Scotland vs Polska

jagfox

Only a month away.

Thoughts on squad, team and tactics?

A tough egg to crack and will probably take our best performance in a long time to have a chance of winning.

Will Gordon Strachan tinker with his lineup or will he stick with his favourites while the support are losing faith in some of his selections?

#LastChanceSaloon

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it all comes down to us producing a barnstorming performance on the day. Any hesitancy and I think we'll lose or draw.

Squad-wise, I'd like to see us use Griffiths and pick Rhodes as well (remembering Gibraltar lie in wait shortly after). I also hope Stuart Armstrong is fit and in form - I can see him epitomising the type of effort and verve we will need to win this one (but who would drop out to let him into the starting eleven? No idea)

Well Morrison is suspended so if Armstrong can get back fully fit and on form there is a space to him to aim for?

Strachan has a stubborn streak to him which I guess most top managers have to a degree. I can see him sticking with Fletcher. He'll probably rely on the attacking midfielders to create and score the chances we create.

Guys that are stick ons to start if fit would be Marshall, Hutton, Martin, Brown, Maloney and the aforementioned Steven Fletcher that leaves centre back, left back, a holding midfielder, a wide midfielder and an attacking midfielder up for grabs, imo.

We'll get a draw and take it to the final game, only to be outdone by Southern Ireland scraping something in Warsaw.

Feel it will go this way too. Will probably stick a fair bit of money on 0-0 for Poland v Ireland.

I think Strachan's team will be (barring injuries):

Marshall

Hutton - Martin - Hanley - Mulgrew

Brown - McArthur

Maloney - Naismith - Anya

Fletcher

I would change the two highlighted players.

Marshall hasn't done much wrong in this campaign but it's now all down to this match and I just feel safer with Gordon in there. He has plenty of experience with Scotland and is the better goalkeeper in my opinion. Won't happen though.

I also don't want us to take too cautious an approach and be left wondering what would happen if we really went for it. I'm not saying we go totally baws oot, and I understand the risk Robertson could represent defensively, but he's still the best option there for me. This could happen but I'm doubtful.

Right now I'm about 55/45 in favour of starting Fletcher, so that could also change, but otherwise I think the rest of the team picks itself with Morrison suspended.

We'll get a draw and take it to the final game, only to be outdone by Southern Ireland scraping something in Warsaw.

Exactly what will happen. If we had got a point in Georgia it would have prevented this cosy scenario assuming germany beat ireland.

We r our own worse enemies. Hope we just feckin go for it. No regrets

I'd like to see us try to take control of this game rather than trying to stop Poland.

Marshall

Whittaker Martin Hanley Robertson

McArthur Brown

Anya Naismith Maloney

Griffiths

Would be my ideal starting 11

It pained me to put Hutton in but Whittaker isn't any better and there isn't a hope in hell of Strachan calling anyone else up.

I'd like to see us try to take control of this game rather than trying to stop Poland.

Marshall

Whittaker Martin Hanley Robertson

McArthur Brown

Anya Naismith Maloney

Griffiths

Would be my ideal starting 11

It pained me to put Hutton in but Whittaker isn't any better and there isn't a hope in hell of Strachan calling anyone else up.

You put Whittaker in m8? :huh:

I'd play the same team that faced Germany without Forrest barring any up or down turns in form. Ritchie showed enough in ten minutes (actually, within 60 seconds of coming on he'd already bettered Forrest's output) to push for a place.

We'll be up against it, no question. As long as we go out and look like we actually want to win it. As much as it sounds wanky, if we go out and give everything we have, and Poland are just better, then we can't have any complaints about the game itself. I don't think they are that much better though.

We've done well against a very good Polish side in Warsaw twice.

Not convinced we can win, but a draw will take it to the last day so to speak. Germany purred against us, and will surely maul Ireland.

Poles attacking threat terrifies me as much as our attacking impotence.

Archived