Sons v Wasps

Don't think there's a thread for this yet...

Massive game for both teams, we can't afford to start asleep like we did against the Bairns on Friday. I'd like to think we'll have enough to get a win, and it'd be nice to actually score a goal from open play. I don't think Taggart deserved to be dropped from RB, and, whilst Barr was decent out of centre back I'd like to see him moved back to the centre.

I prefer Gal in a more attacking role, like we saw him in against Morton and for stages against Falkirk.

M.Brown

Taggart Barr Buchanan Docherty

Cawley Brown Routledge Gibson

Gallagher

Fleming

Hopefully former player syndrome strikes here: Dumbarton 2 (Cawley, Docherty) Alloa 1 (Holmes)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't see Wright being dropped here and I'd be surprised if it's anything other than the same back four as played Falkirk. In fairness they looked fairly solid after that ropey first 15.

It's further forward where things get more interesting. Brown and Routledge probably done enough to keep their places but only Fleming up front with Gallagher in behind looks decidedly defensive for a fixture in which goals are a necessity.

Big week for Aitken and the club.

I wouldn't be against recalling Kirky (I know he's not been great this season, but he's an attacking mid with ability) and lining up something more like this:

Out of Possession

Brown

Taggart/Barr Wright/Barr Buchanan Docherty

Cawley Gallagher Routledge Kirkpatrick Gibson

Fleming

In Possession

Brown

Taggart/Barr Wright/Barr Buchanan Docherty

Gallagher Routledge Kirkpatrick

Cawley Fleming Gibson

Although it's a 4-5-1 outwith possession, it becomes more of a fluid 4-3-3 when we have the ball with Willie and Cawley supporting Garry. This will offer us a wee bit more in an attacking sense, but should also be more resolute defensively.

Or do we give Ross/Craig a start and go all out 4-4-2? Neither did much when they came on on Friday night, but that Falkirk team were set up very defensively.

Front 6

Craig/Ross Fleming

We don't have a lot of options up front, so for me, the 4-5-1 come 4-3-3 suits us best. Looking forward to seeing how we do regardless, although we never seem to perform when we're favourites (as I'd imagine we'll be for this)

You can tell I'm bored with the amount of formatting I've done on this post :lol:

Don't think there's a thread for this yet...

Massive game for both teams, we can't afford to start asleep like we did against the Bairns on Friday. I'd like to think we'll have enough to get a win, and it'd be nice to actually score a goal from open play. I don't think Taggart deserved to be dropped from RB, and, whilst Barr was decent out of centre back I'd like to see him moved back to the centre.

I prefer Gal in a more attacking role, like we saw him in against Morton and for stages against Falkirk.

M.Brown

Taggart Barr Buchanan Docherty

Gallagher

Fleming

Hopefully former player syndrome strikes here: Dumbarton 2 (Cawley, Docherty) Alloa 1 (Holmes)

Football can be a cruel game and I think that the simple truth is than neither Wright nor Barr has come to the CID to sit on the bench. Add the fact that they are both Stevie signings and Taggs is basically not and the equation becomes clearer. Having said that, much will now depend on performances, as it should always do, but I wouldn't be averse to starting with the same back four as Friday.

It will be interesting to see if SA takes a punt on Ross; for all Garry's industry and presence he doesn't score many goals whilst Steven Craig is increasingly looking like Chris Duggan in a Steven Craig face mask. Maybe our erstwhile correspondent who seems to have gone to ground can advise what style we should be playing to get the best from him ;)

Alloa have had a bad start but this is exactly the sort of fixture they will target for getting something, whilst we really need to turn in a winning performance - it could be a nervy afternoon.

I think that against the likes of Alloa we must be positive and go for the victory with 4 3 3 . I would start with Fleming leading the line with Gibson and Cawley pushing forward with him. In midfield routledge brown and Gallagher together. If this is not working by half time I would bring on Ross up front to shake things up. I have the feeling that our top scorer this season will be Gibson or Cawley rather than any of the strikers.three points on Saturday would put us nine clear of Alloa and keep us in the top six.

