Squad For Next Campaign

I'd give Paterson the friendly games to see if he can handle the step up. He's on good form and we'll need a replacement for Hutton sooner rather than later. Is he good defensively though? I remember Gregg Wylde ripping him a new one.

As did Niall McGinn in the 3-1 win earlier this season. I've not seen much of him to be fair, twice against us where he was ok and twice against Aberdeen where one he was really poor but excellent in the latest.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cooper and Bridcutt at Leeds have looked decent when I've seen them live on the tele.

Snodgrass is back and scoring goals already.

Slightly concerned about Steven Naismith who is a vital player for us, he needs game time but I hope Norwich don't drop down a level.

We haven't seen GMS and Armstrong kick on at Celtic which is disappointing

what a fucking surprise that players swanning about on easy street at Celtic havent pushed on. See Scott Brown

Paterson is still pretty raw and has poor games from time to time but that's pretty much what you get with a 21 year old defender. He's still got tonnes of potential, more than anyone else in his position, and it'd be incredibly picky to rule him out on the basis of a couple of poor performances (especially if they were two years ago). He's mostly been defensively solid this season anyway, including when he had to play at centre-back.

To compare him to our current right-back, Alan Hutton was a joke figure at 21 and it wasn't until he was 23 that he hit shit-hot form and got a move to Spurs. Even then, that was only a couple of months after he was given a roasting by Kestutis Ivaskevicius (yep) at Tynecastle.

I wouldn't necessarily expect Paterson to come in and immediately put in flawless performances but giving him a chance in the upcoming friendlies is a no-brainer.

Paterson is still pretty raw and has poor games from time to time but that's pretty much what you get with a 21 year old defender. He's still got tonnes of potential, more than anyone else in his position, and it'd be incredibly picky to rule him out on the basis of a couple of poor performances (especially if they were two years ago). He's mostly been defensively solid this season anyway, including when he had to play at centre-back.

To compare him to our current right-back, Alan Hutton was a joke figure at 21 and it wasn't until he was 23 that he hit shit-hot form and got a move to Spurs. Even then, that was only a couple of months after he was given a roasting by Kestutis Ivaskevicius (yep) at Tynecastle.

I wouldn't necessarily expect Paterson to come in and immediately put in flawless performances but giving him a chance in the upcoming friendlies is a no-brainer.

He's already been called up to a few squads before IIRC so I'd assume he'll get a chance.

Spot on - too many folk expecting complete/finished article players at 21/22. It rarely happens that way. You've got to go with potential sometimes (and help develop it).

I've misunderstood the thread :lol: Thought this meant for the the next Euros. Aye keep all I mentioned but Gauld out until then.

No seen much of Souttar thats mainly based of FM but McKay has potential to be on the level or above some of the players Scotland have had in recent years.

I mean Ian Black has a Scotland cap ffs.

I've misunderstood the thread :lol: Thought this meant for the the next Euros. Aye keep all I mentioned but Gauld out until then.

No seen much of Souttar thats mainly based of FM but McKay has potential to be on the level or above some of the players Scotland have had in recent years.

I mean Ian Black has a Scotland cap ffs.

This post is unbelievably bad.

FM ffs :lol:

My squad for the first few games would be:

Goalkeepers: Marshall, Gordon, McGregor

Defenders: Hutton, Paterson, Martin Hanley, Berra, Mulgrew, Robertson, Shinnie

Midfielders: D.Fletcher, McArthur, Morrison, Dorrans, Armstrong, Anya, Maloney, Snodgrass

Forwards, Naismith, Griffiths, C.Martin, Rhodes

Brown and Steven Fletcher should be thanked and told they won't be first choice picks for the squad. Below par performances across the last campaign have really dropped them for me.

From that squad, my team would be;

1 - Marshall

2 - Hutton

4 - Martin

5 - Hanley

3 - Robertson

7 - Fletcher

6 - McArthur

10 - Snodgrass

8 - Morrison

11 - Anya

9 - Naismith

Anyone see Steven Caulker touting himself for a Scotland place? Has an England cap but only a friendly. Scottish gran and says he'd think about a call up. He's a decent centre half is he not?

Better than what we currently have anyway I'd imagine

Anyone see Steven Caulker touting himself for a Scotland place? Has an England cap but only a friendly. Scottish gran and says he'd think about a call up. He's a decent centre half is he not?

Been screaming this for about a year on here.

He's not good enough for England but he'd walk into our team.

Such a problem position for us.

I'd take Caulker in a heartbeat. He'd arguably be one of our best players :lol: no brainer imo.

In terms of goalkeeping, would it make sense to have 3 keepers roughly the same age, all pushing into their mid 30s in the squad as opposed to 2 with 1 younger (Bain) and giving him the experience of being involved with a Euro squad?

Archived