Community Clubs - What are they and what should they be?

Wishaw Secretary

The concept of community is great and all of the clubs working within that model and backdrop do superb work but I think within the huge urban mass of Glasgow just doesn't apply in the same way for the Lok and other Glasgow junior clubs.Local identity and community has really disappeared and we are just another sporting club amongst many and indeed many other distractions in a large city.Huge population changes and influxes to the area from all parts of the world have further complicated that position but the Club does its best to be part of that.If only the club could even use its ground and develop it as a sporting hub that would be great-Newlandsfield must be a hugely valuable bit of land to barter with

Interesting post.

Curious to know how the community part works with Ashfield/Glasgow Perthshire or Petershill/Rossvale.

Get the football part but you'd be limited doing much else without any space or say floodlights for midweek training.

And the social club scene was part of the community side of things, maybe cheap drink, dodgy acts and bingo is passed its sell by date but the premises wouldn't be if you looking to use the building for meetings of various kinds with the community in mind.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a fantastic Community club in Kilbirnie and were the first to achieve legacy quality mark status in the southwest

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=3081&newsCategoryID=14&newsID=12003

but they are not directly affiliated to Ladeside and have no input in the club. Quite honestly if you are waiting to produce players from it to compete at a high level...you could have a long wait.

There is no reason other than choice not to integrate in a place the size of Kilbirnie surely - other than deliberate choice.

It's not all about a production line of players. Really good young players will move into the pro youth system. But we've regularly had young guys in the squad from the community club. And the keeper for Raith in our scottish cup tie last season was one of our community club lads.

There is no reason other than choice not to integrate in a place the size of Kilbirnie surely - other than deliberate choice.

It's not all about a production line of players. Really good young players will move into the pro youth system. But we've regularly had young guys in the squad from the community club. And the keeper for Raith in our scottish cup tie last season was one of our community club lads.

Do you think these relationship are always 2 ways or something which has proved convenient?

I recall the penalty kick question at our AGM regarding attracting younger people and in reply the Community Club were not even mentioned.

Personally I would love to see more be done - maybe free entry for their players with a parent or use half time to have organised demonstration matches.

Do you think these relationship are always 2 ways or something which has proved convenient?

I recall the penalty kick question at our AGM regarding attracting younger people and in reply the Community Club were not even mentioned.

Personally I would love to see more be done - maybe free entry for their players with a parent or use half time to have organised demonstration matches.

I think there is growing evidence of 2 way. 2 years ago the relationship was nowhere near as strong as it is now. The number of players being part of the squad has grown. The MacDonald day at Prestonfield was excellent - Ruari, McGlynn and Shand working with the CC coaches. Yes there may be more to be done but it's a growing relationship.

Maybe you're looking at the difference between "community" and the structured community club. I think the Rose has always been part of our community and that's not just about working with young people. Aye,it could be better but couldn't everyone.

Maybe you're looking at the difference between "community" and the structured community club. I think the Rose has always been part of our community and that's not just about working with young people. Aye,it could be better but couldn't everyone.

Yes it certainly could be better.

For me it's about embracing change and looking to the future - it was great last season to watch so many kids at the games and this needs to be encouraged on a regular basis.

Kilbirnie has plenty of young age groups both boys and girls who are allowed into Ladeside games free of charge and are mascots on numerous occasions. They are well coached by a great team including Winston Rov player and former Blastie Robbie Cochrane. Progression through the young age groups is not a problem.... running U19 and U21 defo is a problem, guys leave, find the delights of the local pub more interesting and when you lose a good group of players when they become too old it is very difficult to replace them. U19 and U21 is what a junior club needs to be to be constantly producing to get any benefit... most from the community club end up with the amateurs.

A community club has a different agenda from a junior club especially on how money should be spent.

I notice all "community clubs " can ring off this football that football . But what about educating the kids about the clubs history ?? What about non football activities ,what about community support .what about the families who can't afford to send their kids to the club ,who can't afford the expensive training wear . I have also heard ( to my disgust) off a junior club who apply a levy to the youth club fundraisers . Namely by demanding half the scratch card profits . The idea is good but without education the kids simply return to supporting senior clubs because nobody has taught them about the community .

What about non football activities ,what about community support .what about the families who can't afford to send their kids to the club ,who can't afford the expensive training wear .

East Lothian Council have an initiative (working with a charitable organisation) that can identify and kit out kids who would otherwise struggle to take part. A good few of the sports clubs also waive membership fees - that's more discretionary

I notice all "community clubs " can ring off this football that football . But what about educating the kids about the clubs history ?? What about non football activities ,what about community support .what about the families who can't afford to send their kids to the club ,who can't afford the expensive training wear . I have also heard ( to my disgust) off a junior club who apply a levy to the youth club fundraisers . Namely by demanding half the scratch card profits . The idea is good but without education the kids simply return to supporting senior clubs because nobody has taught them about the community .

