Sons v Wasps

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. What suggests to you that a vastly overweight Jamie Ewings will be more equipped to do "something spectacular"?

2. Fair enough, Taggart's been fine and was perhaps harshly dropped but it shows that Barr and Wright are here to play they'll be in the team if they are both fit.

3. See point 2.

4. Scott Brown didn't impress you (over a 78 minute period) and you want Kirky in his place? You'll need to remind me of anything impressive that Kirky has done in the last year and a half.

5. I must have missed the 3 goals we scored against Morton from open play, yet everyone keeps mentioning that we only score from set pieces. I would argue that our defending is more important to get right, we've scored more goals than Hibs & St. Mirren this year and comfortably more than our "rivals" in Morton, Alloa & Livingston (and that's with the toughest opening fixtures of the lot) - how they go in really isn't important.

There seems to be a lot of premature dismissal's of some of our squads ability by a few already. Stevie Craig in particular, being dubbed "Chris Duggan" and the likes doesn't really help anything - it's not even true, he's a completely different type of striker to Duggan. We should bear in mind that Stevie Craig hasn't had a full pre-season and aside from a couple of loan boys is the newest member of the squad. I don't think dropping folk immediately after having an average game is the way to go about it either. Yes, we need competition for places and people need to get their chance but with so many new players being put together I think we need some continuity (especially at the back) before we start looking to drastically change personnel.

In short, everyone chill the f**k out - we'll be just fine. And FWIW, I think we'll go 4-4-2 on Saturday and I think we'll win.

1. Brown hasn't done anything of note, simply doing the absolute basics - with questions over his decision making costing goals - I'd hope Ewings could do the basics and also perhaps, as a bonus, add slightly better decision making.

Obviously, however, there's no point arguing with you about Ewings, because you have your very firm opinion, with little room for movement, and have had for years.

2. Personally, I'd prefer we put our best team on the pitch rather than risking someone being pissed off by having to wait their chance - Taggart at right back is a no-brainer whenever he is fit.

3. One of Barr or Wright at centre back.

4. He did not. As I clearly showed, I'd prefer neither; I'd prefer a 4-4-2. Kirky is a very talented football player and there has been a lot of revisionism surrounding him - he hasn't been fantastic so far this season, but he played well after coming off the bench against East Fife and hasn't been overly bad in any other appearance apart from the Queens Park game.

5. I missed the Morton game, but in every other game it has seemed very hard for us to score in open play - obviously doesn't matter where the goals come from, but would be useful in the goal of winning matches if we could score in open play.

I agree about Craig, I like some of his movement, exactly what you'd expect from an experienced striker - it's just about giving him the right service/support. It's still early on, I reckon Craig will come good.

I like docherty going forward, but i'm not sure about his positioning at times.

Therefore

brown

barr buchy wright taggs

Jono

wullie gall sparky

gaz craig

Cawley drops to bench

Cawley had a mare on Friday but absolutely no way should he be dropped.

I don't get why people think ewings will be any improvement on brown. He has been okay for me, not great, but I'm comparing him directly with danny rogers who was outstanding.

Cawley had a mare on Friday but absolutely no way should he be dropped.

I don't get why people think ewings will be any improvement on brown. He has been okay for me, not great, but I'm comparing him directly with danny rogers who was outstanding.

Nail, head.

My Da' was having a pre-season grumble about Brown and that was exactly what I said. Danny was the best Sons' 'keeper in my lifetime (I am only 18 to be fair) and so it was unlikely whoever we brought in was going to be up to the same standard as him. Let's compare Brown to our previous permanent Number 1s as that's a more fair comparison.

Jamie Ewings - Has good games, and certain strong attributes. But also serious weaknesses (low crosses). He's a decent enough goalkeeper, but I'd say Brown is better.

Stephen Grindlay - Much like Jaz he is superb in certain areas (shot stopping, distribution) but also has serious weakness (Crosses into the box were never a strong point, and neither were One on Ones.) Brown is better.

Jan Vojacek - :wub: I loved Dr Jan. He was my absolute hero, he was to me what Axel is to The Moonster (okay, maybe not quite that obsessed...but I keep his gloves in my bedroom) He made a few horrific mistakes, but his penalty saves and sending off on his home debut before half time only to be named MOTM make him even better. I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

Michael White - Meh, pretty average 'keeper. Can't really remember much of him, apart from being lobbed from 60 yards against Arbroath. Brown is definitely better.

