St Johnstone vs Partick Thistle - 17/10/2015

I'm well aware Scotland have two extremely important International matches over the next week or so, but I'm already looking forward to this game far more.

Eight goals between the sides in the weekend just past. We've looked a ropey at the back and excellent going forward all season, so hopefully we'll get another high scoring goal fest.

In terms of team selection, Tommy (if Baldemort doesn't pinch him) has a bit of a quandary. We have just beaten the league leaders 5-1 away from home, yet we were missing our 1st choice goalkeeper (Mannus) , our first choice centre back (Anderson), our midfield general (Millar) and our most creative/fast player (O'Halloran). The team we played on Saturday is more a counter attacking fit, but I wouldn't be surprised if Tommy kept faith in the same outfield players, with only Mannus coming back in for Clark in goal.

I'd like to see us go;

Mannus

Shaughnessy Mackay Scobbie Easton

O'Halloran Davidson Craig Lappin

Cummins Maclean

Subs: Clark, Wotherspoon, Sutton, Kane, Millar, Anderson, Fisher

Dat bench :o

Those who regularly read my posts will be surprised at Lappin's presence in my 11, but he's undoubtedly made game changing contributions in the last 3 matches. Second goal against Rangers, winner against United off the bench and 4 of his set pieces against Aberdeen lead to goals. I'm still not sure his overall game offers us very much, but I can't argue with the way games have gone with him on the park over the last few weeks.

Looking forward to it already :D

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lappin deserves to keep his place. Midgey hasn't been as good as he was last season - and that's no criticism given how good he was - so a bit of a rest won't do him harm.

I'd be tempted to bring back Anderson though - I know he's been shocking in the couple of games he's played, but he's a better CB than Scobbie.

Up front picks itself at the moment.

Until Saturday, I would have had no hope whatsoever that we'd get something from this. I'm still not overly confident, but I think we'll maybe get a draw out of this. You'd have to hope that the team will have a wee bit of morale and confidence about them now, and that should hopefully allow for a good performance.

I'd play almost the same team as Saturday for this one. My only change would maybe be Welsh dropping out for Edwards.

Cerny

Dumbuya - Seaborne - Lindsay - Booth

Osman - Edwards

Amoo - Lawless - Bannigan

Pogba

Welsh holds onto the ball slightly too long and his touch lets him down to often, and I think we'll be punished if that happens in this game. Pogba was impressive against United and I think he could do well against the St Johnstone defence who've been poor this season. I'm also firmly of the opinion that Lindsay has to start this one, based on being the only centre back we have with anything approaching pace. O'Hallorhan is the biggest threat IMO and we'll need to nullify that to get anything, and despite being a big fan of Frans, I don't think he's the man to do it.

Pretty sure we've done ok in Perth of late as well, although they seem a totally different side to the last few years. With them free scoring, and us hopefully turning a corner from the shambolic start, it could be a very interesting contest.

I'll say 2-2.

Knowing us we'll have seven players injured in training between now and then.

Wright

Fisher - Anderson - Scobbie - Callum Davidson

George Browning

Caddis - Murray Davidson - Lappin - Cummins

Roddy Grant

7-6 final score to somebody, Browning gets MoM despite only covering two square yards throughout the 90 minutes simply for belly flopping Ryan Stevenson

Do Saint Johnston have any players under 30?

Our youngest player is 35

In all seriousness only six of our 22 man squad are over 30, with only one player at 29, unless someones had a birthday to change that recently

I'd keep Clark in goal. Apart from the corner that led to Aberdeen's goal he's apparently done little wrong so I think it'd be unfair to drop him. However going by how Kane's been treated I'd expect Mannus to go straight back in.

I'd be more confident of us getting a result in the Bernabau or the Nou Camp.

That's just a great read.

Games are usually tight between Thistle and Saints, apart from the 3-0 humping we took through there last season. Partick have usually had a lot of possession and knocked it about nicely, but lacked any punch in the final third when they've come to McDiarmid. They usually bring a decent support through and try to make a bit of noise to back the Jags, so hopefully they do so again on the back of their great result last weekend.

This season, however, with our new found attacking formation of 2-2-6 it could be a different story with loads of chances at both ends.

6-3 Saints. But nobody notices in the 90 minute Tommy Wright appreciation fiesta...

Unless he left and joined utd..

Going to go for 4 of our 18 a week on Saturday not being born the last time we won in Perth on 13 November 1993. (Edwards, Lindsay, Nisbet, and either Fraser or Wilson).

edit: full list of games since then, 16 and counting.

post-107-0-20112100-1444122522_thumb.png

Archived