U.S.S.R League 2015-16

Unanswered: Stagsby’s Scoring Runs League 2015-16.

I thought about starting this a while back, when my mighty Staggies scored 9 goals without reply starting with the consolation against Hearts in the 2-1 league defeat, then a 2-0 cup win over Ayr, 4-0 v Kilmarnock and going 2-0 up against Dundee United before conceding in that one (final score 2-1). After equalling that run during our last 3 games (1-0 v Partick, 7-0 v Falkirk and going 1-0 up at Dens) I’ve decided to finally do it.

It’s quite simple: Keeping track of ‘goals without reply’ – either scored or conceded. We’ll publish a weekly table of who’s currently rampant (top 5) and who’s rancid (bottom 5) out of all the teams across the 4 divisions, and also an over-all top and bottom 5 for the season, updated whenever required. Includes league, Scottish Cup, League Cup and whatever the old Challenge Cup is now called.

I haven’t trolled through every team’s results since the start of the season, but here’s what I’ve come up with so far in terms of overall leader/loser board:

Team Best

The Rangers +17

County +9 (x2)

Dunfermline +8

Celtic +8

Aberdeen +6

Team Worst

Cowdenbeath -8

Dundee United -8

Alloa -10

Brechin -10

Partick -11

It’s early in the season, but already there are some impressive and awful runs in there – Will The Rangers or Partick be replaced before the end of the season?

If you think your own team should be in there somewhere, please share. And watch out this weekend for the first of the ‘current runs’ tables. Contributions welcome, I don’t expect I’ll get it all right all the time.

At the end of the season, we’ll have a vote to decide which of the final table-topping team’s supporters wins a holiday to the former USSR... and which of the losing team’s supporters gets sent to the former USSR ;)

There’s juuuust been enough initial interest in this for me to decide to go ahead and update, see how it goes from here.

I’ve corrected the over-all Top 5 in the O.P. - Elgin went on a run of 9 goals without reply in August, so they move up into third place, with Aberdeen dropping out of the top 5.

This week, Celtic’s +8 run was ended by Hamilton, and Ayr United are top of the scoring runs league on +5 and counting. Partick Thistle suddenly find themselves in the chasing pack, alongside Dunfermline and Hibs.

Ayr United +5

Dunfermline +4

Partick +4

Hibs +4

At the other end, Cowdenbeath are on course to worse their worst run of the season (-eight), having conceded seven since the last time they scored. Thanks to the above-mentioned world-beaters Partick Thistle, Dundee United find themselves second from bottom on -5 and counting.

QOS -3

Albion -3

Dundee United -5

Cowdenbeath -7

Archived