William Hill Scottish Cup draw

A.M

When does the meadow carry big support naw just naw

biggest in north Ayrshire certainly. ;)

Fan base would increase if we (or any other junior team) stepped up to the LL. I remember Annans attendances increasing after their application to the SPFL and that's with increased ticket prices.

People want to watch a better organised game and finally junior fans are beginning to realise this.

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There people who will not watch Junior football but will turn out for a Senior match. This was clearly shown with the growth of support at both Gretna and Annan on their election to the 3rd Division.

Connected to the thread, Pollok's record gate receipts were recorded in the Montrose replay at Newlandsfield. Not our biggest crowd but the £10 admission made up for it.

There people who will not watch Junior football but will turn out for a Senior match. This was clearly shown with the growth of support at both Gretna and Annan on their election to the 3rd Division.

Connected to the thread, Pollok's record gate receipts were recorded in the Montrose replay at Newlandsfield. Not our biggest crowd but the £10 admission made up for it.

Good luck to them but it's not me for me.

I like the level of football I watch and enjoy all the things that come with it.

I love the banter between the fans all being mixed in together and have met some good people through it.

Are games at League 2 segregated out of interest?

Fan base would increase if we (or any other junior team) stepped up to the LL. I remember Annans attendances increasing after their application to the SPFL and that's with increased ticket prices.

People want to watch a better organised game and finally junior fans are beginning to realise this.

Baws

Good luck to them but it's not me for me.

I like the level of football I watch and enjoy all the things that come with it.

I love the banter between the fans all being mixed in together and have met some good people through it.

Are games at League 2 segregated out of interest?

We segregate games against Montrose, believe it or not there has been a lot of green street wannabe fannies causing bother over the years ( :lol: ) and we segregate games against away teams that will have huge supports (so not many, usually the likes of Celtic/Sevco/Aberdeen etc)

I don't think having segregation is part of joining the seniors, iirc we only got it put in when we went to the 1st division (now the championship) as it was mandatory in that league

Still swap ends at Gayfield for the vast majority of games

We segregate games against Montrose, believe it or not there has been a lot of green street wannabe fannies causing bother over the years ( :lol: ) and we segregate games against away teams that will have huge supports (so not many, usually the likes of Celtic/Sevco/Aberdeen etc)

I don't think having segregation is part of joining the seniors, iirc we only got it put in when we went to the 1st division (now the championship) as it was mandatory in that league

Still swap ends at Gayfield for the vast majority of games

Cheers.

As I said was just wondering as have to admit it's a part of Junior football I enjoy with only our games against Kilbirnie segregated.

When we played Airdrie the game at Airdrie was segregated but the replay at Bellsdale wasn't iirc.

???????????????? thank feck you put a wee wink at end of that.

Medda could have been a senior club and turned it down not long after the new town was established. Would they get more support if a senior club ?...with both Killie and Ayr not far away, doubtful...and the main reason they decided against joining in the '70s.

Medda could have been a senior club and turned it down not long after the new town was established. Would they get more support if a senior club ?...with both Killie and Ayr not far away, doubtful...and the main reason they decided against joining in the '70s.

Medda are the clear example of why a huge catchment area does not equal a big support. If you look at Talbot a relatively small catchment, which is significantly bigger that 4000 town population but still modest, seems to enable them to galvanize and consolidate. Would this work in the LL? No in my opinion.

I've never heard of formal segregation in SPFL2 (indeed it may be the same in SPFL1) except for the likes of Lanarkshire or Angus derbies, or times a big club like Morton / Rangers has ended-up in the division. However, there is often an indicated area for away fans - e.g. at Shielfield the seating past the tunnel is indicated for travelling supporters, and it is traditional for them to like the far section of the terracing opposite - but it is not mandatory. You have to ensure visitors can access covered seats so that works quite well. Find a similar situation at the likes of Albion Rovers, East Fife and so on.

Every club which has joined SPFL has seen crowds go up, and Junior clubs often clock their best crowds of the season in the Scottish Cup (even with non-league Senior opposition), so I don't believe that it would be the opposite with a club of Junior origin and they'd see their crowds go down. Indeed, although they are often nothing remarkable - a few dozen - most SPFL2 teams will bring a larger away support than most Junior clubs.

I don't think there is any minimum admission in SPFL and Annan charged £8 on joining. Plenty charge £10. Not that much above West Juniors at £6.

I've never heard of formal segregation in SPFL2 (indeed it may be the same in SPFL1) except for the likes of Lanarkshire or Angus derbies, or times a big club like Morton / Rangers has ended-up in the division. However, there is often an indicated area for away fans - e.g. at Shielfield the seating past the tunnel is indicated for travelling supporters, and it is traditional for them to like the far section of the terracing opposite - but it is not mandatory. You have to ensure visitors can access covered seats so that works quite well. Find a similar situation at the likes of Albion Rovers, East Fife and so on.

