Doonhamers vs The Famous, Sunday 30th August

Come on Dougie you`re better than that.

Brandishing our team as hammer throwers and slating the pitch deserves such a response in my opinion. Although as I said in my last post - all the Rangers fans I met today in person were quite alright.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go f**k yourself.

Aye well done mate, good stuff. Just watched the tape back, red card no, it was nothing. Millar's stamp was avoidable dirty c*nt, both pens yep.

We can cut out the back heel stuff for me, it's shite and no need when we've got possession in numbers.

Other than that a thoroughly deserved win. And aye, your pitch is poor, it's f*ckin horrible watching league football on a training park.

As for hammer throwers, you look a much different team from last year, 2nd half especially, Queens just looked resigned to kicking us up in the air!

'Go f**k yourself' is it eh ?? Aye that's justly reflected by the score line I suppose, Don't miss the match report in your paper tomorrow mate will ya!

Mon the Gers WATP

Rangers by far the better team in the first half and well worthy of their one goal lead. In the second half the red card obviously ended any hopes QotS had of getting back into the match and it was like a training session for Rangers from then onwards. Clear red card by the way. When a player pushes his head into an opposition player the referee has to send them off.

Why he hasn't sent the player off for the first penalty I don't know. Maybe, just maybe, the fact he never saw the Lyle headbutt made him reluctant to produce another red card? Then again, he was a bit card happy so maybe not!.... I did think it was red card though, not that it matters now.

The second penalty was a stonewaller. Not much else to add in that respect.

Brilliant build up play for 3 goals scored in open play, with Halliday's opener probably being the pick of the bunch. Very disappointing to lose the consolation goal to make it 5-1 though. The defence should have did better but for all the heart-in-mouth moments our defence produces they don't actually concede many goals to be fair.

QotS seem to have gone backwards compared to last season. Sure, Rangers have significantly improved but QotS were poor going forward (when they actually did) and just wanted to soak up the pressure. It may have worked against Rangers last season but their team didn't appear to have the quality required to capitalise on the counter this time round.

I've answered everything put to me.

You're just scared cause you've met a decent Gers fan....

...who likes David Bowie as well!

:)

You think it would be unusual for me to have met a decent Gers fan? :o

Disgraceful prejudice against the Rangers IMO.

Two thoughts:

1. The default P&B view is that one's a bigot by dint of supporting Rangers. This gets tedious in the extreme.

2. Many match threads make some reference to 'the songbook'. This is equally tedious. They even get affronted when it's a song that doesn't have 'naughty words' in it.

No one is apologising for bigotry. We're simply sick of the same old tropes being spouted week in week out.

I don't really get how posters acting as though it's not a big deal is any kind of logical response to that; it smacks of shooting the messenger. Highlighting the Rangers "songbook" isn't just tedious for Rangers fans, but they have some sort of power to stop it, at least.

The best way to stop Rangers fans having an image of bigotry is to pressure the club into dealing with the bigots, not telling people they're making a fuss over nothing.

I don't really get how posters acting as though it's not a big deal is any kind of logical response to that; it smacks of shooting the messenger. Highlighting the Rangers "songbook" isn't just tedious for Rangers fans, but they have some sort of power to stop it, at least.

The best way to stop Rangers fans having an image of bigotry is to pressure the club into dealing with the bigots, not telling people they're making a fuss over nothing.

Heads in the sand when it comes to this, the sevco will just brush it off and keep churning it out week after week unfortunately. Fair play to them today though they look like a decent outfit under warburton.

The best way to stop Rangers fans having an image of bigotry is to set fire to them

FTFY.

I had the never- to - be - forgotten experience of walking through the rangers support on Terregles Street before the match. Cavemen, propping each other up, roaring songs about Nacho Novo and Provo's ( or something) . I was wondering what these people do the other six days of the week. David Attenborough could do worse than take a case study out on them.

Don't tell MT that ffs, he'll be absolutely raging hearing that we have decent fans in our support.

Don't be so bloody childish Youngsy.

Of course there are loads of decent Rangers fans. That's why I've already said so in as many words already in this thread. Without wishing to sound like a politician claiming to have black friends, I think I can safely say I've got friends and family who support Rangers. Even the Rangers fans on here are generally a decent bunch, so stop the nonsense.

Having seen the highlights:

Still think Lyle red card is harsh. He is daft to respond but there is no real force in his action and Kiernan absolutely caused it by running 20 yards to needlessly get involved in an incident that had nothing to do with him and was already over with Lyle walking away. He then put his head into Lyle first. Yellow each would have been sensible. Warburton called it spot on.

1st penalty looks even more harsh when i see it properly. For me if anything the foul is the other way. He ran into Dowie, bounced off him and somehow got a penalty for it!

In fairness the free kick ahead of the second penalty is a foul when seen again. And Russell's handball is indefensible. Wasnt sure contact was actually on the box. His feet were in it but his hand may be forward a bit. No serious complaint though.

And for the character for whom English appears a second language who was claiming earlier that Smith was five yards offside, he was nowhere near offside and did Kiernan a massive favour he didnt deserve given his earlier antics by staying on his feet and scoring rather than going down.

This. If it was the other way round, Dowie had fallen over and Bell had scored, theres no way Madden would have disallowed the goal and given a free kick to Queens.

Rangers by far the better team in the first half and well worthy of their one goal lead. In the second half the red card obviously ended any hopes QotS had of getting back into the match and it was like a training session for Rangers from then onwards. Clear red card by the way. When a player pushes his head into an opposition player the referee has to send them off.