David McEwan - Tremendous during our title winning season, although he had a very good defence in front of him as well. Would I have him in his prime over Brown? I've no idea, it's very difficult to compare players when they play in leagues and teams so vastly different. He was probably the most similar to Brown, a bit unorthodox and not as dominant as he should be at collecting crosses. But also with the ability to pull off some top drawer saves.

Mark McGeown - Wasn't he about 50? :lol: He played in the Forthbank 1996 game. Didn't look up to much in his brief spell between the sticks. Brown is better.

The Sons permanent 'keeper alumni therefore isn't a particularly strong one. Saturday's opponent, David Crawford, was a good 'keeper. Probably one of the better ones in my lifetime. John Wight was decent as well...Anton Nugent...aye, less said about him the better ;) Putting Brown into context I think he's an upgrade on Shay...because that's effectively what he is.

Been choking to get on here and dissect that absolute shambles of a performance yesterday.

Don't know where to start to be honest but the two things that stood out for me is how utterly uninterested Steven Craig looks, he doesn't look like he's even trying. McCallum in, this pretender out. He brings absolutely nothing to the team.

The other thing is that we have a team who can pass it about, all look like triers that generally give their all but don't actually possess that much quality. We don't have anyone who can put their foot on the ball and pick a killer pass. The one guy who looks like he may be able to is Brown who should never have been subbed.

I'm not too happy about Taggart being dropped for Wright, why should he just waltz into the team? Can't say he's impressed me much at all and Taggart provides a good attacking threat down the right. I'd revert back to the back 4 that won 6 points out of 6 against Hibs and St Mirren, why even fanny about with it?

Grant Gallagher - meh. Far too inconsistent for me, seems like he'd benefit from playing in the one position and not 4 different ones per game. I do think he's a good player but sometimes he just disappears out of games.

Gibson I like but his confidence looked shot yesterday. Did he ever try to beat his man? Too many deep crosses rather than hitting the by line.

Cawley - one of our best players so far, dropped for our stand out shiter. Terrible decision.

After the Queens game I thought fair enough, we were beaten by a good side there. Unfortunately we weren't beaten by a good side yesterday, and that's not sour grapes. I don't often find myself grumbling out loud towards our own players/management but yesterday I did. Hugely frustrating to watch and was as painful as watching Scotland flounder around the final third trying and failing miserably to even muster up a shot on target. Our lack of cutting edge and creativity worries me big time.

Who was the bright spark who restored the site - MUST we talk about yesterday and the final wheel falling off the DFC bandwagon ?

No, you don't need to talk about it, but since you brought the topic up........ :P ........we were bad yesterday. :thumbsdown

Fleming was good, Cawley and young Donald looked lively but the rest of them? Lacklustre from the beginning, and we got exactly what we deserved in the end. How we've gone from being Hibs- and Saints- beaters to looking beaten before we kicked off is beyond imagination.

Steven Craig is NOT a footballer.

I know the game was sh!t but I don't believe booing the team off augurs well for the next two games. I bet they won't get booed at Cappielow.

I'm not too happy about Taggart being dropped for Wright, why should he just waltz into the team? Can't say he's impressed me much at all and Taggart provides a good attacking threat down the right. I'd revert back to the back 4 that won 6 points out of 6 against Hibs and St Mirren, why even fanny about with it?

I agree. Barr doesn't look entirely comfortable at right back and offers little going forward. Restore Taggs to the starting line-up move Barr back into the middle and get Wright onto the bench.

No, you don't need to talk about it, but since you brought the topic up........ :P ........we were bad yesterday. :thumbsdown

Fleming was good, Cawley and young Donald looked lively but the rest of them? Lacklustre from the beginning, and we got exactly what we deserved in the end. How we've gone from being Hibs- and Saints- beaters to looking beaten before we kicked off is beyond imagination.

Steven Craig is NOT a footballer.

I know the game was sh!t but I don't believe booing the team off augurs well for the next two games. I bet they won't get booed at Cappielow.

I left after the 2nd went in. Did folk actually boo the team off the park? :lol:

I left after the 2nd went in. Did folk actually boo the team off the park? :lol:

Yes, there was booing as they walked off. I suspect it was out of frustration over the result rather than directed at the players, but that's just my take on it.

Archived