Troon

cmonthelie

Troon have always had a good playing surface, Scotland used to train there as did Celtic under Stein. Gus spends enough time and cash on the surface that surely to feck it can take a few young kids kicking a baw about every second week...if not then there is something seriously wrong with his methods.

Agreed and one of the funniest sights in junior football is seeing the wee guys half time 20 a-side game and them performing their very own World Cup final in front of you, they're loving the experience of playing on the pitch and I did so as a child too and there really is no harm in it .

The guy does a great job as all his pitches look great but he seriously needs to chill and give a bit of slack.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you are all lookin at this wae nostalgic blinkers on. It's not that long ago that the Portland Park goalmouths resembled bunkers from the nearby golf courses.

The council used to do the pitch back in the '90s Troon had to forfeit a match to Kilbirnie as the council thought the season had finished and had taken the goals down to turf the penalty area :)

Very few clubs turf now things have moved on, only last season the top goalmouth was was a bit of a mess and it was blocked off before the Troon/Ladeside game with the Troon keeper having to go through his warm up at the corner flag.

There is no problem when the weather is bad or the pitch sodden asking the kids not to go into that area but shouting abuse is bit the way to do it.

Players & officials should be allowed on the pitch to warm up before the game,unless the pitch is a mud bath.

Subtitutes, & kids, should be allowed on the pitch at half time as well.

Pollok who have one of the finest playing surfaces in the country, allow lots of youngsters access to the pitch at half time, providing good entertainment, great to see.

So much so that away teams subs sometimes struggle to get a goal to warm up with at halftime

I don`t care how good a job Gus does, it costs nothing for manners.

Just because he`s well known for been a grumpy git does not make it acceptable. There is no acceptable reason to swear at kids or gesture to them with his pitch fork as he likes to do. If a few kids (who wont even be wearing studs) can do that much damage to the pitch during half time I think its time to ask the teams to play in their flip flops or slippers!

The carry on with teams warming up is a joke too, I remember it working to Troons advantage in a cup game at Meadow when Gus was being an arse and the current manager at Troon told him to GTF and pulled down all his tape and went ahead with their warm up and beat Meadow after being fired up. Also if you wind opposing keepers up they just mark their posts and tear up the 6yrd line in spite

Plus not the point if it's crucial that teams get to warm up on the pitch before the game the same must also be true at half time. Can't have it all ways

Good post and teams get to do a full training session 24 hours before away champions league games at world class venues and here we have gus at meadow , hurlford and now troon being ratty and denying junior teams a warm up on his pitches.

Maybe it's about time he had a reality check no matter how good he is at getting pitches in order as world class venues certainly allow it .

Good post and teams get to do a full training session 24 hours before away champions league games at world class venues and here we have gus at meadow , hurlford and now troon being ratty and denying junior teams a warm up on his pitches.

Maybe it's about time he had a reality check no matter how good he is at getting pitches in order as world class venues certainly allow it .

To be fair I think they have a bit more than one guy keeping the pitch playable. How about people respect the man's work and if he says don't go on it then don't go in it.

The only concession Troon ask of away teams is that all the short sharp sprint work is done up on the training pitch. Then do their ball work on the park. Teams can choose to accept that or not but it seems a reasonable request to almost every team that visits from what I can see.

To your point I think most clubs would struggle to get their players to go to an away pitch for a session the night before a game!!!!

To be fair I think they have a bit more than one guy keeping the pitch playable. How about people respect the man's work and if he says don't go on it then don't go in it.

The only concession Troon ask of away teams is that all the short sharp sprint work is done up on the training pitch. Then do their ball work on the park. Teams can choose to accept that or not but it seems a reasonable request to almost every team that visits from what I can see.

To your point I think most clubs would struggle to get their players to go to an away pitch for a session the night before a game!!!!

:lol: :lol: You don't seriously think I literally meant for junior players to turn up 24 hours before a game for a warm up ? :)

Was only suggesting that it happens elsewhere .

And it's not uncommon for junior clubs to request that the short & sharp warm up stuff ( in the winter in particular ) is performed on the grass behind the goals or at a separate warm up area.

It's just a bit Heavy for teams and young kids to be verbally abused and barked at for me that's all.

Of course I didn't!!!!! I thought the !!!! Would make my point I need to start using emoji's it would seem!!!

As to the abuse I wasn't there so I have no idea if Gus was abusive or not. What did you see or hear from your vantage point at the game?

Of course I didn't!!!!! I thought the !!!! Would make my point I need to start using emoji's it would seem!!!

As to the abuse I wasn't there so I have no idea if Gus was abusive or not. What did you see or hear from your vantage point at the game?

To be honest I've never heard the guy rant at anyone during his time at troon and I can only say good things about the people of troon.

In the past though at meadow park ( when he was their groundsman) he was roaring at wee guys who went on the park at half time ( during a great summers evening when they probably didn't have enough body weight combined to damage his pitch).

Remember him roaring at them and just thought the whole thing was very off .

Maybe there is a way of going about it and he could do it a bit better?

There was a tractor on Troon pitch yesterday morning...seems strange that a muckle big thing like that is allowed and no a kid. Was gonna shout get that feckin thing aff that pitch but the train was going too fast haha

Cut,cut,cut,roll,roll,roll,sand,sand,sand,water,water,water and nice drop of sun like yesterday.

I remember turning up at Meadow when the guy in question was the groundsman and myself and the rest of our team went out to have a look at the park to see what footwear we should wear for the game and he started moaning "stay off the pitch" and was swiftly told were to go by a few of us as we only had trainers on at the time and would do no damage to the park at all...does a great job on the pitches he looks after but way over the top with his reactions when people go on the park...IMO..

Gus used to have a phrase he used tell people or had a sign made " Grass grows in inches not on feet" when they went to walk on the pitch at Meadow. Three Referee Officials told him politely they had to inspect the pitch and the goal nets or game was OFF.....

There was a tractor on Troon pitch yesterday morning...seems strange that a muckle big thing like that is allowed and no a kid.

Haha, that's a good point!

Yes Marlowe, he was the Kilmarnock groundsman years ago. Could very well have been the Tommy Burns era.

Archived