Scottish Uncapped XI

Right so after yet another glorious failure at attempting to qualify for another international tournament. You've got people once more calling for more home based, non-Celtic players to get a chance. So here's my question to you, what would your uncapped (or very rarely) Scottish based, Scottish eleven? Would it do better than the current batch (probably not) are there any that definitely deserve a chance, what positions are we lost likely scuppered for??

If anyone's interested my team would be as followed -

Bain

Paterson, Taylor, Reynolds, Shinnie

Jack, Armstrong

O'Hallaron, Christie, Stewart

Griffiths

Ok, on reflecting that team isn't qualifying for anything any time soon, but surely it'd at least play decent football and have a bit of excitement. So over to you I guess.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shinnie, Armstrong and Griffiths should all be close to starting at the moment.

O'Halleran and Christie both look to have a lot of potential but are a fair bit off right now.

I've just seen you've put Paterson in, fucking hell.

I think this thread highlights the problem we have in the Scottish national team. Plenty of players who can play in the role behind the main striker - 7 or 8 very decent examples on this thread - but the defensive options are shite. I can't think of many better options than Paterson at right back to be honest. Mcginn isn't any better, probably worse, Mackay is old (and utilised at centre back these days) and I think most other sides don't even have a Scottish option as their first pick.

As long as Strachan is manager, most of the players mentioned in this thread, Celtic and Aberdeen players excepted, will struggle to get anywhere near a squad.

Griffiths has been capped and I'm sure Taylor is English but has played for Wales.

Also, O'Halloran over Walker, Nicholson, GMS, Pawlett etc?

Pawlett is nowhere near as good as O'Halloran tbh.

Taylor is English and has the choice of Wales & Scotland. He's not capped.

I think this thread highlights the problem we have in the Scottish national team. Plenty of players who can play in the role behind the main striker - 7 or 8 very decent examples on this thread - but the defensive options are shite. I can't think of many better options than Paterson at right back to be honest. Mcginn isn't any better, probably worse, Mackay is old (and utilised at centre back these days) and I think most other sides don't even have a Scottish option as their first pick.

The only other notable, Scottish, right-backs in the Premiership are Fraser and Gordon.

As long as Strachan is manager, most of the players mentioned in this thread, Celtic and Aberdeen players excepted, will struggle to get anywhere near a squad.

And Dave Mackay....

Both are reasonably decent, but again Strachan wouldn't even consider them.

Id probably have Shinnie at right back ahead of Paterson tbh, suppose youre then struggling for a left back. Is there any chance that Ash Taylor and Josh Meekings will ever be eligible for us?

Indeed the whole point here was to illustrate a lack of depth in positions. As has been proven. I don't even rate Paterson, but there's literally nobody else.

Archived