Summer signings early impressions

Dale Hilson: Looked really promising from the games he has featured in. Very strong for a wee guy and nippy aswell. Looks to have a good eye for goal. Unfortunately picked up an injury but will hopefully be back soon

Darren Brownlie: Pish. Cant pass, hides from the game and genuinely can see why he struggled to feature for the leagues worst team last seson.

Steven Higgins: Pish

Shaun Rutherford: Everything is pointing towards pish. Struggling to get into squad so the omens dont look good.

Robbie Thomson: A safe pair of hands and solid enough. Needs to release ball quicker though and improve distribution.

Kyle Jacobs: Not good at all Im afraid. His passing ability or lack of it puts us in constant danger. He does give his all though which you have to commend him for.

Jordan Marshall: Has been good so far. Not the finished article but has good attributes for one so young. Has pace, tenacity and a decent left peg.

Ryan Conroy: Pre season and early season form was highly encouraging but his level has dipped in recent weeks. Has been ok though and some people imo have been overly harsh on him as there has been far worse performers ie Millar.

Hutton and Heffernan. Heffernan looks a waste of a wage and until saturday I had kind of tagged Hutton along the same lines. However he wasnt bad in the 2nd half in the last game and if he keeps that up while getting even more match sharp he may be a useful addition

Oliver: Could go either way for me. Very one footed with a poor touch but very energetic and always shows for the ball

Coogans: Not looking promising given his lack of game time.

Mark Brown - Aside from one or two hairy moments he's been solid. 7/10

Gregor Buchanan - For me has been our best signing so far. When he first came I felt he was getting caught under the ball too often but he's rid himself of those mistakes and has won our player of the month award for September. 8/10.

Mark Docherty - Another solid signing. Lacks pace but his determination and positional sense can help him out there. 7/10.

Darren Barr - Like Buchanan, has probably been one of our best players. He was shifted out to right back for a couple of games where he didn't look comfortable but he's making a good partnership with Gregor Buchanan in there. 8/10.

Darren Miller - Signed and released without playing a minute of competitive football. Aitken admitted he made a mistake in signing him. 0/10.

Grant Gallagher - After a strong start to his Sons career he has lost his way a wee bit, between some bad performances and being asked to play out of his normal position. I like him, but I think he needs to show more than he has done overall. 6.5/10.

Willie Gibson - The talisman who can sometimes flatter to deceive. His work rate for the team is invaluable on the wing and he's capable of something special but at times I think he can be too casual/try too much when there are easier options available. Without doubt he's been our biggest threat this season though. 7/10.

Kevin Cawley - Tidy wee player, never hides in games even if he's having a stinker. Like him a lot but I think we need to see more goals and more goals created from. 7/10

Gordon Smith - Used sparingly as a sub then punted to Cowdenbeath until January, doubt we'll see him again. 0/10.

Jon Routledge - Loves a tackle and I love watching him tackle. Wins the ball and passes it well. Gets booked quite a lot so we will need to see how we cope without him. He's up there with Barr and Buchanan for our best signing so far. 8/10.

Calum Waters (loan from Celtic) - Young, still learning and it has shown at times. I thinkhe's good enough back up for us I'd be concerned if we had to play him consistently. No doubt a good player in there but I don't think we'll see the best of him. 4/10.

Steven Craig - Disappointing. I really thought he was the final piece in the jigsaw for us but it hasn't really worked. He's been out injured for the last few weeks and no mention of his return. There were rumours of personal issues which if true would explain a lot. I hope he can resolve his injuries/problems and come back fully focussed. 3/10

Jamie Lindsay (loan from Celtic) - Looked excellent against Morton in the Petrofac, then average against East Fife, then he got injured. He'll be back in the next few weeks and if he can play like he did against Morton then we've got a cracking player there who should be able to cover for Routledge when his inevitable suspensions kick in. 5/10

Scott Brown (loan from St Johnstone) - I wasn't really sure what he was when he came at first. he wasn't a defensive mid, or an attacking mid, he just seemed to float around in the middle of the park. But, he's improved with every game I've seen him play. I'm not sure him and Routeledge are the most creative partnership but he looks a solid player again. 6/10

Frazer Wright - Split the fans as he replaced the club captain and bit of a fans hero in Andy Graham and after a couple of mistakes looks to be now coming on to a game. His experience may well be vital when it comes to crunch time. 5/10.

