whats the problem with scottish football

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When we play the better teams, we adapt our game to break up their pattern. Unfortunately, they have enough talent to work around these spoiling tactics.

When we play poorer teams, they adapt their game to break up our pattern. Unfortunately, we don't even attempt to work around these spoiling tactics or, if we do, the adaptation involves the least pacy wingers pumping crosses into our 6' tall strikers who are being marked by 6'4" tall defenders.

Q. How many Scotland managers does it take to change a light bulb?

A. One, but he's not going to change it because it worked well in the past.

Guest Back Post Misses

We have a game run by two CV enhancing chancers that don't care about Scottish Football.

Has to be a great recipe for success that.

Whatever is wrong with Scottish football you can bet your last Dollar on the fact that despite all the bleeding heart platitudes that will issue forth from the SFA et al that precisely nothing will change in Scottish football, with the possible exception of the poor fucking sap doing the manager's job

To make some serious points;

Football just isn't played very well in Scotland. We develop players who are competent in the basics but who seem to have the creativity coached out of them. We hardly have anyone who will take on a man or try something different. Worse is the way we play the game, and specifically how our defence just smash the ball aimlessly up the pitch. It's a terrible way to play. It just gives away possession, something we are terrible at keeping, and of course you need possession to score and to stop the opposition from scoring. Our goal kicks are the same. Look at how players expectantly all line up around the halfway line whenever there's a goal kick. It's meaningless caveman stuff in the context of how other teams play football. I caught a little bit of the England Estonia game last night and even Estonia tried to keep the ball instead of doing it most times. If things don't change teams like them will catch up and pass us, because we've stood still in terms of progression for far too long. If we do win a flick on, it just goes straight to the opposition keeper. That's garbage stuff. Also our players are too static most of the time. There isn't nearly enough movement to create passing opportunities.

Another huge thing for me is the mentality of the Scottish game. The whole 'keep it tight and nick something away' pish. We seem to shite it in many away games and settle for draws. An away draw is almost always seen as a good result simply because it's away. The mentality side also ties in with the inability to keep possession and the lack of creativity. It's fear. Often defenders just punt it long because they are terrified of making a mistake. Folk won't take a man on because they are frightened to make an error. Perhaps this is why our players seem so static in comparison with those of other countries. Managers seen to spout the same crap they were taught in our coaching system. So many are just interchangeable without their own ideas or influences on how football should be played. The mentality seems to be prevelant in the Scottish support as well. So many are so impatient, and scared themselves to try something new, which is why Scottish football fans are amongst the most boring, quiet and unoriginal in the world. Also there seems to be some sort of air of privilege among many of our fans for some reason.

Basically we are going about things the wrong way in nearly all aspects.

As a nation, we don't have the facilities, the climate or the traits to succeed at football.

We should concentrate on sports such as carpet bowls that are played indoors and require little, if any, athleticism.

If we really want to improve our football, the first thing we should do is get rid of all of these signs.

_44206014_ballsign203.jpg

There are more facilities now than ever. You can hardly move for astro grass parks. I think there is too much reliance on the academy model. It is a good theory, but the system is infested with highly qualified coaches who know very little about football.

There are more facilities now than ever. You can hardly move for astro grass parks. I think there is too much reliance on the academy model. It is a good theory, but the system is infested with highly qualified coaches who know very little about football.

It's getting on them that's the problem. Many excellent facilities exist - though still not nearly enough - but are surrounded by a 15ft high fence that prevent kids actually accessing them. And if it's not that it's the cost to hire them. The vast majority of the time I pass these pitches they are completely deserted.

As for the OP - there are numerous issues, but our interpretation of the laws of the game don't help. Players are allowed to foul with impunity and 'leaving a mark' on a talented ball player is still seen as a valid tactic. We need to protect these players in our game, not figure out different ways to boot them. GMS at Dundee United used to take some punishment. Most of the time I watched him he was getting launched in the air.

Tanner ba player ^^

Too many kids living too comfortable an existence with too many options to spend their time other than kicking a ball about repeatedly.

Too small a population.

Football coaches now using the game to make some extra cash through greed rather than coaching boys for the fun of it.

All huge cultural issues that wont be affected at all by giving some randoms some coaching badges and a new set of balls.

