Forfar v Hearts, League Cup Second Round, 25/08/2015

Elixir

Got there in the end - sounded like a right hard game.

No, it wasn't really. It was just unfortunate that after an excellent performance in the middle over 90 minutes, the referee completely failed to realise that our lads were out on their feet, were lagging the pace a bit and getting caught. A wee bit of commonsense and insight - and perhaps some knowledge of playing the game - might have made a difference. It wasn't malice aforethought, it was sheer knackeredness, that's all.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only treble you will get is hitting one on a dartboard, Will struggle to finish top six.

Well done Forfar tonight, Patched up side bench full of youngsters. Get everyone back and there's no one to fear. Might have been a different story with Swanks, TOB and the others. Onwards and upwards.

Tonight's team is exactly the one we'll play in the league. It's why we're finding the step up so challenging.

First half I thought we were absolutely dominant, Forfar did absolutely nothing whatsoever and we really should have been taking some sort of lead into the dressing room, in fact we were absolutely dominant right up until we went one up, and then decided to sit back, which last proved suicidal!

The Forfar equaliser was actually expected among the Hearts support, even although they did nothing to deserve one, but if you've followed Hearts in League Cup games as long as I have, then you just know we're going to make heavy weather of it, it's the way we seem to do it time and again, I really wish we'd put out our strongest side from the word go and just killed the tie off, rather than risking going out of one of only two pieces of silverware we actually have a chance of winning, we have a history of fucking it up in this comp!

Fair play to Forfar for sticking in though and getting back into the game when it looked lost, and only a crazy challenge when already on a yellow swung it in our favour at the end as Forfar simply ran out of steam, and we very nearly did too!

That tackle eight at the death was a shocker, I was practically 8 yards away from it and he tried his best to break the 16 year old lads leg, his facial expression when he went in, and the way he lunged, was just filthy as f**k, and he quite rightly received dogs abuse from the fans behind the goal, the man is a complete arsehole!

The ref was shocking for both sides, it was never a penalty (or it was very very harsh), I counted 5 corners in the game that weren't corners, three for us and two for Forfar, some of the fouls he was blowing for were soft as shite for both sides, whilst letting harder fouls pass, he was a complete nightmare, but I think my favourite was when Hearts should have been awarded a second spot kick after he waved play on for a foul on the left wing, but then pulled it back for the initial foul on the left wing after playing on, completely shitting out of it, he's not going to be on international duty any time soon, that's for sure!

Special mention for Rab Douglas, he was quite simply outstanding tonight and man of the match by a country mile! Age is creeping in though, he was struggling to kick the ball out, but his throws were phenomenal! His penalty save was a cracker too, and he pulled off a great double save at 1-0 to keep is team in the game.

Forfar set up well and made it hard for us. Rab Douglas' saves for the penalty and Junama's header were disgustingly good.

McKirdy gave as good as he got and won a few decent tackles, Smith and Rossi were solid. That would be as good pass marks as I could give. Oliver needs to be telt this is a pre-season game, and McHattie is still shite at the back.

Still though, gives us a little reality check that we'll have poor games like this one.

Thought Big Rab was magnificent, 43 and on one leg he may have been but some tremendous saves and all round keeping. Defence as a whole were very good, especially missing 2 starters, Travis really should be playing from the start anyway. Midfield solid with Hodge in particular, again, impressing me with his work rate. Upfront we didn’t really have enough to trouble Hearts though I would imagine Danny Denholm will have nightmares about that chance at the end, it may have played a part in his second booking (though each of his bookings were really soft). Nicholl though, stupid challenge, deserved red and he is going to be a liability tackling like that especially when we have a raft of injuries at the back.

Thought we did good credit to ourselves with the performance and despite 10 men in extra time made a really good go of it in the final 30 minutes.

I think Neilson took us a little too lightly but at the same time if he had played a finisher they probably would have won in the 90 minutes quite straightforwardly.

