Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

Anyone who thinks David Cooper was not a genius only needs to look at the endorsements he recieved from fellow pros. Rudd Gulliet said he was 1 of the best players he's ever seen. I,m pretty sure he's more qualified than any poster on here.

Theres over 30 separate players that Gullits quoted as saying is "one of the best I've seen"

Even if it was true, it's fairly widely acknowledged that Cooper was a pretty unsavoury individual.

This is certainly true.

He mocked Tony Fitzpatrick over his young son dying after it happened.

Unsurprisingly, Tony lost it and got sent off as a result.

World class Scottish players:

Dalglish

Law

Baxter

Jimmy Johstone

Souness

Outside of that I don't think we have had any world class players. Plenty of great players - like McGrain, Goram, Dave McKay and Lennox. The most recent being Fletcher by a country mile at his peak. We have been lacking in world class for a while though.

I see a bleak outlook on anyone soon even getting to top class level. The SFA needs to do more for grassroots. Due to my job (army) I've lived all over the UK, in Wales each adult amateur club had 1st teams 2nd teams and 3rd teams this was replicated in the juniors(kids clubs) dependent on numbers. It's exactly the same in Northern Ireland.

Only last year I was on a course in Edinburgh and met a retired dinosaur from military, who said he works within the sfa, I pointed out what I seen on my travels regarding player participation at all levels from grassroots, that the systems in Wales and NI were brilliant and participation was a million miles ahead of what it's like in Scotland.

His answer was it's not about how many people play

Edited by kenny131

Interesting that Cooper keeps Ronaldinho etc out of RG's best XI!

That settles that then. One of the most naturally talented players of all time, or the guy that who's entire CV reads Rangers, Motherwell and Clydebank.

On topic, has anyone mentioned Barry Ferguson???

I'm starting to turn on the whole Barry Ferguson issue, TBH. Some excellent points made in the past couple of pages.

His name's Ferguson, FFS, and also Barry. Case closed.

This is certainly true.

He mocked Tony Fitzpatrick over his young son dying after it happened.

Unsurprisingly, Tony lost it and got sent off as a result.

Your pal down the pub tell you that? Quite an allegation against the dead. I don't recall any ex-pros having a bad word to say about Cooper.

The internet seems to be full of folk mentioning the Cooper/Fitzpatrick incident; is there any first-hand confirmation of what was said, or was this just a matter of folk putting two and two together and ending up with the wrong answer?

The internet seems to be full of folk mentioning the Cooper/Fitzpatrick incident; is there any first-hand confirmation of what was said, or was this just a matter of folk putting two and two together and ending up with the wrong answer?

Has the world gone mad? It's a disgusting, unsubstantiated allegation people are delighted to believe because some anonymous poster on an obscure forum claimed to know someone's brother.