World cup 2018 campaign

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

England planning on taking the 2018 qualifiers on the road. Doesn't say whether the Scotland game will move but there'll be a few low pointers with twitchy arses tonight

If any one game of their fixtures is to be played at Wembley, surely it'll be vs us.

So how did they qualify?

Finished second in group. Only the top team qualified. Wales eliminated.

Israel had got all the way to the World Cup through the Asian/African section as everybody kept withdrawing and refusing to play them.

FIFA changed the rules so that everybody had to play at least one tie to qualify and so decided Israel would have to play a European team.

Nowadays they'd probably have the best runner-up enter the playoffs which would've meant... not Wales.

Instead, they decided to have a random draw to decide who would play the Israelis.

The random draw was won by, you've guessed it, errrrm... Belgium.

Belgium for some reason decided they couldn't be arsed (my internet research hasn't found a reason).

Wales won the redraw and beat a piss-poor Israel team without any competitive practise in the playoffs.

Jammiest qualification ever.

Israel had got all the way to the World Cup through the Asian/African section as everybody kept withdrawing and refusing to play them.

FIFA changed the rules so that everybody had to play at least one tie to qualify and so decided Israel would have to play a European team.

Nowadays they'd probably have the best runner-up enter the playoffs which would've meant... not Wales.

Instead, they decided to have a random draw to decide who would play the Israelis.

Belgium for some reason decided they couldn't be arsed (my internet research hasn't found a reason).

Wales won the redraw and beat a piss-poor Israel team without any competitive practise in the playoffs.

They probably played Israel 'with heavy hearts' though.

I've never seen proper confirmation of what happened with the Israel 'test-match' in 1958. I happened to notice in the WC 1958 Qualifiers talk page on Wikipedia a Swedish source says all runners-up were eligible (not just UEFA) and both Belgium and Uruguay refused.

We, India and France refused in 1950.

Oh the shame they only finished second. We couldn't even finish third ffs.

England planning on taking the 2018 qualifiers on the road. Doesn't say whether the Scotland game will move but there'll be a few low pointers with twitchy arses tonight

Old Trafford? Good jolly for the boys without London prices?

Seriously tho wtf? I think national stadiums are a waste of money both in England and Scotland. But if you paid 700 million for the feckin thing you might as well use it!

Seriously tho wtf? I think national stadiums are a waste of money both in England and Scotland. But if you paid 700 million for the feckin thing you might as well use it!

Apparently they've 'refinanced' Wembley, so aren't under as much pressure to pay off the whopping debt and can afford to tour the country.

Apparently they've 'refinanced' Wembley, so aren't under as much pressure to pay off the whopping debt and can afford to tour the country.

Wow even so that's absolutely mental building a whopping big stadium to then not use it. Off topic but is the lease not up for Hampden soon? If so we could sell it bulldoze it and invest the money, queens park could be given something to meet their needs for a small cost? Its a terrible park to watch fitbaw in , alternate between park head and ibrox for the big games and round the country for the less popular ones?

I would prefer Wembley simply because we would be entitled to more tickets under the 5 % rule . do England sell out their home games for qualifiers?

I guess not playing at Wembley would be easier as they can just have an NFL game during the international week.

As an NFL fan, I'd prefer that. If the Bears play in London I could watch it without worrying about missing the Villa (although that could be a blessing).

Give us St James park. Just over an hour away on the train and an easy point. Plus it's a decent night out

Archived