Squad For Next Campaign

The players aren't good enough and never have been and at this stage in most of their careers they never will be. Let's be patient and nurture the youth and I'd be confident we'd see an improvement

Like it or not but looking back at Berti's era he blooded in a few of the mainstays of the 2008 campaign who were our best squad for years, I know yet again it was glorious failure. Granted he used a large volume of players but enrolled some of the best players we had seen since 1990s

Maybe it's time to ditch the players of this squad who are used and start persisting with the youth. Results didn't always go our way in friendlies during Berti's time but the players learnt from it and became better players for it, but let's not forget we did make the play offs, no matter how it ended in 2003 we got their.

James McFadden, Darren Fletcher, Garry O'Connor, Stephen Pearson, Craig Gordon, Andy Webster, Graham Alexander and Gary Caldwell (possibly Maloney and Hartley as well) we're all thrown into the deep end. You could even add John Kennedy because if you believe the Vhictims hysteria we was a world class superstar in the making

Things weren't pretty to start with but they made a good solid base for our best campaign in years, albeit it ending in failure against Italy

We constantly hear about how in youth football it's not about winning and developing players well let's take a step back and introduce this to the first team. I'm sure if the TA can get all excited about a team off ageing imposters who fail time and time again then I'm sure we'd all get behind a team off young guys

We aren't going anywhere with this current crop so they've had their time give the younger guys a chance and be patient

While I don't doubt that some fans would be happy to see a younger squad being trialled, with no emphasis on results whatsoever...can you honestly see that happen, or go down like anything other than a huge lead balloon with the majority and with the SFA?

I'm all for introducing younger talents, but who's going to pay to watch if everyone's going into it saying "yeah, we'll write this one off"? It might be more palatable if you could 100% guarantee that it would lead to fruit in, say, 3 campaigns time, but you mentioned Berti's time, and all those wonderful players he brought in, and they haven't exactly done much good have they? In fact, you mention Maloney and Darren Fletcher, and both of which have been mentioned by some as ones for the potential chop.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I don't doubt that some fans would be happy to see a younger squad being trialled, with no emphasis on results whatsoever...can you honestly see that happen, or go down like anything other than a huge lead balloon with the majority and with the SFA?

I'm all for introducing younger talents, but who's going to pay to watch if everyone's going into it saying "yeah, we'll write this one off"? It might be more palatable if you could 100% guarantee that it would lead to fruit in, say, 3 campaigns time, but you mentioned Berti's time, and all those wonderful players he brought in, and they haven't exactly done much good have they? In fact, you mention Maloney and Darren Fletcher, and both of which have been mentioned by some as ones for the potential chop.

Well we are basically writing off campaigns as it is with the same players time and time again who are failing us

Those players didn't do much good, you're right but they were the best squad we had in years. Darren Fletcher is finished, he's never really regained his form since before his stomach virus illness but he was a vital player for many years prior to his health problems

The players aren't good enough and never have been and at this stage in most of their careers they never will be. Let's be patient and nurture the youth and I'd be confident we'd see an improvement

Like it or not but looking back at Berti's era he blooded in a few of the mainstays of the 2008 campaign who were our best squad for years, I know yet again it was glorious failure. Granted he used a large volume of players but enrolled some of the best players we had seen since 1990s

Maybe it's time to ditch the players of this squad who are used and start persisting with the youth. Results didn't always go our way in friendlies during Berti's time but the players learnt from it and became better players for it, but let's not forget we did make the play offs, no matter how it ended in 2003 we got their.

James McFadden, Darren Fletcher, Garry O'Connor, Stephen Pearson, Craig Gordon, Andy Webster, Graham Alexander and Gary Caldwell (possibly Maloney and Hartley as well) we're all thrown into the deep end. You could even add John Kennedy because if you believe the Vhictims hysteria we was a world class superstar in the making

Things weren't pretty to start with but they made a good solid base for our best campaign in years, albeit it ending in failure against Italy

We constantly hear about how in youth football it's not about winning and developing players well let's take a step back and introduce this to the first team. I'm sure if the TA can get all excited about a team off ageing imposters who fail time and time again then I'm sure we'd all get behind a team off young guys

We aren't going anywhere with this current crop so they've had their time give the younger guys a chance and be patient

Yeah but Graham Alexander was such a talented youth that Berti has no option but to throw him in, despite just how young he was.

