No Assistant Ref's

MUSSY EXILE

As I get ready to leave to go to Musselburgh no less than five of the eight super league games this afternoon have no confirmed assistants.

This is making the game a joke. It's difficult enough for refs without having linos and quite frankly ruins it as a spectacle.

I guess someone has to have a think about increasing the amount assistants are paid, to at least try and attract more as at the moment its a shambles which seems to be getting worse.

Maybe they will find ten linos since the appointments list was updated this morning. I doubt it.

3 of the 4 games in the east which have assistants are taking place on Tayside. There are 9 games in the top 2 tiers in the west with full sets of officials with every top flight game covered. All Lowland league games have a full set of officials allocated.

Basically if you play junior football in the Lothians you're fucked.

This is where you start to see the true standing of the game at this level.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They were clearly struggling for officials this weekend.

Going by the SFA website... after the SPFL, Highland, Lowland and Womens SPL games all got filled (and even then 4 of the women games were to be filled by local referee FAs) there were 10 sets of officials left in the West, and in the East of the country they were evidently going to try to cover 8 East Junior and 2 EOS League games (1 last night) although only 5 actually had confirmed officials, rest 'tbc'.

Normally the West Juniors get 11-12, the East Juniors 9, and EOSL 1-2 rustled-up on the day, and within those few are marked 'tbc'.

Seem to be getting threads about this every other week now.

Ideally you'd have officials across the West Junior SuperPremier and SuperFirst, the East Juniors Superleague and Premier, and the EOS League. In practice they are usually a couple of sets short in the West and lucky if they are 2/5 the way there in the East, only Tayside being well-supplied.

Situation isn't going to change unless they can recruit and retain more officials. There will be natural variation, granted, but things clearly aren't great. Biggest barrier to recruiting and retaining more officials must be the amount clubs vote to pay them, and the abuse they get off players coaches and fans.

We had no assistant referees at Blantyre v Glencairn today, the first time I can recall watching a West Super League match without a full set of officials. I understand, however, that we weren't the only game in that situation.

What I do find strange, though, is that we had assistant referees allocated to our match earlier this week, then yesterday we got an email to advise that, due to call offs, the assistants had been removed from our game. I'm not sure if these assistants were moved to another game, their names were Michael MacDermid and Colin Weir. Perhaps somebody could advise if these linesmen officiated at another game today, because if they did I'd like to know why that match was deemed to be more important than ours.

The referee at our game basically just gave offside all afternoon, whether it was offside or not. It's almost impossible for him to judge, to be fair, so it seemed to me that he just decided he was going to blow for everything regardless. There were several borderline decisions, and two which were not even close to being offside, but he still blew for offside when our players were clean through on goal and highly likely to score.

My personal opinion is that, if a full set of officials can't be provided, then the game shouldn't take place. This is supposed to be the "Super Leagues", and all of the matches in the same league should be officiated under the same refereeing criteria, ie three officials. Why should we not have linesmen at today's game, yet the next team visiting Blantyre more than likely will ? Of course, this is no criticism of Blantyre, this was entirely out of their control.

According to the SFA's website (the PDF is dated yesterday btw - i.e. revised since they were issued on Tuesday), a Colin Weir was paired-up with an Alan Smith to officiate at Kilsyth-Bellshill. There isn't a Michael MacDermid shown.

Yoker-Kilwinning & Cumbernauld-Maybole also lacked assistants.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/resources/documents/RefereeAppointments/JuniorFootball/WestRegion/08.%20Saturday%2029th%20August-Wednesday%202nd%20September%202015.pdf

Perhaps MacDermid plus Smith's intended colleague weren't available, so Weir & Smith were paired-up?

If you want equal coverage for all games then you'd have to recruit more officials; reject the available 4-6 sets after all SuperPremier games are filled; or cancel games.

None at mussy joke 2 off sides made 2 goals

Utter pish, your team being rank rotten on the day made 4 goals and an easy win for the BU's.

Perhaps your team may have benefited from decisions if they made it to within 30 yards of our goals.

A massive contributing factor to the problem is the SFA's insistance on running before they can walk. We now have Lowland league, EOS, Womens football, Development league, under 20's etc. etc. etc. All these high profile leagues with little thought given to who's going to officiat them. Now it's a matter of catch-up.

Once players, committee and supporters realise that verbal abuse isn't helping the game, we'll maybe see an increase in folks willing to take on the challenge.

Till then we're left with individuals who aren't up to the task taking money out of the game and causing utter chaos!

A massive contributing factor to the problem is the SFA's insistance on running before they can walk. We now have Lowland league, EOS, Womens football, Development league, under 20's etc. etc. etc. All these high profile leagues with little thought given to who's going to officiat them. Now it's a matter of catch-up.

Once players, committee and supporters realise that verbal abuse isn't helping the game, we'll maybe see an increase in folks willing to take on the challenge.

Till then we're left with individuals who aren't up to the task taking money out of the game and causing utter chaos!

A contributory factor is that a number of these leagues now take priority when it comes to allocation of officials because they're not standing on the outside of the sfa tent pissing in. Junior football is going to reap what it sows in terms of wanting nothing to do with the rest of the game in Scotland.

A contributory factor is that a number of these leagues now take priority when it comes to allocation of officials because they're not standing on the outside of the sfa tent pissing in. Junior football is going to reap what it sows in terms of wanting nothing to do with the rest of the game in Scotland.

to be fair having watched what the officials have to deal with in terms of abuse from fans, coaches and players, there can't be a much better place for them to learn their trade. Sink or swim type thing. The good ones rise to the top and probably most environments they officiate in after juniors aren't as hostile.

to be fair having watched what the officials have to deal with in terms of abuse from fans, coaches and players, there can't be a much better place for them to learn their trade. Sink or swim type thing. The good ones rise to the top and probably most environments they officiate in after juniors aren't as hostile.

I suspect fitba fans are much the same up and down Scotland. The fact is other leagues are higher priority. Scottish Cup preliminary round next week so every chance we'll see a repeat.

Archived