Steven Ross - Haven't seen anything of him, 15 minutes against Falkirk where he barely touched the ball then got injured. Can't possibly determine whether he's any good or not.

Eammon Brophy - Looks like the only "real" striker we have on our books, a poacher. Bagged the winner against Livi and I think that shows how we need to play with Brophy in the team - get the ball to him in the box and he'll stick it away. We've asked to play the "chasing lost causes" role in a couple of matches and it's just not for him. I don't think we've seen the best of him yet but I do think his goals will be vital. 6/10

Steven Saunders - Can't comment as he's only played one match and I didn't see it. By all accounts he looked good for someone who hasn't played a lot of football in the last 2 or 3 years.

Toshney - 9

Benedictus - 9

Craigen - 7

Megginson - 5

Petrie - 4

Wighton - 6

Daly - 6

Mccord - 7

Cuthbert - 8

Mckeown - 9

The last two are pretty much new signings, they bare not resemblance to last season players of the same name.

Darren Barr - Always worries me when we signed injury prone older defenders (Mark Wilson, Lee Mair, Allan McManus) but Darren has been an exception to the rule. Very powerful in the tackle, positionally sound and getting fitter every week. 8/10

Gregor Buchanan - After an absolute 'mare against East Fife earlier on in the season he's really settled in well. Improving every week and looks like he could have a very decent future. 9/10

Mark Docherty - Meh. Solid if unspectacular, prone to the odd mistake but normally pretty reliable. 6/10

Steven Saunders - Can't really judge him after one game where he was very impressive.

Calum Waters - Looks pretty inexperienced, has a cracking delivery and is good in the air for his height but was torn to shreds by Bobby Barr against Morton in one of his few appearances. 4/10

Frazer Wright - Utterly dreadful against Alloa. Utterly dominant against Raith and Livingston. Great fun to watch as well, hopefully he can finally fill the Mark Mclaughlin shaped void in my life. 6/10

Mark Brown - Reminiscent of a young Stephen Grindlay. Has made some belting saves and is a great shot stopper with impressive distribution. Every Time a cross comes in under the crossbar however it's a heart in mouth moment. 7/10

Scott Brown - Runs like he's holding a shinty stick. Blazes shots into orbit and often looks shocked when the ball's in the air. Despite this he's quality. His range of passing is excellent, he's very strong and deceptively pacey. 7/10

Grant Gallagher - Starting the season like Yaya Toure (Copyright Bring Back Paddy Flannery) but is continually shunted around without ever seeming to find a position. Good work rate, and there's a player in there but the consistent inconsistency as to where he plays is taking its toll. 6/10

Jamie Lindsay - 10/10 v Morton 0/10 v East Fife. Then got injured and hasn't been since since. Hopefully we see more of him soon 5/10

Jon Routledge - An undoubted improvement on Chris Turner. Fantastic tackler and brilliant at doing the dirty work, a model of consistency whose only failing is the regularity with which he finds himself in the referee's notebook. 9/10

Willie Gibson - Tricky, skilful, arrogant and a wind up merchant. Everything he does in an attacking sense is usually spectacular in one way or another. Has a very decent work rate as well. Sometimes flatters to deceive, but undeniably our main creator. 8/10

Eamonn Brophy - Has had a difficult first few games with his starts coming against Rangers and the impressive defence of Raith. Scored the winner at the weekend and has a real desire to do well for us. 7/10

Kevin Cawley - A younger, faster Mark Gilhaney with more end product. Started the season on fire and gradually declined. Looked good on Saturday and scored before hobbling off. 7/10

Steven Craig - I've still got high hopes for him. An intelligent player but lacking fitness and as a result a decent work rate. Hopefully he can be the player he was at County and Thistle when he returns from injury. 4/10

