League cup round 3

Mr Bairn

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Decent trip for us - looking forward to it. I think I've got a 100% record at Cappielow in the 3 times I've been there - I saw a 2-0 win in the league in the mid-80's (someone scored a double for us - maybe Paul Smith?), the epic Cup QF in 1991 and a comfortable 3-0 in the league cup a few years back where Clarkson scored 1 of them...

That 1991 game was robbery. Played off the park and you go and win the shoot out.

Same season we were denied a famous win in the League Cup at Fir Park. Nice backhander to Kenny Hopeless to disallow a perfectly good Alexander winner in injury time.

That 1991 game was robbery. Played off the park and you go and win the shoot out. Same season we were denied a famous win in the League Cup at Fir Park. Nice backhander to Kenny Hopeless to disallow a perfectly good Alexander winner in injury time.

Can't argue with that :) The cup qf replay was the worst we played in that entire run and Jonny Gaghan scoring against us felt totally wrong - the joy of getting through had me on the park at the end... The first game was tough as well. The league cup game was a classic (4-3 to 'Well aet wasn't it?? I remember Psycho O'neill scoring a couple in that one I think).

Shouldn't be a surprise St Johnstone are never involved in the most exciting anything

Come on - 4-3 at Tynie?! John Sutton though...

Aberdeen must be laughing - probably a toss-up between Hibs and Killie for most wanted teams?

Thinking back to the format of the draw, I don't think it was the best/ fairest way to do it.

Fair enough the rationale for seeded teams, but the way they drew the ties meant that it was always going to be 4 seeded teams at home, and 4 seeded teams away.

Surely they should have drawn a seeded team, then draw whether they would be at home or away, then who they would be playing?

More random and gives more chance of "glamour" away ties for the unseeded teams, or indeed for unseeded teams to be drawn at home and cause an upset

Shouldn't be a surprise St Johnstone are never involved in the most exciting anything

I haven't mentioned St. Johnstone at all. I simply believe that Killie v Hearts isn't a 'stonker' in comparison to draws like Ross County v Falkirk, Morton v Motherwell or Dundee United v Dunfermline. I'd be surprised if Hearts don't win by at least 10 goals, and they already play each other at least 3 times during the season. I don't think it's remotely exciting.

Dreadful, dreadful dra'. We'll be pumped out.

Hibs vs Aberdeen surely has to be on the TV. Maybe even Dundee United vs Pars. Wouldn't be surprised if they picked the Celtic game though. The BBC will mention once how Raith beat them in a league cup final and then spend the rest of the night wanking off the serpents boaby as they stroll to a victory.

Archived