Squad name face Georgia & Germany (September)

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the last squad i would make the following changes,

Bain > Samson

Shinnie > Forsyth

Armstrong > Bannan

GMS > Forrest

This has to happen. If Forrest gets in before Armstrong or GMS then somethings no right. Both are ahead of Forrest in the same position at club level. Bain over Samson is a no brainer going by club performances and Shinnie has been outstanding and deserves his chance after Forsyths horror show in Dublin. Although Mulgrew may be out so could call them both up.

Being biased because I really like the guy but Watt scored again for Charlton, wouldnt be anywhere near the team but id like to see him in the squad, he is Scotlands future striker IMO. Just turned 21.

Snodgrass is back in training as far as I'm aware but not quite at match fitness yet. Will be a huge boost when he returns

Hes said he wont make any of the 4 games coming up already im sure. But he will be back just shortly after.

This has to happen. If Forrest gets in before Armstrong or GMS then somethings no right. Both are ahead of Forrest in the same position at club level. Bain over Samson is a no brainer going by club performances and Shinnie has been outstanding and deserves his chance after Forsyths horror show in Dublin. Although Mulgrew may be out so could call them both up.

Being biased because I really like the guy but Watt scored again for Charlton, wouldnt be anywhere near the team but id like to see him in the squad, he is Scotlands future striker IMO. Just turned 21.

Didnt realise he was that young, looks to have finally grown up at Charlton, the fans love him.

Didnt realise he was that young, looks to have finally grown up at Charlton, the fans love him.

Some of his performances towards the end of last season were phenomenal. Their forums were worried that a Premier League side would be getting him in the summer. Hopefully forces his way into the Charlton team and keeps banging in the goals.

Mulgrew is actually fit, never realised, so aye id punt Forsyth too.

Seeing as you asked:

Marshall

Whittaker - He isn't any better than Hutton but is a better Defender and actually PLAYS for his Club every week

Martin

Hanley

Shinnie - Based on current form better Prospect than the bombscare Forsyth and out of form Robertson

Brown

Mulgrew if fit

Anya

Maloney

Morrison - Don't rate him personally but seems to do well for Scotland

Rhodes

Graham Shinnie deserves his chance, should have got it at Caley being honest but he is doing well for Aberdeen.

Agree with the above on Tony Watt, if he is scoring he should get a call up.

If Naismith and Fletcher the worlds laziest man are not playing and not scoring should they really be first names on the teamsheet?

Seeing as you asked:

Marshall

Whittaker - He isn't any better than Hutton but is a better Defender and actually PLAYS for his Club every week

Martin

Hanley

Shinnie - Based on current form better Prospect than the bombscare Forsyth and out of form Robertson

Brown

Mulgrew if fit

Anya

Maloney

Morrison - Don't rate him personally but seems to do well for Scotland

Rhodes

Graham Shinnie deserves his chance, should have got it at Caley being honest but he is doing well for Aberdeen.

So for our biggest double header in a long, long time, with the first match being one we absolutely 100% have to win, we're going to be playing a "prospect"? And a player up front that our manager has already pretty much confirmed doesn't fit into the system he wants to play. The rest of the shouts are probably about right, although Naismith will start instead of Morrison I imagine. The latter will slot in next to Brown if Mulgrew doesn't make it, or bench if he does.

Now is not the time to be changing things. We have to play the same system we have in the previous games, and with largely the same personnel, unless there is a like for like replacement. If it was just about who'd scored most goals, Fletcher would be nowhere near the side. But it isn't top trumps. Rhodes is certainly not the answer. Griffiths could be, but imagine he'll be on the bench to be thrown on late on or if we're in trouble. Fletcher will start, in front of Anya, Naismith and Maloney if all are fit. All but guaranteed.

I digress it is arguably the wrong time to experiment at such a crucial time..........however, I cannot be the only person in this country whose heart sinks everytime you see crap like Craig Forsyth, Craig Bryson and Gordon Greer getting called up and out of form players like Fletcher and Naismith and Hutton being picked for every game regardless of performance.

Lets be honest here, if Forsyth and Greer played in Scotland they would be nowhere the team as well.............

Ryan Jack? Give me strength. Even GMS, McLean and Armstrong have done nothing to force their way into a squad that has been doing so well.

Expect the squad to be as similar as possible to the last one, with only injuries accounting for any change. There hasn't been enough games since the Ireland game for players to actually show any good or bad form.

Jack would be rather leftfield, I agree.

