Morton - Motherwell

thisGRAEME

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd still have us as slight favourites, we don't score many goals but we actually have the 5th best defensive record in the Premiership and most of our games this season have been tight with only the odd goal in it. Don't expect this to be any different, I imagine whoever gets the first goal will go on to win the tie.

Was planning on going but after coughing up £22 for Saturday I think I'm going to give it a miss. Baraclough talks a good game but we're murder to watch at the minute and even if we do scrape a win here I imagine it'll be brutal to watch.

In saying that I'd be delighted with a turgid, scrappy one goal victory here. However I have a sneaky feeling we'll come a cropper and Baraclough will find himself in for a do or die clash with Thistle on Saturday.

If nothing else we really just need to get some consistency in our team selection. If we see more wholesale changes this week then I'll definitely worry.

As Casagolda says we're murder to watch at the moment but that can't have been helped by the chopping and changing in our XI and the variations in systems as Baraclough's scrambled to find something that works. So far this season I've seen us play 4231, 442, 4411, 352 and 433 with that in mind is it really any wonder we don't look particularly fluid and struggle in transitions.

The likes of McDonald and Johnson have absolutely needed benched given their form so far but Bara needs to just get an XI and give them a run of games together. Chalmers, Robinson and Kennedy have hardly been the worst players in the team so I hope they keep their places. Having said that surely Jake Taylor won't start?

I'd be happy with us going with the same starting XI and 433 that started on Saturday with the only exception being Leitch coming in for Taylor and keep Robinson, Moult and Ainsworth as the front three regardless of whether Skippy takes the huff.

Craigan's notably been talking Chris Cadden up the past few weeks and I was quite surprised at his choice of wording in saying that Cadden should feel unfortunate not to have been more involved with the 1st team as he's the closest we have to Pearson. Given Taylor's form (and position in the 1st team) it really did sound like a bit of a dig, can't argue that he's got a point though. Either way Cadden looks to have been a stand out yet again for the u20s today so I'd hope to see him on the bench and possibly get some game time.

Not sure we are favourites, we have started the season well and are undefeated in six but surely Motherwell have to be the favourites, even if they aren't playing as well as their fans would have liked? Saying that, if we give a good account of ourselves and play the football we have been playing - who's to say we can't go out and win the game? I just hope the players don't have one eye on the Rangers game at the weekend, and hopefully everyone will be giving 110% to be in with a shout of starting that one.

Will go for 1-1, 1-2 Motherwell AET.

I think we're at the point now where a majority of Motherwell fans want rid of the manager.

Lose this one, and it'll be every Motherwell fan, to a man, wanting him out.

Must win.

Looking forward to the game - but given we made real heavy weather of the game in Methil in the last round, we can hardly be over confident here. It's important not to go overboard about our form at the moment - we aren't good to watch but certainly aren't getting humped every week and so it won't be easy for Morton either....

One of my favourite nights (and the first time I ended up on the park at the final whistle) was at Cappielow in 91 - history lesson below (including the Aberdeen Manager taking the first penalty and Johnny Gahagan hitting one of the best pens I've ever seen later in the shootout).

They're obviously still clear favourites, but if we're ever going to manage to avoid being pumped by Motherwell it's in this one. They're not playing well albeit their defensive record is quite good, while we're doing far better than expected so far although we're ultimately still a bang average Championship team at best. We'll have confidence on our side if nothing else.

While he's still not 100% fit I really hope we can get 90 minutes out of Tidser in this one, preferably in central midfield instead of wasting him out wide. If we're going to get anywhere we need him on form.

Morton 6-0 Motherwell, Ross Forbes x6

Decent pubs are in the town at Greenock Central station. You can get the train to the ground (Cartsdyke) and back from there. Old Bank is probably the best bet for both, at the Tower end of the street down from Central station.

What's the score with a pre match pint? Any decent pubs close to the ground? Also heading straight from work so any advice on where to dump the motor and get a scran would also be appreciated!

Depends what you are looking for but there is a Mcds and a Brewers Fayre about a quarter of a mile past Cappielow on the right hand side.

There's a pub right at the ground.

Parking- there's a car park at the ground but park across the St at the docks and save yourself a few quid or the surrounding streets.

Archived