Squad For Next Campaign

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was he one of the ones we chased, but ultimately he turned us down? Clearly no chance of representing England, so it's pretty transparent what he's doing if so. Still, I would absolutely have him in the squad if he wants to be there. I don't care if it's his second choice, he's better than what we have now.

Can imagine it would send the TAMB into absolute hysterics, which is always good.

If Caulker does end up playing for us then there's a partnership between him and Hanley for the next 8-10 years there. Only think is if he impresses for Liverpool and gets plenty of game time then I can see him getting called back up to the England squad.

Caulker is a no brainier if he's available. Not only to go straight into the squad, but straight into the starting 11. Don't think he's great by any measure, but he's far better than Hanley and Martin.

Am I right in saying Ritchie hadn't even been to Scotland before he played for us? This is definitely the way we should and likely will be heading in the future. Having an international team made up mostly of players who have played their whole career in England, from youth to senior level.

Scottish football can't seem to consistently produce international level players anymore for whatever reason.

If Caulker does end up playing for us then there's a partnership between him and Hanley for the next 8-10 years there. Only think is if he impresses for Liverpool and gets plenty of game time then I can see him getting called back up to the England squad.

Only seems to be playing as emergency striker for them!

That's the thing I kinda hope he is limited to the bench till the end of the season and that'll rule him out of the Euros then he'd hopefully think the best chance of getting 50+ international caps is playing for us.

He's not world class or anywhere near it but he would be as big a player for us like Ashley Williams is for Wales.

Caulker is a no brainier if he's available. Not only to go straight into the squad, but straight into the starting 11. Don't think he's great by any measure, but he's far better than Hanley and Martin.

Am I right in saying Ritchie hadn't even been to Scotland before he played for us? This is definitely the way we should and likely will be heading in the future. Having an international team made up mostly of players who have played their whole career in England, from youth to senior level.

Scottish football can't seem to consistently produce international level players anymore for whatever reason.

I'd take the odd good player if they were available and we REALLY NEEDED them but it's not the direction we should be looking to head in for f**k sake. Ireland do this quite a lot but at least they're a real country, what would even be the point if we had a team full of English born players? National team would be about as pointless as Scotland.

Hope so, last thing id want to see is us with a team/squad packed full of granny rule players. If we really need them then fine, if not then don't touch them.

But then the "if we really need them" is subjective. If there's eleven players based down south that qualify with the granny rule that are markedly better than what we have, should we call them up?

I know it's not the best position to be in, and I would much rather we were calling up players that were born, raised and play in Scotland. But we don't produce players that are good enough for that at the moment. What's more important? Having an "All-Scottish" team or achieving something?

I'd take the odd good player if they were available and we REALLY NEEDED them but it's not the direction we should be looking to head in for f**k sake. Ireland do this quite a lot but at least they're a real country, what would even be the point if we had a team full of English born players? National team would be about as pointless as Scotland.

Well we do really need them. We clearly don't have good enough players who have came through in Scotland to qualify for a major tournament.

I wasn't necessarily referring to English players with a Scottish granny, just eligible players who've spent their formative footballing years competing at a higher standard in England. Like Darren Fletcher, never kicked a ball in Scottish football and likely never will, he's the best Scotland player of the last 10 years though. I hope more of our best young players follow his path and move down south at the first opportunity they have.

Over and above that though, surely we should be picking the best players we have available? It shouldn't matter if they were born and played their whole career here like Brown or if they're coming to Scotland for the first time to play for the national team like Ritchie.

Eligibility and ability should be and I imagine are the only factors that are taken into account when naming the squad. Can't imagine WGS going through their birth certificates and thinking .. Well this guy is better but this guy was born in Scotland...

Archived