Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

Alex Ferguson has said that he only ever had 4 WORLD CLASS players during his time at United: Cantona, Ronaldo, Giggs and Scholes…………unsurprisingly no mention of Darren Fletcher in this group

He then added that he had “great” players who weren’t quite at the level of the previous 4: Rooney, Beckham, Keane, Schmichael, Tevez and Ferdinand……………unsurprisingly no mention of Darren Fletcher once again.

Face facts Darren Fletcher has never been, never will, and never even approached any reasonable definition of “world class” and doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as any of the previous players.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34311859

Lambert I would say was world class, certainly in his season at Dortmund. He pretty much marked Zidane out of the Champions League final.

He done a very good job anywhere he played, but that is obviously the clear highlight.

Regards Cooper - It's borderline sacrilegious to say anything negative about him among the fans of the clubs he played for. Very good player on his day, but prone to inconsistency. Not sure he could be described as world class, probably held back by staying with what was a relatively poor Rangers team for most of his time there, with only 3 league titles in the 11 or 12 years he was with them. Had he moved out of his comfort zone and played on a bigger stage, he might have gone a lot further.

Regards Cooper - It's borderline sacrilegious to say anything negative about him among the fans of the clubs he played for. Very good player on his day, but prone to inconsistency. Not sure he could be described as world class, probably held back by staying with what was a relatively poor Rangers team for most of his time there, with only 3 league titles in the 11 or 12 years he was with them. Had he moved out of his comfort zone and played on a bigger stage, he might have gone a lot further.

He'd have been a bench warmer at a higher level.

Lambert I would say was world class, certainly in his season at Dortmund. He pretty much marked Zidane out of the Champions League final.

He done a very good job anywhere he played, but that is obviously the clear highlight.

Your avatar is exactly the same expression I made when I read your ridiculous post.

Your avatar is exactly the same expression I made when I read your ridiculous post.

Probably because you have spent too long in the type of situation depicted in your avatar. Likely with paint stripper being poured down your neck as opposed to water or lucozade.

Ferguson's comments suggest that only 'once in a generation' type players could ever truly be considered world class - parameters which I doubt most reasonable observers would apply.

For me, Fletcher was world class.

He also names a number of "great" players, who are below that "once in a generation" level You seriously believe Fletcher should be considered alongside Keane etc??? Sir Alex obviously doesn't.

He also names a number of "great" players, who are below that "once in a generation" level You seriously believe Fletcher should be considered alongside Keane etc??? Sir Alex obviously doesn't.

The argument was never to put Fletcher alongside these players overall.

Most people have argued that Fletcher was probably first player on the team sheet at Utd during 08-10 seasons. At that time he was among the top 5 in the world for his position.

I'd reply to this but the ignorance speaks for itself.

I would agree that I am ignorant of Davey Coopers qualities as a player, I am too young to really remember him as a world class player. I can vaguely remember him for Motherwell and Clydebank but i can only assume this was not him at the peak of his powers.

Feel free to relieve my ignorance with examples of how he was a World Class player.

Edited by JamieT1314

Peter Schmeichel, almost universally regarded as one the greatest keepers of all time isn't world class!!! Take it Fergie's got a new book out?

There is a 4 minute interview on the BBC website where he sets his definition out for putting those four ahead of the likes of Schmeichel. It's a perfectly reasonable rationale, and not a slight on players like him or Rooney.

The labels are not Ferguson's choice.

Alex has his opinion, others differ.

In the last 15 years the players that stand out for me are Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo (1) Ronaldo (2), Pirlo and Messi. - that's super world class.

He was before my time, but I suppose Steve Archibald might be in with a shout. A league title with Aberdeen, two FA Cups and the Cup Winners' Cup with Spurs and La Liga and a European Cup runners-up medal with Barca - not a bad haul, really. Am I right in thinking Barca signed him to replace Maradona? If so, that speaks volumes for how he was rated at the time.

Edited by Tulloch Gorum