Steven Ross - Who knows

Gordon Smith - Pretty rubbish as expected, I'd guess we won't see him again. 2/10

#666 - Had cult hero status as he was an arrogant wee guy. Only saw him play in two pre-season games where he was poor and then average. Seems to have a severed attitude issue hence why he's now with Kilbirnie. 0/10

Toshney - 9 - Machine

Benedictus - 9 - Less disciplined machine, goal scoring threat

Craigen - 8 - When he signed we're told he doesn't score often, but he's score two peaches. Doing really well despite being out of position

Megginson - 6 - Had a big impact as a sub, but interested to see how he does through the year

Petrie - 4 - Still very young, but not really seen much of him. Not sure of what position he's meant to be.

Wighton - 6 - Not the messiah, just a talented young player who shows glimpses of doing well

Daly - 6 - We've definitely adapted to having him in the team, but shows good hold up play and awareness

Mccord - 6 - Looks a little unfit and hasn't been in-form but still had a massive contribution through set pieces. Will be interesting to see how he'll be with us signing Robertson.

Wouldn't say McKeown is like a new signing given he was fine for the second half of last season when we released the truly tragic Ross Perry.

Cuthbert has been phenomenal. He's been making excellent saves and clearly has more confidence in his defence compared to last season.

Dale Hilson: Looked really promising from the games he has featured in. Very strong for a wee guy and nippy aswell. Looks to have a good eye for goal. Unfortunately picked up an injury but will hopefully be back soon

Darren Brownlie: Pish. Cant pass, hides from the game and genuinely can see why he struggled to feature for the leagues worst team last seson.

Steven Higgins: Pish

Shaun Rutherford: Everything is pointing towards pish. Struggling to get into squad so the omens dont look good.

Robbie Thomson: A safe pair of hands and solid enough. Needs to release ball quicker though and improve distribution.

Kyle Jacobs: Not good at all Im afraid. His passing ability or lack of it puts us in constant danger. He does give his all though which you have to commend him for.

Jordan Marshall: Has been good so far. Not the finished article but has good attributes for one so young. Has pace, tenacity and a decent left peg.

Ryan Conroy: Pre season and early season form was highly encouraging but his level has dipped in recent weeks. Has been ok though and some people imo have been overly harsh on him as there has been far worse performers ie Millar.

Hutton and Heffernan. Heffernan looks a waste of a wage and until saturday I had kind of tagged Hutton along the same lines. However he wasnt bad in the 2nd half in the last game and if he keeps that up while getting even more match sharp he may be a useful addition

Oliver: Could go either way for me. Very one footed with a poor touch but very energetic and always shows for the ball

Coogans: Not looking promising given his lack of game time.

How on Earth am I supposed to contribute to a discussion on select Queen of the South players?

Both bizarre and arrogant at once, which actually sums up the Southern people very nicely.

How on Earth am I supposed to contribute to a discussion on select Queen of the South players?

Both bizarre and arrogant at once, which actually sums up the Southern people very nicely.

Well that was uncalled for.

Only really going to comment on the players that I've seen.

Robbie Thomson - He's been pretty solid and it isn't really his fault that the defence has been an absolute shambles. 6

Jordan Marshall - He's looked decent enough even if he does flatter to deceive. Needs to push forward more to get some width in this team but at 18 he's hopefully a prospect. Has a horrific running style as well - 7

Darren Brownlie - Not awful defensively compared to Dowie and Higgins recent form but can't pass to save himself, how he ended up at right back is a mystery - 4

Ryan Conroy - aside from a couple of early pingers, doesn't do enough for me to justify making him the focal point, clearly has talent but doesn't really play any position particularly well. A bit of a luxury player in the current form we're in. - 5

Dale Hilson - looked lively before his injury but looked like he could certainly offer something - 7

Kyle Jacobs - Looks good against the dross but seems out of his depth against any half decent midfield. - 3

Paul Heffernan - A good option of the bench if we are playing a team of over 65s. - 0

