Strachan stays

DA Baracus

Hes not even been in charge for three years FFS, give him a break. He's the best we could get, regardless of all the hipster types in here wanking over Lagerback as if he's some form of messiah and not someone who couldnt give a flying shite about the whole infrastructure of the Scotland set up.

Should have got Cathro in imo.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not suggesting that people won't pounce on setbacks. I'll probably do it myself. That's a long way however from suggesting that Scottish football fans will be praying for failure in the next campaign, in order to afford them that opportunity.

Praying for? No.

Subconsciously willing it to happen because they'd rather jump straight in with their 'told you' patter than actually support the team like most fans. On Thursday some pished c**t behind me was constantly berating Stevie Fletcher every time the ball was anywhere near him - and sometimes even when it wasn't. The guy was fucking dreadful and of course switches and celebrates his goal with the rest of us. I absolutely detest these fannies (even though I accept this is a slightly different case).

There's criticism and then there's these types.

Should have got Cathro in imo.

Thats even more hipstery I suppose!

The same people who mewl about Strachan staying on are the same ones who mewl about how we're worse than Wales and NI, not realising the irony in both these sides trying their damndest over the past decade to build a solid core for future campaigns. We need a manager, style and base group of players who'll all grow together, like those nations and most other improving ones. We dont need to sack everyone who doesnt instantly succeed.

So bad that he's lost a letter from his name as well as his pride helping a Scottish football team.

Disappointing. 20 posts in and nae c**t asks who this 'Stachan' is. Standards are slipping.

The bawbag who joined yesterday pointed it out...

Praying for? No.

Subconsciously willing it to happen because they'd rather jump straight in with their 'told you' patter than actually support the team like most fans. On Thursday some pished c**t behind me was constantly berating Stevie Fletcher every time the ball was anywhere near him - and sometimes even when it wasn't. The guy was fucking dreadful and of course switches and celebrates his goal with the rest of us. I absolutely detest these fannies (even though I accept this is a slightly different case).

There's criticism and then there's these types.

Many have been the times , I've been moaning about a player, only to be delighted when he does something brilliant.

What's wrong with that?

Perfectly normal behaviour for a supporter.

Thats even more hipstery I suppose!

The same people who mewl about Strachan staying on are the same ones who mewl about how we're worse than Wales and NI, not realising the irony in both these sides trying their damndest over the past decade to build a solid core for future campaigns. We need a manager, style and base group of players who'll all grow together, like those nations and most other improving ones. We dont need to sack everyone who doesnt instantly succeed.

So the solution is to stick with what you have?

It's amazing that any managers ever get sacked then.

So the solution is to stick with what you have? It's amazing that any managers ever get sacked then.

At International level its acceptable to give a manager who inherits an ageing squad more than two years to build things, unless hes an absolute catastrophe.

At International level its acceptable to give a manager who inherits an ageing squad more than two years to build things, unless hes an absolute catastrophe.

Yes, it's acceptable on this occasion.

I don't think it's advisable though. That's all.

Missed that. Are you Mr Grumpy tonight?

Probably. But the guy's post on another thread (I think) was a piss poor pro Irish trolling attempt. Folk are suggesting it's seamus but I've got no idea myself - just that he's posting like a fanny.

I'm happy enough. I doubt we'll qualify for the World Cup (we pretty much can't finish top, and the play-offs will be packed with better sides than us) but if we have a good campaign, maintain ourselves as third seeds at worst and hopefully even sneak into the second pot we'll have a terrific chance of getting to the Euros.

Second would be a success, third ultimately disappointing but I imagine the manner of it would decide Strachan's future beyond this campaign. A close call with a home win over Slovakia and no real slip ups elsewhere would be unlucky, failure to beat Lithuania or Malta wouldn't.

This article is almost comically succinct, but perfectly sums up my feelings on Strachan continuing as our manager.

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/2015/10/23/gordon-strachan-deserved-to-stay-on-as-scotland-boss/

Tbh, the fault really lies with the SFA. Their sycophantic nonsense about how 'the job was his if he wanted it' really is embarrassing stuff.

I was never a fan of strachan getting the job in the 1st place, but he won me over, the football we've played over the last couple of years has been a joy compared to the "flat back 10" tactics of levien & burley.

One truly awful performance & result in georgia was what cost us in this campaign, if we keep the same level of performance as we showed in most games in the euros into the WCQ's, then we'll be fine.

I was never a fan of strachan getting the job in the 1st place, but he won me over, the football we've played over the last couple of years has been a joy compared to the "flat back 10" tactics of levien & burley.

One truly awful performance & result in georgia was what cost us in this campaign, if we keep the same level of performance as we showed in most games in the euros into the WCQ's, then we'll be fine.

I'm not sure 'flat back 10' was Burley's style at all - he seemed to prefer to try to play open football with lots of width, which utterly collapsed in almost every game when opponents exposed the space and ripped us apart. in fact I'd say Burley and Strachan's approach was similar in many ways, just that Strachan has been far more canny in his approach to using that style.

I'm not sure 'flat back 10' was Burley's style at all - he seemed to prefer to try to play open football with lots of width, which utterly collapsed in almost every game when opponents exposed the space and ripped us apart. in fact I'd say Burley and Strachan's approach was similar in many ways, just that Strachan has been far more canny in his approach to using that style.

People forget because of the shocking nature of the miss but the build up play to Iwelumo's chance was actually very good in that Norway game.

Going forward we weren't awful but defensively we were a shambles under him.

Archived