Midweek results Wednesday 5 August

Rab B Nesbit

Game of two halves last night: 1st half we looked a bit slow, plenty of pressure but the students soaked it up. Dean Carse was given a good chance but a point blank save by Tait denied him. Just before half time and a defensive mix up allowed Jack Guthrie to shoot past Amos. I could actually have seen something like that happening the way things were going.

The rain which had come on just in time for the game stopped in the second half and City stepped up a gear from the 1st half, grabbing an equaliser after good player which saw Ross Guthrie played though. Three minutes later good play from the City sub Guthrie saw the ball crossed to Allum and his header evaded Mark Tait. It must be fustrating to watch Tait sometimes as he is capable of producing some great saves but also make some howlers. Towards the end a Uni player was red carded, a bit harshly IMHO, for a two footed tackle- a yellow would probably have sufficed.

Uni hospitality was second to none as usual- do they have the best cakes in the League? Quite happy, given the missing personnel from the City team, to escape Peffermill with 3 points. If Uni can uncover a 25 goal a season striker in their new student intake then they should do well too.

Looking forward to a trip to Cumbernauld now on Saturday given the previous postings above.

Good game. Great advert for the league and I still think EK are most likely to win the league with their additions. Gretna despite the two defeats will still be top four IMO. Stirling dark horses.

aye if you can sort your defending out!!! 8 goals conceded in just two games?

Selkirk were very comfortable against a poor vale side. Mickey has a tough one on his hands there. Selkirk have started well with 2 good wins but I think lack of experience in the team could hinder them, only one player over 23 I think last night. Ross Gray stand out player by a mile

Selkirk started well last season too before falling away.

Having a young side should hold them in good stead in a season or two if they keep those players.

Game of two halves last night: 1st half we looked a bit slow, plenty of pressure but the students soaked it up. Dean Carse was given a good chance but a point blank save by Tait denied him. Just before half time and a defensive mix up allowed Jack Guthrie to shoot past Amos. I could actually have seen something like that happening the way things were going.

The rain which had come on just in time for the game stopped in the second half and City stepped up a gear from the 1st half, grabbing an equaliser after good player which saw Ross Guthrie played though. Three minutes later good play from the City sub Guthrie saw the ball crossed to Allum and his header evaded Mark Tait. It must be fustrating to watch Tait sometimes as he is capable of producing some great saves but also make some howlers. Towards the end a Uni player was red carded, a bit harshly IMHO, for a two footed tackle- a yellow would probably have sufficed.

Uni hospitality was second to none as usual- do they have the best cakes in the League? Quite happy, given the missing personnel from the City team, to escape Peffermill with 3 points. If Uni can uncover a 25 goal a season striker in their new student intake then they should do well too.

Looking forward to a trip to Cumbernauld now on Saturday given the previous postings above.

Fair analysis of the game but the second goal clearly deflected off the uni defender . Nothing tait could have done about it . The red was harsh but you could tell the referree never even thought about it and was going straight for a red , a more experienced ref would have given a yellow.

City looked very similar to last year , solid throughout and a team that all seem to work for each other on the park. They also carry a strong large squad which will help later in the season. It's either them or East Kilbride for the league .

Tait arguably best keeper in LL.

Only thing missing last night was cheerleaders we had music (far too loud and modern) electronic scoreboards,mascots et al :D

Electronic scoreboard? Swish.

Tamthebam and his City cohorts will be upset, they used to have a scoreboard monopoly but theirs is knackered, IIRC.

Yup. Four or five years ago, someone left the scoreboard on overnight and the lights burned out. It's only kept there as a pathetic attempt to make Meadowbank less of a wind tunnel.

Yup. Four or five years ago, someone left the scoreboard on overnight and the lights burned out. It's only kept there as a pathetic attempt to make Meadowbank less of a wind tunnel.

Are there plans for a scoreboard in the refurbishment?

I was in attendance for my first LL match and I have to say firstly what an excellent addition CColts will make to this League with their set up /support and of course their team.

The match would probably have been best served as a draw as there was very little between the teams whom played total contrasting styles and formations on the night and during some dreadful down pours .

Colts first goal looked to be well offside but the WW 2 just stood with his hand up while the Colts forward played on and cracked the ball home , ( play the whistle springs to mind )

Colts appeared to have a 4/5/1 but sat deep and had no intention to play from the back but launched the ball at every opportunity and broke with pace and their two wingers 7 and 11 were very impressive the latter scoring a great individual goal .

WW appeared to have a 4/1/3/2 but that's a guess and attempted to play from the back and avoided the long ball most of the time but surprisingly on the excellent large pitch had no players out wide ! and instead adopted to pack the midfield.

If WW had not scored 2 quick goals prior too half time I thing the Colts would have won but that's ifs and buts

WW number 10 could only have been replaced if injured as took his goal with aplomb but looked to leave the pitch without any problems and was the best attacking threat WW possessed .

I would like to have ever had the speed and stamina of the WW 3 whom seemed to have to play left back / mid / wing / all in one for the entire 90 and try to cope with the Colts 7 which in itself was a match.

This made for a interesting match up and a superb advert for the Neutrals but WW for me shaded it as they at least made more attempts to play creative football and not resort to the good old Scottish Style of Launch pad hoofball.

I would end by saying well done to both sets of players not a bad tackle all night and despite the rain both teams played out this match in a great spirit

Nice report , from what I heard about the game your pretty much spot on

Gala v Stirling

Was a good game with a decent crowd and the gulf between the 2 teams was mostly down to ball retention as when a Stirling player was on the ball there was always players in space ready to receive a pass and this was not so with Gala!

Gala looked impressive going forward on the few occasions that they played the ball out from the back but all too often it was route one from the keeper and defenders and the keeper played a huge part in Galas defeat by being poor and indecisive!

Looking at the Gala defence I would imagine that the lack of any options from the bench will be a real problem this season unless Gala can make more signings as one of the only 2 centre halfs is on a ban already and it looks like he will have to be covered by a midfielder!

Are there plans for a scoreboard in the refurbishment?

Aye, an old fashioned wooden one with letters A-Z for half time scores so you HAVE to buy the programme to find out what score relates to what match!

THE SPARTANS 1 PRESTON ATHLETIC 1

From a Spartans point of view, this was an insipid display. Their main point of attack seemed to be to feed Horribine on the left and although he did score a flukey goal (thanks Flocks :thumsup2), his general crossing and attempts at shooting were woeful. On the balance of first half pressure, Spartans just deserved to be ahead at half time, although Preston did have a couple of decent chances to level.

As the game continued Preston grew more into it and their neat, fast passing started to cause problems for a home defence that without Ally MacKinnon, looked less than sturdy. After they equalised - a firm header from Moffat - the game died until the last ten minutes when Spartans seemed to wake up. A wonderful save by Flockhart and a poor headed miss from Malone made sure Preston got a deserved draw.

Apparently Spartans performed quite well at Stirling and looking at their midfield you can see that counter attacking in away games they could be successful. But on Wednesday at home, against a team that closed them down quickly, ideas seem few and far between. Oh and something that p***es me off is playing one up front then giving him no support. Two through the middle please!

Archived