Berwick v East Fife

A mouthwatering encounter this Saturday at Shielfield.

Berwick are buzzing after yet another pulsating display saw them lift the highly prized City Cup in front of thousands of ecstatic supporte......

OK, I exaggerate a tad. Maybe we should be grateful that it's not the whole of Fife coming south this weekend.

Berwick have played some turgid stuff in the last month or so, but we've ground out a few points that we wouldn't have got last season when playing much better.

Anything could happen

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the second quarter of the season returns after a week off with both sides playing and winning in their local cup match this weekend, it's certainly is a mouthwatering game after putting five past your mob earlier on home turf should be a cracker so let the Saturday football weekend kick off again. Fife narrow win and Berwick will have their players back who missed that game earlier and few back from injury ie banjo #MonTheFife

If there is going to be another 5 goal thriller, I suspect it'll be along the same lines as the howking we got at New Bayview at the start of the season.

i wandered along to the Lothian Thistle/HV game on Saturday, and, frankly, we were horseshit. Thistle were halfway decent but not brilliant. We kicked off with 4 first team starters (Notman, Drummond, Coultress/Morris and Henderson), but everyone else was a first team squad member. This was a real chance for fringe players to make an impression but not many did. Mark Walters in goal was motm, pulling off one very good save, an astonishing point blank save when it looked impossible for the boy to miss, and two excellent penalty saves in the shoot out (he also guessed the right way every time). If he's forced to come off his line to meet an advancing attacker he's a red card walking, but he's capable of saves Kevin Walker can only dream of. Barry Hogg showed some nice touches in midfield, Dwayne Coultress looked good when he got the ball which was far too infrequently, and Notman and Drummond looked a cut above. The rest were very poor. We're one paced and plodding, and there's a killing lack of creativity in the midfield. OK, so we rested Fairbairn, both Grahams, McKenna, Beveridge and Walker, but anyone coming along to that game not in the know would have rated the team in balck and yellow stripes (Thistle) more highly than the team in sky blue(us).

Unless there's a serious improvement we'll get butchered on Saturday. If it hastens a change in manager, then that might be no bad thing.

Mark Walters in goal was motm, pulling off one very good save, an astonishing point blank save when it looked impossible for the boy to miss, and two excellent penalty saves in the shoot out (he also guessed the right way every time). If he's forced to come off his line to meet an advancing attacker he's a red card walking, but he's capable of saves Kevin Walker can only dream of.

I wasn't there obviously, and I guess he had a good game, and fair play., but let's not get carried away. Walker is a better all-round keeper IMO. Unbelievable at St Mirren. Seen both (Walker also in coaching sessions) no comparison.

I wasn't there obviously, and I guess he had a good game, and fair play., but let's not get carried away. Walker is a better all-round keeper IMO. Unbelievable at St Mirren. Seen both (Walker also in coaching sessions) no comparison.

Fair enough. I'd still take Billy Bald over either of them. Academic point though. They're our keepers for the season, end of. Still no sign of any loan players. Maybe the Tories have banned them. Either that or Colin's contacts book has been nicked.

They all seem to be Cameron's most important match of the season. A loss, or even a draw against Shire, and he would surely have gone. Instead we were pretty crap but got 3 points. So, on to the next match.

From the players quotes and twitter feeds, it seems that team spirit is good and they are all behind Cameron and Dair. We desperately need to see that on the pitch though.

Our midfield and central defence is a lot stronger than the flimsy line up that caved in 5 times at Methil, but it is still our main weakness.

Think I'll need an extra pint before this one.

If everyone can put the pre-match excitement on hold for a moment, I see Charlie Denton had another storming match at Ochilview on Tuesday night. He looked one of the most promising imports during pre-season. About time he was given the chnace to show what he can do at first team level ahead of clumpers like Russell, Morris et al. It's not as if the squad is overflowing with tenacious ball-playing midfielders.

Anyone going along on Saturday?

Archived