And yet Kiernan got no punishment at all

Why he hasn't sent the player off for the first penalty I don't know. Maybe, just maybe, the fact he never saw the Lyle headbutt made him reluctant to produce another red card? Then again, he was a bit card happy so maybe not!.... I did think it was red card though, not that it matters now.

The second penalty was a stonewaller. Not much else to add in that respect.

Brilliant build up play for 3 goals scored in open play, with Halliday's opener probably being the pick of the bunch. Very disappointing to lose the consolation goal to make it 5-1 though. The defence should have did better but for all the heart-in-mouth moments our defence produces they don't actually concede many goals to be fair.

QotS seem to have gone backwards compared to last season. Sure, Rangers have significantly improved but QotS were poor going forward (when they actually did) and just wanted to soak up the pressure. It may have worked against Rangers last season but their team didn't appear to have the quality required to capitalise on the counter this time round.

As has been pointed out, several times, you cant deny a clear goalscoring opportunity if your opponent doesnt have control of the ball.

Two thoughts:

1. The default P&B view is that one's a bigot by dint of supporting Rangers. This gets tedious in the extreme.

2. Many match threads make some reference to 'the songbook'. This is equally tedious. They even get affronted when it's a song that doesn't have 'naughty words' in it.

No one is apologising for bigotry. We're simply sick of the same old tropes being spouted week in week out.

You may not be but for sure the ones who are not are apologists for those who are. Tackle them or be branded the same as them.

I thought Fowler's tactics were spot on in the first half.

Before the sending off it still looked like Rangers were going to win. They look great this season. I said that before the game and have no reason to change my mind now. We need to remember the gulf here! They will tear apart many more teams this season!

Disappointed we lost the heads a bit. Gers fans accusing us off hammer throwing but I think it was more just players (many young and inexperienced,) losing the head. They will learn from today.

One positive; Aidan Smith took his goal well and that won't do him any harm at all for getting more game time.

Is that not contradictory? If we never looked like winning then the tactics were surely wrong? I know The Rangers are a far better outfit this season but they are certainly beatable, especially at Palmerston. I've already said my peace about the formation so I won't babble on about it any further. To not 'go for it' at home is very disappointing stuff though and IMO we never looked anywhere near threatening enough yesterday.

Did anyone else hear this sectarian sing along? Or is it just Cletus stirring it?

I heard it just after the second goal.

As has been pointed out, several times, you cant deny a clear goalscoring opportunity if your opponent doesnt have control of the ball.

Yes, you can.

If for the sake of argument the ball had been crossed along the line, but not on target, and Ball had been waiting to tap it in at the back post when Dowie dived in and rugby tackled him to the ground with no-one else within five yards it would be a penalty and red card despite the ball not having reached Ball. What we have here in reality is no different. If Dowie isn't there and makes no contact with Ball it's a tap in. It couldn't really have been much more of a clear goalscoring opportunity. I don't think it's a foul at all but if it is a foul it's a stonewall red card and I've no earthly idea what excuse other than realising he's probably treated us very harshly two minutes earlier Madden had for not red carding Dowie.

Kiernan did not move his head forward in an attempt to head butt though, Lyle did, even if it was only a half hearted attempt, it was harsh but really Lyle only has himself to blame.

It was a clear goal scoring opportunity...it was a tap in and he was always going to be first to the ball, your defender knew this and took him out, clear penalty and should have been sent off.

Kiernan instigated the head to head contact by sticking his forehead against Lyle's. Lyle retaliatory forward motion was more than Kiernan's but what they did was fundamentally the same. Nobody attempted to butt anybody. Two idiots rubbed their foreheads against one another. It's fairly inexplicable and completely inequitable that they didn't get the same outcome from the referee.

I don't think it's a clear penalty, and I don't think Ball was always getting to the ball first, they'd have got there about the same time I think. However, I agree if he gives a penalty it simply had to be a sending off.

Yes, you can.

If for the sake of argument the ball had been crossed along the line, but not on target, and Ball had been waiting to tap it in at the back post when Dowie dived in and rugby tackled him to the ground with no-one else within five yards it would be a penalty and red card despite the ball not having reached Ball. What we have here in reality is no different. If Dowie isn't there and makes no contact with Ball it's a tap in. It couldn't really have been much more of a clear goalscoring opportunity. I don't think it's a foul at all but if it is a foul it's a stonewall red card and I've no earthly idea what excuse other than realising he's probably treated us very harshly two minutes earlier Madden had for not red carding Dowie.

IIRC the guidance says you have to take into account their control of the ball or likelihood of controlling the ball. Madden was well within his rights to have doubt over whether Bell would get to the ball first, as you said, they would likely have got there together. Therefore, its not a clear goal scoring opportunity.

I would liken it more to the kind of penalties you see given for shirt pulling and blocking from corner kicks.

Don't be so bloody childish Youngsy. Of course there are loads of decent Rangers fans. That's why I've already said so in as many words already in this thread. Without wishing to sound like a politician claiming to have black friends, I think I can safely say I've got friends and family who support Rangers. Even the Rangers fans on here are generally a decent bunch, so stop the nonsense.

:lol::lol: Ok Dad. A bit delicate there to certain banter aren't you, MT. :P

IIRC the guidance says you have to take into account their control of the ball or likelihood of controlling the ball. Madden was well within his rights to have doubt over whether Bell would get to the ball first, as you said, they would likely have got there together. Therefore, its not a clear goal scoring opportunity.

I would liken it more to the kind of penalties you see given for shirt pulling and blocking from corner kicks.

If you are ruling that Dowie has fouled then you have to take his influence out of the equation. If Dowie wasn't there then Ball has a tap in, therefor it is a red card.

Archived