Teams to Have Made It Since Scotland Last Did.

Lex

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where does all the money we punt into these c***s actually go by the way? £55 just to get a membership.... everybody knows how dear the tickets are, must have made a killing on the replica gear as well. Are we just paying the Blazers wages? They must make a bomb off Scotland fans?

I'm having a heads gone, I'm out, f**k the SFA.

I was over at the Germany v Scotland match last yr. We were having a pint in the hotel the Scotland lads were staying in and a surfeit of blazers were sitting at a table next to us drinking and eating Inc. Rod fuckin Petrie! I'm sure this was all being expensed... awarding failure it's the Scottish way.

The SFA are firmly to blame, they drive the programme. In Ireland GAA us by far the biggest sport, with rugby kicking fast on the heels of football. Scotland really only has football so it's a disgrace that Ireland have made 3 major comps plus 2 play offs since we last qualified. Not to mention NI and Wales

Tremendous contribution, RG. Perhaps you can explain how our fortunes will improve when everybody stops giving a shit.

Because its not as if we're finishing bottom of the group :lol: The last five or six qualifying groups we've been about two points off making the Play-Offs. One different result or bit of luck and we're in a two legged game against anybody. You lot make it sound as if we're absolutely fucking miles off getting near it and are just as bad as the Gibraltars of the world.

Get a grip FFS

Because its not as if we're finishing bottom of the group :lol: The last five or six qualifying groups we've been about two points off making the Play-Offs. One different result or bit of luck and we're in a two legged game against anybody. You lot make it sound as if we're absolutely fucking miles off getting near it and are just as bad as the Gibraltars of the world.

Get a grip FFS

I agree. Even in that horrendous Levein campaign where we beat only only Lithuania and Liechtenstein we took it to the very last game.

People over react, that's the nature of football.

Get a grip FFS

Oh dear

Mentality is massive in sport. The facts don't lie, we're dreadful. And with your attitude we will continue so.

Oh dear

Mentality is massive in sport. The facts don't lie, we're dreadful. And with your attitude we will continue so.

One minute my attitude wont have any effect, now its the root of all the problems? You lot need to sort yourselves out.

Failing to qualify, thanks to one bad result, isnt horrendous for a nation of our size.

Get a grip FFS

Not bottom, but 4th out of a 5 team group... Nobody thinks we are as bad as the Gibraltars of the world what a stupid statement.

'Aye it was just that one result, we never got that bit of luck back in that game mind?'

How many more years are we going to have to listen to that utter drivel? At the end of every failed campaign that gets harped on about, there's much more to it than that, we are not good enough. That's 18 years now, most likely going to be 20 we've not managed to qualify, 10 tournaments. We always moan about our draw as well, 'aye but we got a bad draw we were unlucky' maybe if we weren't 4th fucking seeds we would have a better draw???

If last night wasn't a wake up call to the Blazers. Then I don't know what is.

To be the only home nation not going is embarrassing. It's no coincidence our game went downhill at the same time the SPL were spunking money on foreign duds.

If last night wasn't a wake up call to the Blazers. Then I don't know what is.

To be the only home nation not going is embarrassing. It's no coincidence our game went downhill at the same time the SPL were spunking money on foreign duds.

See this is the bit I don't get. Why is what Wales, England and Northern Ireland have done even relevant to our situation? England were always going to cruise through, so they can be discounted. Northern Ireland did very well to qualify but had a better group than we did. Wales did pretty well also, but again had a better group. Had Wales and Northern Ireland not qualified, and RoI got put out in the playoffs, nothing would have changed. We still would have had a disappointing campaign, so why does it matter what others have done?

The only one I can see being relevant is RoI, as they were directly competing with us. Another hypothetical - say all other groups stayed the same, but in ours Germany, Scotland and Ireland all cruised the group, with Poland a real disappointment. We finished in 3rd, but far, far ahead of Poland. Ireland go automatically, and we end up losing narrowly in the playoffs to Bosnia (or whoever else we drew). Would it still be "embarrassing" and a "wake-up call"?

Pointing to other nations just seems incredibly bitter. If the suits at the SFA haven't already realised we had a disappointing campaign, then I doubt they'll look to other nations and "wake up".

I think it just hits home more Foreamus. It's always been just England, which we can live with because they're a big European nation, but now it's every British Isles team but ourselves. It'll be much worse than usual sitting at home watching it in the summer now.

I think it just hits home more Foreamus. It's always been just England, which we can live with because they're a big European nation, but now it's every British Isles team but ourselves. It'll be much worse than usual sitting at home watching it in the summer now.

Hopefully it'll be most painful to watch for the 11 who fannied about and failed in Georgia. Useless c*nts.

I'm just going to hide for the first part of the tournament, now the ROI have qualified i'm getting stick from all angles over here... :lol:

I'm just going to hide for the first part of the tournament, now the ROI have qualified i'm getting stick from all angles over here... :lol:

Its going to be absolutely horrible, I'm sure there'll be pelters coming in from all directions when it all kicks off. I'm going to support Ireland and hope Northern Ireland do well as well.

