Berwick Chairman to step down

How many threads are you wanting?? Speaks volumes, aye. Same content as posted by Tesco. And fwiw the league finishes in fucking April.

Does it? Play-offs are in May and now there's a L2 play-off the league isn't finished until all the positions are settled. So the "league" will be finished in May.

I would have that all Clyde fans would have the L2 play-off dates in their diary ;)

How many threads are you wanting?? Speaks volumes, aye. Same content as posted by Tesco. And fwiw the league finishes in fucking April.

I do apologise I did not see the duplicate thread.

Maybe it was the fact of the tears of laughter in my eyes because of your league streaking side in the position above us

Interesting. Brian Porteous and his colleagues who made up the board that took over the club at a time of crisis deserve lasting credit for stabilising the club and bringing financial rigour to a club not previously known for keeping the books in good shape. I hope Brian enjoys his retirement and good health, and that he's able to continue supporting Berwick Rangers in the future.

This move provides a great opportunity to address the shortcomings on the field over the last 8 years. Keeping a tight rein on the finances is laudable, but I don't support Berwick Rangers because they've got a healthy balance sheet. I'm not naive enough to think we should be winning titles or promotions every season, but once in a while it would be good to be able to go and see a team that makes a meaningful challenge and plays attractive football, and to have confidence in a club that has a clear vision about where it's going.

We don't need a boardroom full of directors. We do need people who have specific tasks and are good at doing those jobs. We need a plan that includes a review of playing facilities, the stadium, the pitch, the community role of the club, and how we can make real progress rather than tread water. We also need leaders at the club who can rekindle the interest of the wider community. It's there, as we saw against Spartans last season, but people need to be inspired to come back to Shielfield. Whatever your view of Jamie Curle, he did a great job of getting people interested in Berwick Rangers.

I hope that the club can take advantage of this opportunity. That means big changes in the boardrooom, where it's time for fresh blood and new ideas. Not everyone in the boardroom has to be a businessman or over 60. There are a lot of bright, committed younger supporters who have made great contributions through the club's official social media orums and on the board of the Trust etc. It might also be worth looking at appointing new directors from outwith the current group of people involved in running the club.

With the future of Berwick speedway in the balance, the town cannot afford the football club to wither on the vine. If there is to be a brave new world at Shielfield, each on of us will have a role to play in making it work. We can't just continue to rely on the board, Dennis, Connie, Arthur, Ross, Pea, Lindsey

or the other guys who make Berwick Rangers tick.

Does it? Play-offs are in May and now there's a L2 play-off the league isn't finished until all the positions are settled. So the "league" will be finished in May. I would have that all Clyde fans would have the L2 play-off dates in their diary ;)

So, that would be the 'league' part over then on Saturday, April 30th....and the playoffy bit in....wait for it.....May??? Granted a 40% chance of any club actually playing IN May, but thats not being discussed by the individuals. Idiocy.

• 4 weeks later...

Board meeting tonight and they'll be discussing both the appointment of a new manager and the position of chairman.

Lenny Eyre's name is being touted a lot, but it's unclear whether he's actually up for the job or that's all it is - just talk. Nice enough guy, but I've seen no evidence of his credentials to become chairman.

For me, there's only one man for the job, and that's John Bell, by a distance. We need someone with genuine vision and the ability to see the bigger picture, and, crucially, who gets things done. John has a remarkable track record of achievement and has brought millions into the town through the Berwick Youth Project and it's associated functions. He was also instrumental in securing funding for the Trust in its early days which led to it becoming one of the major shareholders in the football club. i don't want to hear any bollocks about him not having the right "business" experience - he's got in in spades and he's not tainted by the 1970s boardroom driinking club model. Times have changed and being a director is more than clamping on a tie and going walkabout around local pubs when the team wins.

I'm not a cheerleader for John. We've had differences of opinion over many football-related issues in the past, but I genuinely believe he is the best hope we have of appointing a chairman capable of overseeing a major transformation in Berwick Rangers' fortunes and building a club fit for the future.

Eyre?

Dear God.

Bell is the only option and a very sound one at that.

Len is a nice man but a visionary figurehead he is not.

Can any of them get us back to challenging for promotion again is the biggest question? It has been way too long.

I understand that Lenny Eyre has indeed thrown his golfing cap into the ring.

If that's confirmed, then we've got a choice between:

(a) John Bell, a man who would work to bring the football club into the 21st century with an innovative and imaginative vision and excellent contacts outside the closed world of lower league football, who understands that the majority of supporters want real change; and

(b) Lenny. Whose plans for the future of Berwick Rangers I admittedly know nothing about. In which case, it would be good to hear what they are.

It'll be informative to see which choice vested interests in the boardroom make. On past form, I'm not optimistic that they'll make the best choice for the club and for its supporters. Hopefully I'm proven wrong. Would'nt be the first time.

This is a real opportunity, perhaps the best for a decade, for the club to make the kind of transformative change it needs to catch up with successful small town teams like Forfar, Alloa, Annan etc. That goes way beyond what happens on the park, but involves playing facilities, coaching and scouting set-ups, community development, sponsorship, you name it.

To me, the choice feels like a vote for the same old same old which has brought us years of failure, or the promise of a more dynamic, exciting, imaginative leadership which at the very least will give the modernisation of Berwick Rangers a damn good go. I know which one I'd pick.

Completely agree with your post Red Mist.

It has to be JB surely!

Problem is he could well be the lone voice and that could inhibit his ability to delivery the change the club needs to step into the 21st century.

Most boards these days have individuals with a range of skills such as marketing, finance, commercial and HR and have board members where they are held to account for their personal contribution and they work in an engaging way in order to take everyone with them.

Also need a chairman that understands technology and is capable of updating fans before the Advertiser.

He'd most likely get my vote too if it was between existing board members. However, I think the whole board needs restructured. The supporters organisations should be off the board and be able to hold the board to account properly. Members of the board should be on there for their expertise in a certain area too, not just because they can stump up £20k. If that was the case, we should all as members of supporters organisations be able to monitor how our directors are performing and it should be part of their role to provide regular updates to supporters.

Archived