WHERE HAVE ALL THE CENTRE BACKS GONE

daleboy1969

Almost every club I talk to east and west are looking for a big strapping centre back . Where have they all gone ! Are we a nation off soft midgets now ?? Gonna fone the sun newspaper and have open trial at harthill or shotts so we can aw get a centre back each :-)

Almost every club I talk to east and west are looking for a big strapping centre back . Where have they all gone ! Are we a nation off soft midgets now ?? Gonna fone the sun newspaper and have open trial at harthill or shotts so we can aw get a centre back each :-)

Kev Ross at Fauldhouse, isn't the biggest centre half but he's one of the best I've seen in the super league. Sammy Watson played at centre half on Saturday again not a big strapping centre half but his reading of the game and his timing over comes that!!

Kev Ross at Fauldhouse, isn't the biggest centre half but he's one of the best I've seen in the super league. Sammy Watson played at centre half on Saturday again not a big strapping centre half but his reading of the game and his timing over comes that!!

They are still out there just not as many . We have Just signed Danny Boyle who has a massive presence .

Last guy I remember at my team who really stood out was Brian Wardle .

On Saturday due to guys unavailable we had to play another man mountain at centre back Paul Finnigan.

It certainly seems like it as when I was a youngster back in the early 90s I seem to remember most teams having big hardened bears at centre half like Ian Ashcroft at pollok / Irvine meadow & arthurlie, pat cairney at arthurlie , Ian spittal at pollok , Alex Kennedy at glenafton , Barry mcorriston at Beith, Paul " the lunatic " maher Petershill / kilbirnie etc.

However Maybe they weren't really that big at all compared to now and it's just that I was a wee guy back then who thought all the centre halfs were enormous compared to me :)

Maybe a bit like how we always go on about our favourite chocolate bars like curly wurlys being tiny now compared to how big they were back in the day .

Just like our current centre halfs compared to old maybe they have always been the same size but they appear bigger when younger :)

It certainly seems like it as when I was a youngster back in the early 90s I seem to remember most teams having big hardened bears at centre half like Ian Ashcroft at pollok / Irvine meadow & arthurlie, pat cairney at arthurlie , Ian spittal at pollok , Alex Kennedy at glenafton , Barry mcorriston at Beith, Paul " the lunatic " maher Petershill / kilbirnie etc.

However Maybe they weren't really that big at all compared to now and it's just that I was a wee guy back then who thought all the centre halfs were enormous compared to me :)

Maybe a bit like how we always go on about our favourite chocolate bars like curly wurlys being tiny now compared to how big they were back in the day .

Just like our current centre halfs compared to old maybe they have always been the same size but they appear bigger when younger :)

They really were bigger back in the day,bud :) :

2528799156_c9eeeb9f1b.jpg

Like Hertha I grew up watching guys like Cairney, Spittal, Ashcroft as well as guys like Rab Anderson, Souness Allison & Currie etc and agree with Cotter they may be a dying breed due to the way the game has gone. Ball winning centre halves are more or less outlawed by some refs.

Hopefully some new younger guys can make the step up.

Like Hertha I grew up watching guys like Cairney, Spittal, Ashcroft as well as guys like Rab Anderson, Souness Allison & Currie etc and agree with Cotter they may be a dying breed due to the way the game has gone. Ball winning centre halves are more or less outlawed by some refs.

Hopefully some new younger guys can make the step up.

A huge difference between Centre halves back then and now is that back then in the 80s/90s when the big clatty operators were out in force as centre halves is that back then there weren't many games that had a referee and two linesman .

Back then you had a referee and two club officials running the lines in lots of regional games and giving throws only , so basically you had one set of eyes watching you in the referee .

The big hardened centre halves often when marking their prey / strikers had a wee look to see the referees back was turned and they pulled hairs out of legs and committed lots of other dirty tricks on forwards and it went unpunished due to them doing it on the refs blind side.

Nowadays with referees being assessed by their superiors constantly and just about every game having assistant referees who see lots means that the old fashioned clatty centre half operators are almost redundant . :(

Davie Shannon at the gow was a classic Centre Half . The Shannon 30 yard sliding tackle was his patented move. His wife used to bring their big Alsation to the games , It was only marginally less hairy than him. Legend

Davie Shannon at the gow was a classic Centre Half . The Shannon 30 yard sliding tackle was his patented move. His wife used to bring their big Alsation to the games , It was only marginally less hairy than him. Legend

Been saying for years that we have never came close to finding someone like Davie. Think the 2 new boys at the back could be as close as we have had. Both love a tackle and win most in the air.

Its getting gradually coached out of lads im afraid.

Go anywhere these days, especially youths & its Coerver this, tikki takka that.

No sure how Claudio Gentile & Tam Forsyth would do in the modern game?

Could it be all these synthetic pitches that are partly responsible. ?

You don't see many people steaming into old fashioned slide tackles on it like you do on grass.

Archived