Do you seriously think that when Premiership clubs can't prevent kids from their own areas going and watching the Old Firm or "supporting" English clubs, that a Junior club has any chance? Anyway. I'd guess that the aim is to get these kids growing up and playing every Saturday into adulthood, so they wont be watching fitba anyway, they're playing it!

I hear a lot of nonsense being spoken about community clubs by people with no concept of how they operate, and most of it is pish! the other thing is that they are not there to replace non-football services run by many other community groups who are more able. If they can assist, then great.

Do you seriously think that when Premiership clubs can't prevent kids from their own areas going and watching the Old Firm or "supporting" English clubs, that a Junior club has any chance? Anyway. I'd guess that the aim is to get these kids growing up and playing every Saturday into adulthood, so they wont be watching fitba anyway, they're playing it!

I hear a lot of nonsense being spoken about community clubs by people with no concept of how they operate, and most of it is pish! the other thing is that they are not there to replace non-football services run by many other community groups who are more able. If they can assist, then great.

ok so the community has hee haw to do with this if kids can't play football ruff luck . Pensioners and middle aged folk should just sit in the house . If your disabled find somewhere else to stay .. NICE COMMUNITY !!!!

ok so the community has hee haw to do with this if kids can't play football ruff luck . Pensioners and middle aged folk should just sit in the house . If your disabled find somewhere else to stay .. NICE COMMUNITY !!!!

A few years ago I made some research into the financing and organisation of Scottish Junior football clubs and their equivalent in England and Western Australia.

Briefly, the main differences are that in Australia and in English (non-Works supported teams) clubs they are likely to be part of Community Sports Clubs with many sporting activities. The principal difference is that Members (including football players) PAY an ANNUAL FEE to access the facilities. In Perth WA one part of the city's Sporting Club allowed 2 exceptionally gifted footballers from Somalia to play for FREE and assisted them with Training expenses. All the rest of the squad paid 400 Oz Dollars per annum.

No idea what you're problem is or what you're on about frankly, disabled people need to find somewhere else to stay? quite bizarre :huh:

Kilbirnie has plenty of young age groups both boys and girls who are allowed into Ladeside games free of charge and are mascots on numerous occasions. They are well coached by a great team including Winston Rov player and former Blastie Robbie Cochrane. Progression through the young age groups is not a problem.... running U19 and U21 defo is a problem, guys leave, find the delights of the local pub more interesting and when you lose a good group of players when they become too old it is very difficult to replace them. U19 and U21 is what a junior club needs to be to be constantly producing to get any benefit... most from the community club end up with the amateurs.

A community club has a different agenda from a junior club especially on how money should be spent.

Having been involved in both the community club and the junior club, Clash has a few very valid points here, the answers to which won't be found overnight.

No idea what you're problem is or what you're on about frankly, disabled people need to find somewhere else to stay? quite bizarre :huh:

I'm glad it's not just me that's confused. Junior football is the most accessible level of the game open to any community. It's as cheap as chips to get into a game and most of the venues are within walking distance of their town centre.

Why are we confusing the requirement of a community FOOTBALL club with a need to address the rest of the ills which afflict our society.

Is the viewpoint here that if clubs can't do something for middle aged or elderly men they shouldn't seek to get young people from the community engaged in football by supporting their active interest in playing the game as part of their local club?

Maybe we should just leave it to set-ups like the Forth Valley centre of excellence and such like - an approach which would get the wee buggers out of the community and disenfranchise them even further.

Junior football clubs do not exist to deal with the shite politicians leave lying on their wake.

Two ways of looking at.

You can be an all singing and dancing football academy with first call on the local 4G pitch under floodlights local council sports centre.

Or your sitting in and old Junior ground with all the problems of maintaining it.

Or it's a combination of both.

Then you start asking for grants or handouts.

The lottery/council start asking what exactly do you do on the community front.

And then wee questions get asked about sponorship or paying players.

How does semi pro fit into the community.

What exactly are you doing with your own money.

Why do need money for new lavvies?

What have the club being doing for the 10/25/50/100 years.

And that's before anybody mentions helping the local foodbank.

Shettleston juniors Sfa accredited club with 200 kids training / playing throughout week plus affiliation to broom house amts and tower hearts u21s plus one of best social clubs in junior football. Problem seems to be trying to find good affordable facilities and volunteers.

Archived