Rangers vs Raith Rovers, 5th September

This season goes to show how different we are from last year under Murray, Barrie McKay, at times last year looked like a player and the rest of the time he was brutal, battering anyway!!)

That was the Barrie we knew at Ibrox. This year he's turned something around and has gone from zero to hero.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok however Murrays achievements were more than most Raith managers in recent times? Wonder what stick your current boss will get then if he does not do as well in the league matches v Rangers and also in the final league placings in May. I certainly can't see him matching Murrays cup successes.

In fairness we'd have happily swapped four league rogerings for the two cup successes over Rangers. But you can't possibly be comparing last season's Rangers with this?

Murray's cup runs were great. He won 3 in 20 one season in the league and ultimately was sacked after losing 9 games from 13. Cup runs or not we showed several patches of form like that in his time.

I don't see a Ray McKinnon team happily accepting a 1-0 defeat in a Scottish Cup QF either, given the way we've chased games when behind thus far.

Grant Murray brought you a cup beating Rangers then again beating them away in the Scottish Cup only losing to the eventual winners 1-0 away in the q finals. Is that a weakness?

In the four league matches against the same team, we were pumped each time. Murray knew how we should set up against Rangers, but chose not to in the league. We basically sat back, invited pressure and got thumped.

I have no malice towards Murray - he is undoubtedly a good guy and I really hope he gets another job soon, but we were prone to long periods of poor results under him. Beating Rangers in the final did somewhat mask an absolutely dismal run of form in which we won 3 of our last 20 league matches that season.

As for Barrie McKay, he was mince with us but always looked as if he could do a job in a competent team. He has that now at Rangers and is benefiting. With us, he was best at losing the ball and trying to do too much.

Frown the (multiple) stories I've heard, McKay wasn't the least bit arsed in trying when he played for us, whether it was in training or on the park in a match, which makes it all the more bewildering that Murray continually picked him. Attitude was reeking and he really couldn't be bothered being at the Rovers last year, which showed in his performances. He very obviously had talent and a good bit of pace and skill, and now he's playing for the team he supports who required him to do virtually zero defending they're seeing the best of him.

As for the game, I can't afford to go to this and and Scotland game on Monday, so I'm going to sit this one out. Inevitable drubbing is the most likely outcome, I'll go 4-0.

Another one who's not really looking forward to this, what a difference a couple of months can make for Rangers huh ? Even after being pumped a few times I was still vaguely optimistic last year we could grab something at some point, this year however, not so much ...

Don't get me wrong, we have come on leaps and bounds since that Murray crap (ok yes he won us a cup I'm thankful) but Rangers are a different pot of gravy this season ... I'd love to grab something here, even a draw, but I can't see it :( 3/4-0 to Gers for me, and yes, its painful writing that hahaha :P

On McKay, I was one who thought he looked like he could do something last season, but then after 5 or 6 games of absolute garbage I gave up on him quickly ... Is he a Rangers man ? Seems to me @ Starks his heart didn't look to be in it much, now @ Rangers he seems to be loving it !

Frown the (multiple) stories I've heard, McKay wasn't the least bit arsed in trying when he played for us, whether it was in training or on the park in a match, which makes it all the more bewildering that Murray continually picked him. Attitude was reeking and he really couldn't be bothered being at the Rovers last year, which showed in his performances. He very obviously had talent and a good bit of pace and skill, and now he's playing for the team he supports who required him to do virtually zero defending they're seeing the best of him.

this,came across as totally not interested, big time charlie attitude in why the f**k am i here,am better than this

anyway saturday,2-1 the rovers

this,came across as totally not interested, big time charlie attitude in why the f**k am i here,am better than this

anyway saturday,2-1 the rovers

I'm guessing that he saw it as a punishment, poor man management from Ally and Kenny IMO.

Rumour is that he fell out with ally, hence why he was sent out on loan.

McKay up at Inverness last season was one of the worst displays from an attacking player I've ever seen.

Aye would make you question the manager that left him on for 90 mins while one of our top goalscorers who played the same position sat on the bench. :thumbsdown

Aye would make you question the manager that left him on for 90 mins while one of our top goalscorers who played the same position sat on the bench. :thumbsdown

wasn't it said on here the loan deal pretty much stipulated when McKay was fit, he played? Which if true would explain his attitude while with us and Grants insistence on playing him. If it's not true then yeah you have to seriously question Murray (and McKays attitude there.) Anyway the whole loan was a waste of time, I would much rather we gave one of our own youths some game time.

I've said my bit on McKay in the other thread but for me his attitude will prevent him from having a successful career. The lad has something but he clearly didn't care one bit about last season and was there because he had to be. He reminded me of Goodwillie and to a lesser extent Templeton and whilst both of them moved for £1m plus look at their careers now.

As had been said his performance at Caley was the easily one of the worst I've seen by a Rovers player and his whole "I'm better than this and you" attitude was summed up when he was booed off at Livi match at the end of the season.

I'm guessing that he saw it as a punishment, poor man management from Ally and Kenny IMO. Rumour is that he fell out with ally, hence why he was sent out on loan.

Barrie started well with us but his form fell away. He's hardly the only young player to be sent out on loan and he now says the laon spells benefited him. Let's hope he keeps up his recent good form.

More terrific football from us yesterday with Oduwa the highlight. Hard luck Rovers.

Archived