Kyle Hutton - Suppose he tries and plays on the ground but he is a couple of stone overweight and the last thing the least mobile midfield in the league needs - 3

Alex Harris - Has something about him out wide but he lacks confidence and should never play in the middle. - 5

Bobby Barr- Been a good signing. Very fast and direct and has put a lot of good balls into the box. Works his arse off for 90 minutes., 8/10

Denny Johnstone- Took a game or two to find his match sharpness but has shown he can score goals and does a lot of running out of the box as well. Good technique for a big guy.7/10

Alex Samuel- Not had much game time but he showed against Motherwell what a big player he can be for us. Fast, powerful and a handful for opposition defenders. Clinical finisher.7/10

Luca Gasparatto- Solid big defender who keeps it simple and hasn't put a foot wrong since he joined. 7/10

Romario Sabajo- Has shown glimpses that he can be a decent option to have. Quick and direct like Barr but with less of an impact so far. 6/10

Frank McKeown- Injured since Day 1 pretty much. N/A

When you look at the 6 players we have brought in, no one has been a failure so far so credit to Duffy for that.

James Tavernier Excellent going forward and a prolific finisher. Great find for us..

Martyn Waghorn A steal. Works hard, links up play, always willing to have a pop. I bet he could take a mean penalty or 3 if he got the chance.

Rob Kiernan Improving.

Jason Holt Usually sound but can drift out of games.

Danny Wilson Flat footed ball watcher who thinks he can pass like Beckenbauer. Our only summer failure so for.

Andy Halliday Hard worker with a good shot. Clearly loving his football.

Wes Foderingham Dodgy start but has made some excellent saves. Seems to get better every game.

Gedion Zelalem Classy footballer who always makes space for himself and others. Could be the next world class player who learned his trade on the Ibrox sward.

Nathan Oduwa Thoroughly likeable big bloke who replies to the hammer throwers of The SPFL with a smile. Set up a fair few valuable goals for us.

Jamie Langfield - Wouldn't swap him for any other keeper in the league.

Andy Webster - On paper a great coup for this level. Provides a solid spine to the team, sadly the teams not winning and we're not keeping clean sheets so all is not good.

Luke Conlan- Doesn't seem up to much, struggled badly in his first few games. In my opinion, harshly sent off v the Ton, Kelly has stole his place and he won't be getting it back anytime soon.

Keith Watson - I like him. He has softened the blow of the Naismith injury and has slotted in ok.

Carswell - At first fans were delighted at this signing. Seems to have went into his shell though, was possibly signed as a replacement for Goodwin but with him playing great stuff just now, there is no need for Carswell in beside him.

Agnew - Murray warned us he blows hot and cold. Scored some screamings at the start, controlled games too. Went off the boil a bit but I really like him, i think he is worth persevering with. At first we couldn't believe he hadn't got a move to the top league but his inconsistency has shown why.

McMullan - Very raw, maybe physically lacking a wee bit and needs to work on his final ball but he is electric. Great quick feet and definitely a match winner on his day. Sadly we have only won once :lol: .

Gallagher - Again a bit raw but has a bit more meat on him than McMullan. Scored a nice composed goal at Easter Road, known our luck he'll bugger off to a bigger team at the end of the season.

Shankland - Ronseal. Poacher, will score goals as long as we can find a way to make chances for him, which is proving difficult.

Luca Gasparotto(central defender on loan from Rangers) - looks an excellent player. our defence looks noticeably weaker when he doesn't play, which has happened a frustrating amount due to him being away with the Canada squad/ineligible for cup games. 8/10

Denny Johnstone(Striker on loan from Birmingham City) - I really like him. His technique is excellent, and he links the play very well by dropping deep and holding the ball up. Good passer too. Puts in a power of work up front and is a handle for any defender physically. The only criticism of him I have of him is that he doesn't get into goalscoring positions enough, and his finishing could do with improving. 8/10

