Squad For Next Campaign

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is lots of chat about fresh players coming in to replace the likes of Whittaker, Hutton, Brown, D Fletcher & Maloney.

Realistically though, if the above names are still playing in the EPL or with an SPFL Prem club in Europe then they'll all still be picked come the first game vs Malta next September. Only Maloney isn't playing at that level but Strachan likes him and Maloney's already stated he's not going to retire.

The only thing that might change that is if certain younger players burst through the 'potential' barrier and start producing performances that dislodge the ageing first-picks.

It would be nice to see a few of the younger players really break through between now and then. Gauld, Armstrong, maybe even Tony Watt (maybe clutching at straws).

Kevin McDonald and Barry Bannan might be around the edges of the squad. Both were very talented young players who have had unfulfilled careers so far. They're coming into their peak years and might be realistic options for challenging the likes of Maloney and Brown over the next campaign. Griffiths, Rhodes, Martin, Russell, Ritchie, and James Forrest will be the others who might fancy regularly replacing those who are just a little bit older than them. It's not greatly inspiring it has to be said. The worst part is probably the fact that I haven't mentioned any defenders yet. We really need to hope for some more coming through soon.

I don't think its a huge concern for the next campaign, I think nearly all of the current squad have at least one more campaign in them. The bigger issue is producing better players in the longer term. I'm struggling to see where real improvement is going to come from.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Wallace, Halliday, Holt and Wilson getting in some squads once Rangers go up!!

Wilson has to be one of the most disappointing players over the last 10 years. He strolled his international debut, but it's been downhill since then. Thought he'd be a stand out for hearts in the top flight, he barely a stand out in the second tier.

Wallace is behind a few others at left back. It seems unlikely that he'll break through in that role now. Holt and Halliday are well down the pecking order as well. They've got an awful lot to do to suggest they're worth a place.

Wilson has to be one of the most disappointing players over the last 10 years. He strolled his international debut, but it's been downhill since then. Thought he'd be a stand out for hearts in the top flight, he barely a stand out in the second tier.

Wallace is behind a few others at left back. It seems unlikely that he'll break through in that role now. Holt and Halliday are well down the pecking order as well. They've got an awful lot to do to suggest they're worth a place.

My reasoning was that in the past it usually took a move to the Old Firm before Scotland took a chance on players, so in my eyes, if they boys are playing and doing ok in the SPFL, then they most probably get a call up at some stage!!

Next Campaign for World cup on squad face Malta (September)

Keeper

David Marshall

Craig Gordon

Jamie MacDonald

Defender

Christophe Berra

Grant Hanley

Russell Martin

Liam Cooper

Callum Paterson

Jack Grimmer

Andrew Robertson

Graeme Shinnie

Midfielder

James McArthur

Graham Dorrans

Ryan Christie

Ryan Gaulds

Kevin MacDonald

James Henry

Shaun Maloney

Tom Cairney

Matt Ritchie

Ikechi Anya

Striker

Steven Fletcher

Ross McCormack

Steve Naismith

Leigh Griffith

Johnny Russell

I think we'll keep the bulk of this squad together, because most of the players knocking on the door simply aren't good enough or ready to be involved. I'd expect a couple of the fringe players to make a breakthrough though.

Goalkeepers:

David Marshall

Craig Gordon

Scott Bain

Defence:

Alan Hutton

Steven Whittaker

Andy Robertson

Graeme Shinnie

Russell Martin

Grant Hanley

Christophe Berra

Midfield:

Darren Fletcher

Scott Brown

James Morrison

James McArthur

Stuart Armstrong

Matt Ritchie

James Forrest

Ikechi Anya

Robert Snodgrass

Forwards:

Steven Fletcher

Steven Naismith

Chris Martin

Leigh Griffiths

I'm not saying that's the squad I'd necessarily want, but that's the one I'd expect at this moment in time . Of course there's plenty of time between now and then, and almost a full season of club football to be played, so it's perfectly possible that players like Gauld, Christie, Watt (at a push) or even someone like Callum Paterson (although I don't think he'll be good enough) to force their way into the plans.