Gordon

Marshall

Mcgregor

Bain

Hutton

Shinnie

Mulgrew

Martin

Hanley

Whittaker

Robertson

Bardsley

Berra

Greer

Anya

Morrison

Bannan

Mcarthur

Brown

Gauld

Fletcher

Armstrong

Mackay Steven

Bryson

Dorrans

Snodgrass

Ritchie

Maloney

Adam

Forrest

Naismith

Fletcher

Rhodes

Russell

Griffiths

Martin

Defence is a serious problem. We have 3/4 centre halfs if you include Mulgrew, who's always injured. Greer especially is getting on a bit and would be back up only. It's a shame Wilson hasn't pushed on from his initial inclusion in the squad.

Robertson and shinnie offer options at left back but we have no real alternative to hutton or whittaker at RB, an injury to one of them and we're struggling.

Midfield and wide have good cover but majority are around 30 mark now. We'll be ok for this campaign but we need to bring through new guys to carry on into the following campaigns.

The thing is though, none of the players you mentioned there were flung in just because they were young: when they became regulars for Scotland it was because they were the best players in their position regardless of their age. There's not really any logic to suggest that making, just as an example, Ryan Jack and John Souttar regulars ahead of McArthur, Morrison, Fletcher and Brown when they're not better than them yet will actually be beneficial for the development of the players or the national team in the long run.

By all means we should criticise when a young player who is obviously better than the alternatives isn't getting a game - Andy Robertson is superior to Whittaker in every aspect of the game and age is really the only reason you can find for Strachan's dislike of him - but for the most part, young players are left out because they aren't better than the players currently getting a game. National teams should pick their best available squad, not chuck out all over 25s just for the sake of developing for the future when all you'd be doing is sending some 18 year olds out to get pumped and have their confidence destroyed, along with falling down the rankings and making future qualifying draws harder.

Armstrong will become a regular in the next campaign and the likes of Gauld and Watt should at the least be capped in friendlies, but I'm confident that they'll get the chance to establish themselves when they're good enough on merit.

Of the players who haven't been regular starters, I only really see Stuart Armstrong and Leigh Griffiths as potential starters in the next campaign, as of this moment in time.

Hopefully Gauld will start getting regular first team football somewhere. That apart, the likes of Mackay-Steven, Watt, Russell, Shinnie, Christie, Souttar etc have a long, long way to go before they can justify a regular call-up, let alone a start.

A lot can change in a year though.

• 2 months later...

I see big Murray Wallace had a good game for Scunthorpe away at Chelsea to in the fa cup. Ex Falkirk. Just turned 23 today too. Hopefully he can impress and get a decent run there,and turn out to be a decent enough centre back for Scotland since we lack cover in that position.

Marshall

Gordon

Bain

Patterson

Whittaker

Robertson

Shinnie

Martin

Hanley

Grimmer

Cooper

Anya

Snodgrass

Phillips

Morrison

Dorrans

Brown

Ritchie

Armstrong

McArthur

McCormack

Rhodes

Naismith

Griffiths

Fletcher

Likes of Gauld, Souttar, Christie, some of the Hearts boys could be pushing for squad places come the next campaign. Donald Love of Man Utd (on loan at Wigan) is another to watch out for, similar type of ability to Paddy McNair.

So he`s shit then.

Honestly I`ve never seen McNair look anything other than awful for ManU.

Cooper and Bridcutt at Leeds have looked decent when I've seen them live on the tele.

Snodgrass is back and scoring goals already.

Slightly concerned about Steven Naismith who is a vital player for us, he needs game time but I hope Norwich don't drop down a level.

We haven't seen GMS and Armstrong kick on at Celtic which is disappointing

Agreed. It's lazy to say he's sh*te - he has clearly come onto a bit of a game this season (long overdue, admittedly)

Gary Harkins has also looked good recently. It would still be embarrassing if he played for Scotland though.

Paterson and NIcholson should be in there.

Cummings should get a call-up come March. If Lewis MacLeod can so can he.

I'd give Paterson the friendly games to see if he can handle the step up. He's on good form and we'll need a replacement for Hutton sooner rather than later. Is he good defensively though? I remember Gregg Wylde ripping him a new one.

Archived