Alex Samuel(Striker on loan from Swansea City) - not sure what to make of him. Seen him twice, v Motherwell and v Rangers. He's lightning quick and his two finished against Motherwell were superb. I wasn't that impressed with his his general play on the ball, he doesn't seem to hold the ball up well and looks one dimensional. He was very poor against Rangers, constantly falling over the ball whenever it was near him. 6.5/10

Bobby Barr(Winger free transfer from Brechin - solid and consistent player. An old-fashioned winger. Gets the ball and drives towards the byline everytime. Offers us good width and pace on the counterattack, and is a significant improvement on the wide players we used last season. 7.5/10

Romario Sabajo(winger free transfer from some Dutch team) - looks an absolute ringer imo. Can't pass, dribble or cross. Hopefully punted in January. 3/10

Jamie Langfield - Erratic!

Andy Webster - Does the simple things well, can't be arsed doing the difficult things

Luke Conlan- Looked awful but has improved every time I've seen him, If he keeps improving at this pace, he could be average

Keith Watson - To slow, to soft distribution is poor.

Cameron Howeson - Skillful, invisible

Carswell - Slightly better than Thomas Reilly, next stop elgin city?

Agnew - Scores worldies could be good

McMullan - Yes a player

Gallagher - Fast composed, a bit of dig scores goals, what's not to like

Shankland - Big reputation, needs to live up to it.

Rodgers- been really poor, dropped points at Alloa due to a howler from him. Only young so hoping he'll gain some confidence and a bit of form. 4/10

Watson- looks like a panic signing, defence never looked steady with him there. Glad mccrackens nicked his spot of him. Will be decent back up and gives the squad depth 5/10

Sinnamon- injured since the start n/a

McHugh- seems an alright player, went down the pecking order since Miller showed up. Hopefully kicks on. 5/10

Miller- changed the game in Paisley. Was absolutely dominant that second half. Hit the bar against Alloa and always looked a threat. Hoping he can kick on as well 6/10

Lewis Toshney - Tremendous, probably McKinnon's best signing. Had never really heard of him and alarm bells were ringing when I heard he was part of the Cowden team that shipped 10 goals against Hearts bus he's been an absolute colossal unit from day one. Seems to have picked up niggly wee injuries throughout the campaign thus far but just plows through it. 9/10

Kyle Benedictus - Bene has formed a great partnership with Toshney and has chipped in with a few goals. Between him and Toshney they both seem well organised, calm and one of our best CB pairings we've had in a long time. 8/10

James Craigen - I really like Craigen. Seems to read the game well and has scored a couple of belters so far. Bit of a debate where he's more suited but he's been mainly played out wide when I'm led to believe he prefers playing through the middle. Seems to have a bit of skill about him as well. 8/10

Mitch Megginson - Seems and ok player and lively in the games he's played. Has found himself on the bench lately. Not really sure where McKinnon thinks he's more suited but I wouldn't have him down as a striker imo. 6/10

Darren Petrie - Thought he looked not to bad during pre-season but he's not really been getting much game time as of late. Think he's had an injury to deal with as well. Surprisingly, during a pre-season game, he looked shit hot at LB then apparently had an absolute mare in that position against Stenny in the cup. 4/10

Craig Wighton - Came to us on the back of absoute rave reviews from Dundee fans but seriously flattered to deceive when the season started. Seems to to do well when coming off the bench eg against Hamilton in the cup where he looked really good. If he was to go back to Dundee in December I wouldn't be overly bothered. 6/10

Jon Daly - Improving week on week now. Probably still lacking match fitness but his aerial presence looks to be useful. Seems to always be looking for a foul that he was probably used to getting in his United/Rangers days. If we can keep him after January I think he'll be a handy player to have. 7/10

Ryan Mccord - Kinda been a bit so so in the last couple of games. Had a mare against Dumbarton and was subbed at half time and was rather iffy against Morton as well. Think he'll need to up his game with their being a bit of competition in the middle now. Seems to have an eye for a pass and does work hard overall. 7/10

Iain Davidson - Divided opinion amongst the fans when he signed but overall I'm chuffed with him. The kind of player who grabs the game by the scruff of the neck when needed. 8/10

Scott Robertson - Hard to tell. Got maybe 15 mins or so against Morton. Don't want to give him a score at the moment until I've seen more of him.