I have a sneaking feeling McLean might be brought along for this one though. He's had a really strong start to the season and might fit Strachan's usual thing where he calls up one younger guy to see what they're like in training etc.

When's the squad named? I'll predict Strachan will go for the following, which I think would be 3 changes (Bain for Samson, Hanley for Reynolds, Mackay-Steven for Adam).

I think this will be more or less exactly it. I'd have Armstrong ahead of GMS (I'd have Phillips over GMS too) but that and injuries aside this will be the squad.

So for our biggest double header in a long, long time, with the first match being one we absolutely 100% have to win, we're going to be playing a "prospect"? And a player up front that our manager has already pretty much confirmed doesn't fit into the system he wants to play. The rest of the shouts are probably about right, although Naismith will start instead of Morrison I imagine. The latter will slot in next to Brown if Mulgrew doesn't make it, or bench if he does.

Now is not the time to be changing things. We have to play the same system we have in the previous games, and with largely the same personnel, unless there is a like for like replacement. If it was just about who'd scored most goals, Fletcher would be nowhere near the side. But it isn't top trumps. Rhodes is certainly not the answer. Griffiths could be, but imagine he'll be on the bench to be thrown on late on or if we're in trouble. Fletcher will start, in front of Anya, Naismith and Maloney if all are fit. All but guaranteed.

Up front, I don't think there is an answer if we continue with the 4-2-3-1 formation. By that I mean that there is currently no one player that will deliver what a lot of Scotland fans crave (i.e. incisive forward play and a steady supply of goals from the guy up front). That system paired with our current pool lends itself to goals being spread across the team, albeit too thinly for my liking.

Said it before, but I think we looked waaay more threatening and purposeful when we played 4-4-1-1 vs Croatia at Hampden.

That sounds like a moan, but I'm actually chuffed that we're at least competent looking these days, with the odd flash of brilliance.

anyone who thinks that there will be any surprise inclusions or any many changes is living on a different planet.

I think someone said it already, for some strange reason Strachan seems to be falling into that old familiar Scotland manager trap of picking the same players regardless, give or take the odd shock now and again as token gesture.

I am so passionate about our country but I am past caring now when the squads get named because we will never see what we want to see.

We are far too predictable and have no plan b which is why we will finish 3rd, I know I am being negative but lets be honest here, I think we could all get at least 10 of the starting 11 for the Goergia game right already.

Hutton will start regardless of playing for Villa or not, we will play a Right Back at Left Back, James Morrison will start even though Darren Fletcher keeps him out the West Brom side, Naismith the ghost will start even though he doesn't start at all for Everton and the worst of all, the non goalscoring striker that is Steven Fletcher will start both games even though he doesn't play for Sunderland yet Rhodes, Griffiths are banging them in for their clubs........

Its time we started picking players in form and not old favorites.

If we finish 3rd, the reason will be that in general we don't produce enough great players and not because Steven Fletcher starts ahead of Leigh Griffiths.

Up front, I don't think there is an answer if we continue with the 4-2-3-1 formation. By that I mean that there is currently no one player that will deliver what a lot of Scotland fans crave (i.e. incisive forward play and a steady supply of goals from the guy up front). That system paired with our current pool lends itself to goals being spread across the team, albeit too thinly for my liking.

Said it before, but I think we looked waaay more threatening and purposeful when we played 4-4-1-1 vs Croatia at Hampden.

That sounds like a moan, but I'm actually chuffed that we're at least competent looking these days, with the odd flash of brilliance.

I see what you're saying, but I think 4-2-3-1 is the one we should be playing with now. It let's us sit in a 4-5-1 when defending, then spring Anya with Naismith and Maloney getting beyond Fletcher with the ball. I could be wrong, but I think 4-4-1-1 would require an out and out goal-scorer and creator that we just don't have. 4-2-3-1 covers up the deficiencies we have in our squad better.

Having said that, wouldn't be against us playing a 4-4-1-1 with someone disciplined enough behind the striker. Anything but 4-4-2. I hate the "we-need-more-goals-just-play-4-4-2" argument...

Shinnie has grown on me so so so much but Robertson is just another level. Fletch, Naismith and Hutton have all been brilliant for Scotland. Theyre the stalwarts and spine of the team. You just simply cannot drop them. Greer is just there as we have an astonishing lack of centre halves to pick from, which is strange for Scotland as I remember us lining up with McManus, Weir, Caldwell, Dailly and Pressley in the same team at times!! :lol:

Eta - meant to quote Troopio

Archived