Every club which has joined SPFL has seen crowds go up, and Junior clubs often clock their best crowds of the season in the Scottish Cup (even with non-league Senior opposition), so I don't believe that it would be the opposite with a club of Junior origin and they'd see their crowds go down. Indeed, although they are often nothing remarkable - a few dozen - most SPFL2 teams will bring a larger away support than most Junior clubs.

I don't think there is any minimum admission in SPFL and Annan charged £8 on joining. Plenty charge £10. Not that much above West Juniors at £6.

Your argument is flawed by using smaller struggling Junior clubs as an example when in the context of a pyramid we are really only talking about the big clubs. The point being that my club have severe reservations due to geography and the apparent unattractiveness of LL. I remember Annan getting a healthy crowd in their first season in league football, novelty no doubt. However, I consider that your theory would be tested with Talbot who are well set up, self financing and doing very well thank you. Have said it before, it would be great if the non league could be merged into something better than it all is now, where everyone could find a true level, but top Junior clubs would need something a bit different from those proposals to get them interested.

Your argument is flawed by using smaller struggling Junior clubs as an example when in the context of a pyramid we are really only talking about the big clubs. The point being that my club have severe reservations due to geography and the apparent unattractiveness of LL. I remember Annan getting a healthy crowd in their first season in league football, novelty no doubt. However, I consider that your theory would be tested with Talbot who are well set up, self financing and doing very well thank you. Have said it before, it would be great if the non league could be merged into something better than it all is now, where everyone could find a true level, but top Junior clubs would need something a bit different from those proposals to get them interested.

What's your thoughts then on a super-duper league isa where potentially your travelling to places within Tayside and Angus ?

Wheres yer attractiveness in that ?

I'm with herta and htg on this one.

The whole 'I'm a junior supporter' is cringeworthy. I'm a meadow fan and would love to see them in a pyramid. The LL could be a very strong league if the top junior sides took it seriously.

M

Would tend to agree, although I don't think my team could now be considered a 'top' junior side.

Something has to change, junior fans are drifting away.

Fixture list ? Forget it.

League cup at the start of the season ? Yes, you're in exactly the same section as the last dozen years.

I don't think the LL league is the answer, but unless there's change, more junior clubs will disappear.

I think the sensible thing to do would be to let teams apply without threat of being told to start at the bottom if they are unsuccessful.

Perhaps I have that wrong though and that's not the case at the moment.

Would tend to agree, although I don't think my team could now be considered a 'top' junior side.

Something has to change, junior fans are drifting away.

Fixture list ? Forget it.

League cup at the start of the season ? Yes, you're in exactly the same section as the last dozen years.

I don't think the LL league is the answer, but unless there's change, more junior clubs will disappear.

The real big one is the shambles that is the lack of a fixture list .

The clubs are partly responsible for this as well as the guys who run our game as if the clubs who spend big on wages stopped doing it for a good few seasons and concentrated on getting good floodlights in then it would be much easier for a good spread of fixtures with a couple of night time games kicking off at 1945 just like the seniors do .

The English non league teams in general piss over junior teams when it comes to floodlights and other facilities .

It would be great if we had a top league of 16 teams even nationwide with any potential midweek games under floodlights and kicking off at 1945, the midweek games could be slightly ' regionalised ' so that a west team wasn't travelling up to Aberdeen for example on a Wednesday night .

I still dont get the rational behind the complete disregard for a Pyramid system from the Juniors, as they are in one at the moment, the only difference is the top teams could (not will, could) be playing at a higher level, for the bottom teams there probably wouldn't be any difference.

If the juniors, wholesale joined the pyramid at the end of the season, next season would probably be exactly the same as this one, except you would get a fixture list at the start of the season for the whole season, not just weeks at a time. You could bolt the Juniors under the LL, and with the entry criteria, Auchinleck, Meadow, or who ever wins the league could just use the "sorry dont meet licensing" and stay where they are every year

What's your thoughts then on a super-duper league isa where potentially your travelling to places within Tayside and Angus ? Wheres yer attractiveness in that ?

Would have to be regionalized, perhaps with play offs.

I still dont get the rational behind the complete disregard for a Pyramid system from the Juniors, as they are in one at the moment, the only difference is the top teams could (not will, could) be playing at a higher level, for the bottom teams there probably wouldn't be any difference.

If the juniors, wholesale joined the pyramid at the end of the season, next season would probably be exactly the same as this one, except you would get a fixture list at the start of the season for the whole season, not just weeks at a time. You could bolt the Juniors under the LL, and with the entry criteria, Auchinleck, Meadow, or who ever wins the league could just use the "sorry dont meet licensing" and stay where they are every year

See, this is the problem with folks grabbing the wrong end, it's not disregard for a pyramid.

Archived