Marshall

Gordon

Bain

Patterson

Whittaker

Robertson

Shinnie

Martin

Hanley

Grimmer

Cooper

Anya

Snodgrass

Phillips

Morrison

Dorrans

Brown

Ritchie

Armstrong

McArthur

McCormack

Rhodes

Naismith

Griffiths

Fletcher

Likes of Gauld, Souttar, Christie, some of the Hearts boys could be pushing for squad places come the next campaign. Donald Love of Man Utd (on loan at Wigan) is another to watch out for, similar type of ability to Paddy McNair.

The squad is good but many of the players at a similar average level. I personally would say Maloney is the pick of the bunch and I know from Strachan's Celtic days that his best performances were achieved when had Maloney was in his team.

In a squad of 22 there should always be room for development players. Would Christie & Gauld learn more from being in and around the main squad and getting the odd 30mins rather than playing an under-21 game?

It's probably the biggest fault of all our managers all the way back to and including Craig Brown with one notable exception who was left with no alternative but to play a team of inexperienced players.

Going to be pretty much the same core group of players unless we find a few world class defenders between now and 11 months time.

Snodgrass will be a huge bonus.

Realistically we should be looking to maybe sneak 3rd place from Slovenia and build towards a push for Euro 2020.

Looks like the players coming through are of a similar or worse standard than those whose Scotland careers are coming to an end.

Can see us going another 20 years without a major tournament to be honest.

Looks like the players coming through are of a similar or worse standard than those whose Scotland careers are coming to an end.

Can see us going another 20 years without a major tournament to be honest.

The Pro Youth thing implemented by Wotte is likely to bear fruit (or fail to) within the next 5-10 years. It'll be interesting to see what comes out of that.

That is exactly the problem

There's a happy medium to be had. Cut 10% of the squad, 2-3 players, loose and bring in the best young (18-21 yo, not 25 yo) talents available to replace them. Everyone'll feel a fair bit better with just a few baby steps in that direction (it certainly felt good seeing Andy Robertson making the breakthrough, though I don't like the stop-start nature of his international career since then - we should be showing faith in him and starting him in every game IMO)

That is exactly the problem

It's not though at all, is it?

If we had a plethora of players better than those in the squad then that would be an issue. We don't though, the players that get picked are, by en large, the best we have.

I'd want Strachan to mix it up a bit and bring in a couple of younger players to the squad, but there's no point playing youth for the sake of it, they have to be of a standard comparable to what we have or it's a waste of time.

People who complain about some of our players almost always fail to suggest a legitimate replacement for them. Hutton gets a lot of stick for example, but for all his faults, we simply don't have another right back of similar calibre. Same with the centre backs.

The players aren't good enough and never have been and at this stage in most of their careers they never will be. Let's be patient and nurture the youth and I'd be confident we'd see an improvement

Like it or not but looking back at Berti's era he blooded in a few of the mainstays of the 2008 campaign who were our best squad for years, I know yet again it was glorious failure. Granted he used a large volume of players but enrolled some of the best players we had seen since 1990s

Maybe it's time to ditch the players of this squad who are used and start persisting with the youth. Results didn't always go our way in friendlies during Berti's time but the players learnt from it and became better players for it, but let's not forget we did make the play offs, no matter how it ended in 2003 we got their.

James McFadden, Darren Fletcher, Garry O'Connor, Stephen Pearson, Craig Gordon, Andy Webster, Graham Alexander and Gary Caldwell (possibly Maloney and Hartley as well) we're all thrown into the deep end. You could even add John Kennedy because if you believe the Vhictims hysteria we was a world class superstar in the making

Things weren't pretty to start with but they made a good solid base for our best campaign in years, albeit it ending in failure against Italy

We constantly hear about how in youth football it's not about winning and developing players well let's take a step back and introduce this to the first team. I'm sure if the TA can get all excited about a team off ageing imposters who fail time and time again then I'm sure we'd all get behind a team off young guys

We aren't going anywhere with this current crop so they've had their time give the younger guys a chance and be patient

Archived