---------- Ewings

Taggs Barr Buchanan Docs

--- Gallagher Routledge

Cawley ------------- Gibson

---- Fleming Craig/Ross

Brown hasn't done anything spectacular - I'd like to see Ewings given a shot

Taggart has to play at right back every week that he is fit to do so

There's no chance Aitken will drop Barr, so he'll have to start over Wright

Brown didn't impress me, see no reason to keep him in the team - if we're going for 3 in midfield I'd prefer Kirky

We need to show a bit of attacking intent and try... Ehhh... Score a goal in open play - Fleming and either Ross or Craig need to be on the pitch

---------- Ewings

Taggs Barr Buchanan Docs

--- Gallagher Routledge

Cawley ------------- Gibson

---- Fleming Craig/Ross

Brown hasn't done anything spectacular - I'd like to see Ewings given a shot

Taggart has to play at right back every week that he is fit to do so

There's no chance Aitken will drop Barr, so he'll have to start over Wright

Brown didn't impress me, see no reason to keep him in the team - if we're going for 3 in midfield I'd prefer Kirky

We need to show a bit of attacking intent and try... Ehhh... Score a goal in open play - Fleming and either Ross or Craig need to be on the pitch

1. What suggests to you that a vastly overweight Jamie Ewings will be more equipped to do "something spectacular"?

2. Fair enough, Taggart's been fine and was perhaps harshly dropped but it shows that Barr and Wright are here to play they'll be in the team if they are both fit.

3. See point 2.

4. Scott Brown didn't impress you (over a 78 minute period) and you want Kirky in his place? You'll need to remind me of anything impressive that Kirky has done in the last year and a half.

5. I must have missed the 3 goals we scored against Morton from open play, yet everyone keeps mentioning that we only score from set pieces. I would argue that our defending is more important to get right, we've scored more goals than Hibs & St. Mirren this year and comfortably more than our "rivals" in Morton, Alloa & Livingston (and that's with the toughest opening fixtures of the lot) - how they go in really isn't important.

There seems to be a lot of premature dismissal's of some of our squads ability by a few already. Stevie Craig in particular, being dubbed "Chris Duggan" and the likes doesn't really help anything - it's not even true, he's a completely different type of striker to Duggan. We should bear in mind that Stevie Craig hasn't had a full pre-season and aside from a couple of loan boys is the newest member of the squad. I don't think dropping folk immediately after having an average game is the way to go about it either. Yes, we need competition for places and people need to get their chance but with so many new players being put together I think we need some continuity (especially at the back) before we start looking to drastically change personnel.

In short, everyone chill the f**k out - we'll be just fine. And FWIW, I think we'll go 4-4-2 on Saturday and I think we'll win.

No wonder a diddy club like Dumbarton continue to punch above their weight with the amount of tactical geniuses supporting them. It could explain why Ian Murray is struggling at St Mirren as he hasn't got the back up from the main stand this year.

f**k knows what or who Lennon will play this week. Chopra 2 Dumbarton 1

No wonder a diddy club like Dumbarton continue to punch above their weight with the amount of tactical geniuses supporting them. It could explain why Ian Murray is struggling at St Mirren as he hasn't got the back up from the main stand this year.

You'll need better bait than that.

Some would say that we were rancid last season because I was a Stranraer fan :ph34r:

You better get the spade out and start digging. If you find us a mummified striker then send him along the Stirling straights to partner Chopra up top.

No need for me to get the spade out, I'm told it's just as easy as moving our ground across town = cash reserves that part time teams can only dream of.

I see on your thread you're supposedly signing a striker on loan from Dundee. Forgive me, but looking at your results so far is it not a couple of defenders you should be looking for over a striker?

No need for me to get the spade out, I'm told it's just as easy as moving our ground across town = cash reserves that part time teams can only dream of.

I see on your thread you're supposedly signing a striker on loan from Dundee. Forgive me, but looking at your results so far is it not a couple of defenders you should be looking for over a striker?

I genuinely don't think the defence is our problem. I think we've got a solid enough keeper in Crawford and I think a back four of Hill- Reintam- Marr- MacAusland (if he picks them and lets them gel instead of changing them every game) will keep them out. We badly miss Simmons protecting our back four this season. We've got a 6ft5 striker who is 5ft2 when it comes to jumping, another striker who Lennon called up to release at the end of season and didn't know he was in contract for another year, we've let Kader go who could play up top as well and we've got Eddie Ferns who couldn't get a game at Albion Rovers in League Two last year but we've gave him another contract and this sports psychologist c*nt who is apparently working wonders on Eddie and the rest of the squad. I hear we are signing a Hypnotist as well to fool us all into believing that things can only get better. Either that or Tony fucking Blair.

Archived