Lewis Toshney - Tremendous, probably McKinnon's best signing. Had never really heard of him and alarm bells were ringing when I heard he was part of the Cowden team that shipped 10 goals against Hearts bus he's been an absolute colossal unit from day one. Seems to have picked up niggly wee injuries throughout the campaign thus far but just plows through it. 9/10

Kyle Benedictus - Bene has formed a great partnership with Toshney and has chipped in with a few goals. Between him and Toshney they both seem well organised, calm and one of our best CB pairings we've had in a long time. 8/10

James Craigen - I really like Craigen. Seems to read the game well and has scored a couple of belters so far. Bit of a debate where he's more suited but he's been mainly played out wide when I'm led to believe he prefers playing through the middle. Seems to have a bit of skill about him as well. 8/10

Mitch Megginson - Seems and ok player and lively in the games he's played. Has found himself on the bench lately. Not really sure where McKinnon thinks he's more suited but I wouldn't have him down as a striker imo. 6/10

Darren Petrie - Thought he looked not to bad during pre-season but he's not really been getting much game time as of late. Think he's had an injury to deal with as well. Surprisingly, during a pre-season game, he looked shit hot at LB then apparently had an absolute mare in that position against Stenny in the cup. 4/10

Craig Wighton - Came to us on the back of absoute rave reviews from Dundee fans but seriously flattered to deceive when the season started. Seems to to do well when coming off the bench eg against Hamilton in the cup where he looked really good. If he was to go back to Dundee in December I wouldn't be overly bothered. 6/10

Jon Daly - Improving week on week now. Probably still lacking match fitness but his aerial presence looks to be useful. Seems to always be looking for a foul that he was probably used to getting in his United/Rangers days. If we can keep him after January I think he'll be a handy player to have. 7/10

Ryan Mccord - Kinda been a bit so so in the last couple of games. Had a mare against Dumbarton and was subbed at half time and was rather iffy against Morton as well. Think he'll need to up his game with their being a bit of competition in the middle now. Seems to have an eye for a pass and does work hard overall. 7/10

Iain Davidson - Divided opinion amongst the fans when he signed but overall I'm chuffed with him. The kind of player who grabs the game by the scruff of the neck when needed. 8/10

Scott Robertson - Hard to tell. Got maybe 15 mins or so against Morton. Don't want to give him a score at the moment until I've seen more of him.

Pretty fair summary - hard to disagree with much of that.

James Tavernier Excellent going forward and a prolific finisher. Great find for us..

Martyn Waghorn A steal. Works hard, links up play, always willing to have a pop. I bet he could take a mean penalty or 3 if he got the chance.

Rob Kiernan Improving.

Jason Holt Usually sound but can drift out of games.

Danny Wilson Flat footed ball watcher who thinks he can pass like Beckenbauer. Our only summer failure so for.

Andy Halliday Hard worker with a good shot. Clearly loving his football.

Wes Foderingham Dodgy start but has made some excellent saves. Seems to get better every game.

Gedion Zelalem Classy footballer who always makes space for himself and others. Could be the next world class player who learned his trade on the Ibrox sward.

Nathan Oduwa Thoroughly likeable big bloke who replies to the hammer throwers of The SPFL with a smile. Set up a fair few valuable goals for us.

Agree with most of that.

Waghorn looks great at this level, but I'm not entirely convinced that he'll be as consistent when asked to move up a level.

I think both Wilson and Kiernan look pretty suspect at the back and haven't really been tested yet. Apart from the St Johnstone game, and we all know what happened there.

Zelalem definitely looks like a player of some potential, but can be prone to trying wee flick on's when they aren't really on. Again, against St Johnstone he was pretty easily marked out the game. Only young though so pleanty still to come.

Oduwa gets a bit of press because he's willing to try the spectacular, but to me he's a luxury player and can be horrifically bad for large parts of a game.

Archived