England and Wales can gtf though. I actually want Wales to get pumped more than England, they're heads have gotten far to big for my liking. If they are all in different groups it'll be torture, a British Isles team playing every second day...

No chance of us getting a Kirin Cup or something lined up...? :ph34r:

I was listening to a bit of Sportsound tonight, which included Keith Jackson from the Daily Record. Apparently they have had "exclusive" early peeks at this so-called 'Blueprint' which Strachan has apparently drawn-up and is going to unveil soon.

Amongst other things Jackson was arguing that we have too many qualified coaches - he actually used the words 'a surplus'! - before being shot down by another guest who pointed out our numbers per head versus other countries; that we need to teach less in technique; that we have too many kids in organised youth pathways; and he seemed to downplay the facilities aspect too, claiming "molly-coddling". Usual stuff about kicking balls in the street, bringing back the reserve league, no such thing as 'non-competitive' football, too.

Not sure how much of it is his view, and how much is Strachan's, but it seems to fly in the face of recent best practice abroad.

They were saying similar stuff on Saturday as well. The basic gist being that we need to go back in time to the 70/80s when we were more successful and replicate that. There was no real acknowledgement that the world has moved on.

The truth is that we have a massive list of problems, we largely know what they are, but there's too much (for the most part) self interest to fix them.

Was half-listening to it too. Was it Jackson who cast doubt on there actually being a 'blueprint' (saying he reckoned we had latched on to Strachan's off the cuff response and promise of a 'blueprint' too literally)?

I'm hoping Strachan will be as direct as to present a manifesto of sorts

I only switched-on part way through their discussion, when Spiers was reeling-off the various thinktanks, reports and reforms which have all been introduced over recent years. Although the point I felt was screaming to be made but wasn't is "but not seen to fruition". Ripping it up and starting again every 2-4 years it not any way to improve things.

Whether there is a blueprint or not, the philosophy seems to be "back to basics". That may be fair enough - what concerns me is the fact that it is may be going to go in hand with "back in time". We all accept that we were a football power in the days of boys clubs and reserve leagues; when ex-pros drilled kids and nobody knew what a coaching badge was, when technique and tactics were learnt rather than taught, when facilities were poor. It seems to fly in the face of reason to see them as a solution for the future, though.

Jackson's assertion that we actually have too many coaches, and they are too well qualified, was extraordinary.

EDIT: That and, depending on interpretation, the need to get away from technique.

Therein lies a major issue right away....the rest of the footballing world has developed, some faster than others, yet some of the idiots commenting on.it are precisely part of the problem. Scottish football is absolutely peppered with small-minded bitter little men, with little or no gaze beyond their own doorstep. I have no doubt this is spreading to young aspiring players, who are then unsure if they are there to play football (they are) or to obey the fuckin clown in the tracksuits prehistoric instriuctions at all times. I read an article about 'good' or 'lucky' managers, who basically had teams of absolute geniuses, and how they worked against tactically-drilled yet similar ability teams (Barca 2005/6, Man City 2012 and Ancelotti's Chelsea were cited as the 'wunderteams'), and the crucial factor was the managers managed the men, not the footballer. The principle of having a player do what he can, with a smile, enjoying his fitba, is eholly transferable to any level; and has definitely been dispensed with in Scotland.

Get a grip FFS

...except it will now have been at least twenty years since we've qualified for anything, longer than any European nation who've previously qualified. This isn't a short-term failure to reach a few tournaments, and it's a bizarre notion that everyone should be content until we start finishing in the places reserved for principalities with populations similar to small Scottish towns.

I appreciate you don't give a shit about the national side, but you're getting as bad as the English/Irish/Welsh trolls who open accounts purely to have a laugh at how shite we are. The only one overreacting is you with this "youse all think we're as bad as Gibraltar" pish.

I've said on here plenty times we have always been unlucky in the big games, ie your Georgia aways, Czech Republic at home, Norways at home etc etc etc.

But when you actually think of some of the players we have had playing rationally, you can see why we've not had any 'luck'. Maybe if we had better players we'd get lucky more often...

I only switched-on part way through their discussion, when Spiers was reeling-off the various thinktanks, reports and reforms which have all been introduced over recent years. Although the point I felt was screaming to be made but wasn't is "but not seen to fruition". Ripping it up and starting again every 2-4 years it not any way to improve things.

Whether there is a blueprint or not, the philosophy seems to be "back to basics". That may be fair enough - what concerns me is the fact that it is may be going to go in hand with "back in time". We all accept that we were a football power in the days of boys clubs and reserve leagues; when ex-pros drilled kids and nobody knew what a coaching badge was, when technique and tactics were learnt rather than taught, when facilities were poor. It seems to fly in the face of reason to see them as a solution for the future, though.

Jackson's assertion that we actually have too many coaches, and they are too well qualified, was extraordinary.

EDIT: That and, depending on interpretation, the need to get away from technique.

Couldn't agree more re this urge to constantly 'rip it all up and start again'. There has been much talk of binning the Pro-Youth scheme (Wotte and Levein's thing IIRC). That's ludicrous. Our failure to qualify this time round had absolutely nothing to do with Pro-Youth. Surely we should at least let it run long enough to produce a single generation of players before judging it?

Archived