another step in the right direction and good to see Travis getting put through his own warm up ahead of the game - hopefully in contention soon.

From a Forfar point of view, pretty much what dee-62 said.

Swanky wasn't brilliant today, but he actually put an effort in, much improved and helped the rest of the lads.

Like us, Stranraer are much poorer than last season, an awful lot of big punts that were safely dealt with for most of the game, last 5 minutes we looked nervous though.

Archived