Been thinking about it for a while and there is a million things flying through my head but I can't pick out a specific reason really. I'll try just now.

Looking at it from the top, I don't like Regan and Doncaster. I don't think they get our game up here, along with other SFA soup takers. Even the pricing this campaign has been disgraceful but thats for another time.

The majority of clubs in Scotland now would rather use players from their youth system than sign a journeyman or unknown foreign player since the money has dried up a bit and the financial difficulties for a few teams have kicked in after years of spending.

Looking at our 2 biggest clubs Celtic and Rangers ( ignoring the newco/most successful club in the world bollocks ). They don't do enough for our national team. They need to produce the Scottish talent up here. They hoover up all the best kids in the country for their under's teams but how many are coming through to the first team? Rangers have had an ok record at this over the years when you look at previous Scotland team but the onus is on to keep producing talent. There are no excuses here, they tap up all the best talented kids at very young ages. Might sound controversial and I'm sure there will be plenty that disagree but I think for Scotland to improve we need the Old Firm focusing a lot more on their young Scottish players.

The no ball signs hanging up in villages and towns all over the country won't help either. Look at the Lisbon Lion team, how many of them learnt and practised their skills by kicking a ball about the street? It's an easy excuse to use blame it on video games ect but when I was a boy there was all of that but in the summer and school holidays we used to play football for hours and hours a day. I can see why some parents don't let their kids out the house now because there are some amount of weirdo's that have appeared out of the blue over the last 20 years, maybe thats to do with the internet becoming popular. When you drive past or take your kids/dog down the local park how many kids do you see playing football? Really rare these days. Even in my neighbourhood everyone keeps themselves to themselves but 15 years ago you'd know everyone and be out playing football with other kids, or even out on a bike. Probably sounds daft.

I don't accept this pish about the Scotland fans celebrating defeat ect. The guys that spend thousands of pounds a year following Scotland will be hurting just as much as we are on here. Who are we to say what they should do after another pumping. Should they go back to their hotel and cry themselves to sleep? Or get the first train back up to Dundee/Aberdeen/Inverness and not dare have a nightout in Glasgow after the game with their pals? I think the people who keep repeating that nonsense are worse because they want to have an excuse to moan about they guys.

Meh still don't have a clue whats wrong and how we can sort it.

The weather isn't an excuse (ask Iceland, Norway, Sweden or even Northern Ireland and England).

It isn't usually freezing. Utter pish that only an utter moron would slaver.

The population arguement has been to death on here (but again, ask Iceland or Northern Ireland, or Uruguay).

The 'too many options' thing is also nonsense. We've had home computer consoles since the 1980s. Folk have been able to watch football from all over the world since 1992. Video and DVD players have always been affordable and widely availablr since their inception. The internet became really popular in the late 90s, with home PCs becoming available in the mid 90s.

Plenty of other nations have the same 'distractions' not to mention other sports being much more popular (Wales and Ireland with rugby for example) but they've qualified and produced top players.

The group was a stinker - good luck to NIreland but if the groups were swapped the name of this thread would be France16 here we come!

It's in contrast to the Rugby World Cup Scotland quality from a relatively decent group. If they were in England's group instead of Wales they wouldn't have won in Twickenham.

The two matches against Poland were the best international matches I've watched in years & years. I thought the match in Warsaw was top quality. While the return at Hampden wasn't as good but Scotland recovered from 1 down by scoring 2 wonderful goals.

The Scotland fans have to share some of the blame now for the nation under performing. It was all going so well on Thursday night but they just couldn't help themselves and had to burst into an endless chorus of Doh a Dear a female deer. Dear oh dear.

Now when I first heard it being sung in 1996 in Austria (the land of Maria no less) it was the funniest thing I'd ever heard football fans sing. Now nearly 20 years on it's no funny any more, it's a total embarrassment. Making Scotland fans the most camp fans in the world. Compare the two sets of fans at Hampden the big Polish boys v the wee D'oh a deer clan.

Until this song is ditched Scotland will never qualify for a major tournament. Which is not a bad thing until TT come up with some new material.

The 2018 World Cup will be difficult but the 2020 Euros is definitely achievable. I just hope Vienna isn't one of the cities selected.

Archived