whats the problem with scottish football

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What i spotted from last night and throughout the campaign (and probably recent history) is how poor every player in the team is at the basics (e.g. ball still bouncing after first touch, inability to make simple 5/10 yard passes, players scared to take possesion of the ball if they have a man on, players scared to pass the ball to an opponent who has a man on).

I'd say that every team we play (including the minnows) look far more comfortable in possession of the football than we do. If you dont trust the players to do the basics then it makes the game a million times more difficult. The reason for this must be the coaching the players receive from youth, something has got to change.

In regards to the system we play, what is the point in the two sitting midfielders when everytime the defence has the ball they dont have any option but to lump it long or wide. Surely, one or both of the sitting midfielders should be dropping deep to give the option of a short pass out of defence. Not sure if they are instructed by the manager not to drop deep and take the ball or if they are just terrified to take possession in their own half as they will no doubt lose it due to the points raised above.

Too slow and not clever enough.

That's Scottish people generally TBF.

What i spotted from last night and throughout the campaign (and probably recent history) is how poor every player in the team is at the basics (e.g. ball still bouncing after first touch, inability to make simple 5/10 yard passes, players scared to take possesion of the ball if they have a man on, players scared to pass the ball to an opponent who has a man on).

Er, we'll ignore the fact it was actually a decent result against a much better side.

its continual patchwork,

fail a qualifying campaign, couple of guys get too old, we bring in a couple of younger guys to supplement the returning failures

fail the next one, few guys chuck it again, we supplement the returning failures with more younger guys, however the previous younger guys have now got a failure on their belt and likely not as much game time as really needed to bed into the squad because we think "experience is better always"

oh and having mark mcghee in the management team is a no no,

As a nation, we don't have the facilities, the climate or the traits to succeed at football.

We should concentrate on sports such as carpet bowls that are played indoors and require little, if any, athleticism.

If we really want to improve our football, the first thing we should do is get rid of all of these signs.

_44206014_ballsign203.jpg

As a nation, we don't have the facilities, the climate or the traits to succeed at football.

We should concentrate on sports such as carpet bowls that are played indoors and require little, if any, athleticism.

If we really want to improve our football, the first thing we should do is get rid of all of these signs.

_44206014_ballsign203.jpg

That's just an easy scapegoat. Some areas might be lacking, but others aren't, and still don't get used as much as they should. Is it not that kids just don't want to go out and kick a ball around for hours like previous generations did? There's other distractions there that I certainly didn't have. Then the ones that are good enough seem to be hoovered up by larger clubs, then trained to the point where football must seem like a chore, before most of them get papped out for being not good enough (or not big enough).

Or maybe we're just not as good as other nations.

That's just an easy scapegoat. Some areas might be lacking, but others aren't, and still don't get used as much as they should. Is it not that kids just don't want to go out and kick a ball around for hours like previous generations did? There's other distractions there that I certainly didn't have. Then the ones that are good enough seem to be hoovered up by larger clubs, then trained to the point where football must seem like a chore, before most of them get papped out for being not good enough (or not big enough).

Or maybe we're just not as good as other nations.

My parents still live in the same house that I grew up in. I used to play shootie-in in the car park behind neighbouring houses with a lamp-post serving as one of the goal-posts, allowing games to continue even when it got dark. My mother would shout me in for tea/bed over the garden wall.

On visiting my parents, I have noticed that the same lamp-post now "boasts" a No Ball Games sign, as do countless other grassed areas nearby. The nearest park where football is permitted is half a mile away and is one of only two such parks in the town. They don't get used because they're not convenient.

I think that, millions of years ago, Scotland user to be part of the North American continental shelf.

We should apply to join CONCACAF on that basis. We'd probably qualify for the World Cup more often than not and would be pretty certain to make the Gold Cup.

I think that, millions of years ago, Scotland user to be part of the North American continental shelf.

We should apply to join CONCACAF on that basis. We'd probably qualify for the World Cup more often than not and would be pretty certain to make the Gold Cup.

Was part of Africa mate. No chance we're qualifying from there.

Guest DAVIDB69

Players have limited fitness and are very slow.

That's something you notice when watching Wales and both Ireland's how much quicker and fitter their players are

The fitness thing is bollocks. It's a cliched load of shite moronic football fans say when things aren't going their way. Many of the Scottish and Irish players play for the same teams.

Archived