Queen of the South v St Mirren 5/9/15

So pretty much how we won every match in our 9 SPL years. Astonishing how many 'worst performance of the season' moments we've been on the right end of in the last decade. :lol:

It wasn't our worst performance of the season, we've been woeful pretty much every home game so far!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like from what the QoS fans have said we were poor, caught them on a bad day, and won due to their failings rather than our strengths... given our start, I'll take what we can though.

Im not sure thats quite what was said. Saints got themselves in the lead and managed the game really well.

It was a saints fan who claimed they were "great". They werent but they deserved to win. They cant rely on set pieces and defensive mistakes to take a two goal lead every week, though.

Im not sure thats quite what was said. Saints got themselves in the lead and managed the game really well.

It was a saints fan who claimed they were "great". They werent but they deserved to win. They cant rely on set pieces and defensive mistakes to take a two goal lead every week, though.

This. Not a single Queens fan has suggested St Mirren didn't deserve to win. Most have said they should have won by more. They did everything they had to do and did it well. Really professional. As I posted earlier, I've no idea how decent St Mirren are or aren't, we didn't really get a chance to see. They were presented with a couple of goals, accepted them gratefully and saw out the game comfortably. Their experienced players absolutely strolled it in those circumstances. Whether they are capable of getting themselves back into a game if they fall behind on the other hand, in exactly the same way that we didn't, remains to be seen.

It was me who said we were great - and based on what I've seen from the last 12 months, we were. I did point out it wouldn't be difficult to be better than what I've witnessed though!

Gallagher should have buried a chance at the start of the second half that was neither a set piece or a defensive mistake. Admittedly McMullan missed a chance that came from a set-piece - yours!

I've yet to see Millar put in a performance for us like he used to do against us with Falkirk. I'd love to see what the official number of misplaced passes was by Millar yesterday as I'd put good money on it being double figures. I'm a Fowler fan, but how he didn't realise the problem was the midfield yesterday is a bit of a cause for concern :unsure:

Right time, right place, right circumstances as I've said about many a player and Millar before. At Falkirk he was mainly one to look up to for a lot of our younger players, moaned a lot and wasnt scared to have a go at folk and was a right moany bassa. I recall him nearly going fisticuffs with Darren Dods, who was our captain over losing a goal.

He had to lead by example in our team with a lot of younger players who were barely out of school, he would point fingers and in a lot of the time by doing so, brought in the best in the younger ones.

As it stands, Houstie was correct not to sign him....which will please Monkey....

It was me who said we were great - and based on what I've seen from the last 12 months, we were. I did point out it wouldn't be difficult to be better than what I've witnessed though!

Gallagher should have buried a chance at the start of the second half that was neither a set piece or a defensive mistake. Admittedly McMullan missed a chance that came from a set-piece - yours!

Neither of which were goals ;) Both came on the break, which is exactly how they set up second half and looked dangerous. Thats was more the point I was making, you cant rely on being gifted a couple of goals to then be able to play on the break every week.

If things have been that bad over the last 12 months then I'll let you off with "great" :lol:

Right time, right place, right circumstances as I've said about many a player and Millar before. At Falkirk he was mainly one to look up to for a lot of our younger players, moaned a lot and wasnt scared to have a go at folk and was a right moany bassa. I recall him nearly going fisticuffs with Darren Dods, who was our captain over losing a goal.

He had to lead by example in our team with a lot of younger players who were barely out of school, he would point fingers and in a lot of the time by doing so, brought in the best in the younger ones.

As it stands, Houstie was correct not to sign him....which will please Monkey....

Not sure about that. Millar was a wee bit marginalised last season with McShane in our side and he wasn't fully fit. He played his part but wasn't wonderful. This season so far he has been excellent and clearly a lot fitter. He played poorly on Saturday but was carrying a knock going into the game which maybe hindered him more than it was expected to. I might have hooked him before he was but there were no shortage of candidates for that to be fair. Prior to Saturday I've had no problems with Millar this season and he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet for me. I don't agree with 19QOS19 at all about his performances this season.

St Mirren did all they needed to do and closed the game out well.

I think results so far show exactly where we can expect Queens to finish this season, 5th to 7th - coming near the top of that mini-league would be a successful season. Fowler has lost five very good players and been left with his first division journeymen and it shows, I think he's done the right thing by bringing in a lot of younger players but I fully expect there to be a lot of turnover as some are found to be wanting. If he can get three or four good players out of it then we might have something to build on next season.

From my limited viewpoint it seems like we've lost just about all our drive from last year. I'm not sure you can play Millar and Conroy in the same team without being a bit pedestrian, Jacobs looks solid but maybe just needs to up the tempo when he's on the ball. Smith has promise but I think yesterday showed that he isn't quite ready for a start, luckily Oliver looked lively and I'd like to see him get his chance with Lyle. I couldn't believe that Kidd didn't get put on at RB when we were desperate for some attacking width in the second half, I think he needs to be in there regularly (accepting defensive frailties) or we go to 3-5-2. For a young keeper I think Thompson looks decent and can't see where the calls to drop him are coming from other than loyalty to Atkinson. Marshall has played very well but I wonder how many more gears he has as he seems to be operating at 100% every week - it's a bit of an indictment on the team when just about all of our penetration is coming from an 18yo left-back.

