Grading

TFW

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Floodlights offer so many options to teams. Makes a fixture list an easier thing to organise and means the season can have definite beginning and end dates.

There are always some that complain though as they miss out on Saturday sponsorship for games as they are held midweek- don't see this being much of an issue in the juniors as I'd imagine sponsorship is often hard to come by when the fixtures come out a week in advance and at the end the games come every 48 hours or so.

Exactly and a full fixture list is what junior fans crave and I really reckon we do lose some fans as they can hardly plan a few games ahead in terms of knocking back shifts at work / organising going to games ahead of doing other things that they would rather avoid despite getting dragged into as they can't cite a football fixture from week to week.

As said the fixture man gets grief from us all but floodlights opens the fixture package right up .

jesus what is the juniors problem xxxxxx effing join the leagues or pisssssssssssssssssssssssss off to your own third world we only play against our local rivals shit ,,but stop jumping in with the we deserve to be in the scottish cup kak ,,,,,,,,,,,u dont end of

jesus what is the juniors problem xxxxxx effing join the leagues or pisssssssssssssssssssssssss off to your own third world we only play against our local rivals shit ,,but stop jumping in with the we deserve to be in the scottish cup kak ,,,,,,,,,,,u dont end of

Good to see the intellectual heavyweights piling in! :)

That's probably a better way of putting it than I quoted.

Floodlights are probably my most sought after thing of having if given a choice to improve us off the park although I do realise that loads of clubs would need to have them to make it worthwhile and beneficial.

Even our slope would look better under the lights :);)

Why don't Beith have floodlights then if it matters so much. Cut the playing budget and just do it. :) Its OK for clubs who could perhaps achieve it that way but Dalry won't get very far forward by cutting player budgets. Beith could always use the astro...and it ain't got a slope :)

Been trying to find out how much Ye bog standard floodlights would cost to install but can't see any actual prices

Can remember Talbot saying a price of around £50k

Maybe we should give it he Vale & move into a purpose built arena ?

Then again maybe no

You can see why teams like Petershill and Renfrew move to these grounds and how it makes practical sense but I'm with you on this one.

I really wouldn't like to see Beith in one of these type grounds.

Why don't Beith have floodlights then if it matters so much. Cut the playing budget and just do it. :) Its OK for clubs who could perhaps achieve it that way but Dalry won't get very far forward by cutting player budgets. Beith could always use the astro...and it ain't got a slope :)

But Dalry aren't in or around top league status. It's pretty simple stuff. If you want to play at the top end regularly then the standards applied to clubs doing so should be much higher than they are. That's a process which is in place the world over. I've seen teams in our league operating without a physio on their bench never mind a doctor present. To me that's unacceptable in this day and age. Part of the criteria for getting a licence is to have independent access to a physio ' treatment room so I think it's a given that there should be a physio (unless you're Mourinho).

Sticky fingers on certain keys, or do you actually talk like that in real life ? :P

Hold on a minute, there's a lot of commas there.......

It's hard to type with yer tongue

We've done structure to death on here. It is what it is - bollocks though that may be.

The Lowland League is Tier 5 in the structure of Scottish football.

Junior football doesn't have a rating - it sits below the EOS and SoS leagues which are Tier 6.

We know that in terms of standards on the pitch, the top Junior leagues are as good as or better than the Lowland and Highland Leagues.

But the refusal to engage meaningfully means that Junior football will be sold short in the long term. In reasonably short order the better Lowland League clubs will be able to outbid Junior teams when it comes to attracting players - particularly if any of them attract Hurlford-esque backing. That seems inevitable to me before we're all much older. A sensible version of Gretna will emerge and maybe somewhere like East Kilbride is a decent place for it to happen.

There really isn't any reason to invest in a Junior team - and many will be glad to avoid the risk of a charlatan arriving. But look at Talbot. Loads of success racked up in recent seasons but they're thumping a ceiling. Which is fine for their support who have made it clear that winning stuff in their current grade is better than travelling further to meet increasingly tougher opposition.

I'd jump to the Lowland League tomorrow given half a chance. And I think if Bo'ness got their act together, got licenced and made the same leap - assuming it could be made which now seems unlikely - I think there would be less resistance from many of our supporters. At the end of the day, few teams bring a big support to Prestonfield these days - certainly not enough to be concerned about which league we're in. The Junior Cup remains a massive attraction though for all its flaws. So there will never be consensus. Which usually means things stay the same because of the fear.

can you expand on just who are hurlfords backers?

Well accepted that Hurlford's rise up the leagues and success is down in large part to being suddely one of the best funded teams in the West. Since the crowds havent gone up it follows that the money to pay players ( and the quality has improved greatly over last 2 - 3 seasons ) has come form sponsors / backers.

Best to ignore the obvious trolls. There isn't going to be a pyramid in Scottish football for as long as there are over forty clubs playing in national divisions, because of the Elgin on a rainy Wednesday night in February argument. Clubs that want to give that a miss lose out in status terms but gain in other ways.

Best to ignore the obvious trolls. There isn't going to be a pyramid in Scottish football for as long as there are over forty clubs playing in national divisions, because of the Elgin on a rainy Wednesday night in February argument. Clubs that want to give that a miss lose out in status terms but gain in other ways.

There is :)

Well accepted that Hurlford's rise up the leagues and success is down in large part to being suddely one of the best funded teams in the West. Since the crowds havent gone up it follows that the money to pay players ( and the quality has improved greatly over last 2 - 3 seasons ) has come form sponsors / backers.

Hurlford won the Super First and were promoted to the Premier League before the current backers got involved. Prior to that they hadn't been in the ADL for around 4 years.

You trying to tell me that Hurlford was NOT run in the same way / financial set-up the year they won the Super First ? If so then i'll step away from the keyboard and say no more on the subject. Btw im not condemning anything ... guys want to put money into Hurlford ... their perogative.

Edit - I meant to say NOT run in the same way. Seems quite clear that they had a cash injection even if its not the same folk involved now ( if its not ).

You trying to tell me that Hurlford was run in the same way / financial set-up the year they won the Super First ? If so then i'll step away from the keyboard and say no more on the subject. Btw im not condemning anything ... guys want to put money into Hurlford ... their perogative.

They were paying big money for transfers and players in Super First. They paid a large fee for Simon Eeles from Meadow plus good wages and he wasn't even a major player for them.

They were paying big money for transfers and players in Super First. They paid a large fee for Simon Eeles from Meadow plus good wages and he wasn't even a major player for them.

Aye that was my point. Although its their business if they were paying more / come into some luck re financial backing. Must admit that i'd prefer a longer term use for the money though. Improved facilities being the main thing i'd suggest

Archived