(views based on seeing the games against Annan, Rangers (TV) and St. Mirren)

Not sure about that. Millar was a wee bit marginalised last season with McShane in our side and he wasn't fully fit. He played his part but wasn't wonderful. This season so far he has been excellent and clearly a lot fitter. He played poorly on Saturday but was carrying a knock going into the game which maybe hindered him more than it was expected to. I might have hooked him before he was but there were no shortage of candidates for that to be fair. Prior to Saturday I've had no problems with Millar this season and he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet for me. I don't agree with 19QOS19 at all about his performances this season.

Overall I`ve been happy with Millar this season.

Like others I really feel 352 might be best formation for us.

Why was there so many Police Officers in attendance at Palmerston on Saturday ?

What a complete and utter waste of money .

Probably because certain people in our support have proven incapable of behaving themselves consistently over the last two seasons and have ended up placing the club in that position. It's not rocket science. I don't know how many times it needs saying before it sinks in. We have gone from being completely unmentioned in police "risk clubs" lists to being No 7 in Scotland I think now. The outcome of that is inevitable. More police, more costs.

We played very poorly yesterday. Offered very little. Goals were cheap too. St Mirren deserved their win but I'm not sure we learned an awful lot about how good they may or may not be. They just had to be solid and take advantage of a couple of chances gifted them. You're right. if anything the margin should have been bigger. It was an all round bad day for us, at least until Oliver came on and livened us up a bit.

Webster was outstanding and absolutely strolled it. Thompson dominated us physically for 45 minutes but does look as if he's laboring a bit. Not sure he's got much longer at this level. Not sure I'd credit Goodwin or Langfield with much either. Goodwin was ok, but a wee bit fortunate not to be booked long before he was. Langfield was largely untested apart from big hanging crosses he can catch all day. His kicking wasn't great either. He made a good save right at the end from Heffernan though it appeared.

Thompson got an assist and a goal, if that's him labouring against one of the better teams I will take him labouring for the rest of the season. With no midweek games scheduled for us for the rest of the year all we need from him is 60 minutes like that once a week.

Several Saints fans I've spoken to had Goodwin as our man of the match, just like he was in Greenock. He breaks up play superbly and his presence in midfield had been dearly missed, not just this season but last season too when he was mainly used in defence. I also thought his booking was pretty harsh. C'est la vie, it seems Murray has finally taken to him and I expect him to continue to start week in week out. If he does we won't lose many midfield battles.

Langfield dominated his area and defence excellently the whole game. His experience and personality at the back has been a big asset for us since he arrived. In the three league games he's featured in we are unbeaten and have only conceded once, and that was a penalty. Webster is obviously a bit above this level and it was no surprise when QOTS gave up trying to play through us and then resorted to the aimless crosses and punts for Langfield to catch.

You must have been busy with "other things" Langfield never shut up the whole game totally bossed the St Mirren defence even bollocking Webster .Goodwin never missed a tackle ,or challenge, and compared two our middle two looked like he was up for it .

Spot on.

It's a great performance when you take into the account the context of the match. Remember, we hadn't beaten a Championship side in 5 attempts before Saturday, and 3 of those attempts were home games against Livi and Dumbarton. We were then coming away to a ground where we had failed to win twice when we were in the top flight two seasons ago, to play a team who were sitting 7 points above us. I certainly never seen a win of any description coming, never mind such an easy win. To then go two nil up in such circumstances it's natural to sit back and see the game out on the counter, and we did that excellently.

Incidentally, why can't we rely on set piece goals? There's teams that score 20 set piece goals a season. With the amount of height in our team from the likes of Thompson, Baird, Kelly, Watson and Webster along with the quality of ball Mallan is capable of producing I'm hoping it's an area we exploit to the fullest this year.

I had more issues with the stewarding than the policing tbh. What utterly hopeless stewards we have at our games.

What makes me laugh is that the powers that be have deemed it a risk, fans of QoS going between the new stand and the terrace, something that has been allowed for years. But one incident, which was the stewards fault, has led to this dare I say tradition(?) being stopped. Home fans can no longer move freely between those areas and there are normally two or three morons, sorry, stewards standing at the gate just to make sure this unspeakable act doesn't happen.

The irony of it all is that the away fans have to mingle with the home fans to get something to eat :lol: On a more serious note though, after St Murn went 2 up on Saturday a Saints fan went running right along the front of the new stand (quite well into the home fan section) to celebrate. All the while the stewards down the front are looking at each other absolutely clueless. A policeman had to come from the back of the stand to move the guy back into the away section. Thankfully that area is pretty docile and nothing serious occurred, but the fact it was allowed to happen is the biggest concern.

Would it not make more sense for the jobsworth's who stand at the gate to stand at the bit between the home and away fans and at least then they would be stopping away supporters from entering the home section and the home fans would be allowed to move between the two stands again?

Is this a club issue or a stewarding issue? Who decides this kind of thing?

Several Saints fans I've spoken to had Goodwin as our man of the match, just like he was in Greenock. He breaks up play superbly and his presence in midfield had been dearly missed, not just this season but last season too when he was mainly used in defence. I also thought his booking was pretty harsh. C'est la vie, it seems Murray has finally taken to him and I expect him to continue to start week in week out. If he does we won't lose many midfield battles.

That's spot on. I still can't believe Jim wasn't in the team at the start of the season. He's got that spark back and looks like he's really enjoying himself out there again, the big loony. If he stays relatively sane, he should boss most games at this level.

Archived