A monumental effort from our patched up young side, delighted with everyone in a Forfar shirt from start to finish. I appreciate Hearts made a few changes too but to compete with one of the top teams in the country for so long shows where we are at.

Thought Danny's sending off was actually laughable, you'd be aswel making it a non contact game from the start if you are going to send someone off for those two offences. How the referee cant see that or apply a bit common sense I'll never know.

Nicol deserved to go.

Good luck to Hearts in the next round.

Have to say how proud I was of Forfar last night.

As many have pointed out Hearts were well on top in the first half and we struggled to keep the ball further forward. Templeman tried his hardest but was well marshalled by the centre backs and we couldn't always get support.

Despite Hearts being well on top they never really had a clear cut opportunity in the half. A few decent efforts from far out or half chances but Rab dealt with everything well and I thought the defence were superb; well disciplined, won their challenges well and constantly closing down quickly. I think Mick Dunlop deserves praise as he's not featured too much and the last big macth he played against Ayr at the end of last season he was poor. Special mention must go to Michael Travis who won everything.

Second half was still Hearts well on top and they did start creating better chances forcing Douglas into a great double save after they got in down our left. I was a bit far away for the penalty but what a save from Rab, and to get up to block the rebound was superb too.

Pressure eventually told and Hearts scored a good goal and at that stage I thought they'd get another 2 or 3 but Rab Douglas obviously didn't think so. His save from the point blank Juanma header was unbelievable and he dealt with a few other attempts well; especially a drive from the edge of the box from I think McHattie.

However we did start to come more into the game and started to get the ball into better spaces, especially out wide. The goal was a bit of strange onem one of those headers that just loops for ages and can go anywhere, fortunately for us it went in.

At that stage Hearts were rattled and we had a great chance to win it when Denholm got in down the left but he didn't compose himself and skied it. Just after that he got himself sent off. I honestly can't remeber his first yellow and although I think there is a case to say it was a soft second yellow I can see why it was given as Hearts were on the break, it wasn't a bad foul but given they could have attacked I can see the refs thinking (not that I agreed with the refs thinking for the majority).

For Extra Time we were out on our feet but still defended relatively well before the pressue finally told, I think the reaction of our players summed up how gutted we all were. From then Hearts were largely comfortable, although Malin in the second half of extra time did well to beat the right back and get into the box but much like Denholm earlier he lacked that bit of composure.

There's no defedning Nicoll regardless of the frustration felt, it's so disappointing after the excellent shift he put in but the challenge was awful and he's actually lucky that he never caught the boy fully as it could have been a bad injury. I like the look of Nicoll but he does seem liable to an idiotic challenge which is not helpful to anybody.

Class told in the end but I think we can hold our heads high and we've done ourselves proud. I think the young boys Hearts had out will learn from it and although some of them were quite winning and playing in a game like that will do them good. Their defence and Gomis strolled it. McHattie got up and down the pitch all game. Nicholson looked quality although he did drop in and out of the game and you could tell when Paterson came on that he was a different level than us. Good luck to them for the rest of the season.

I've mentioned a few of the boys but think I need to praise Kerr Hay for the running he did, Foxy although not able to get involved as much as usual did still have a few great passes and was completely out of it at the end following his efforts and I thought Smith looked good going forwrad when he came on. Rab deserves another mention for 4 or 5 great and 1 incredible save.

However, special praise must go to Brian Hodge who was superb in the middle of the park, he was the one player in midfield who really showed composure and didn't panic, he got us out of a few tight situations and some of his tackling was fantastic, I lost count of the amount of challenges where he was second favourite but emerged with the ball, he looks a superb find.

So proud of my team overall and hope we can kick on in the league now.

^^^ sobbing uncontrollably

Seven wins out of seven, banana skin tie and that auld c**t who always seems to play a stoater against us Rab Douglas successfully navigated.

Into the hat for the next round. Pleasing.

Aye I cried myself to sleep.....laughing in memory of booting you out of the Scottish Cup at Tynecastle many moons ago.

Have to say how proud I was of Forfar last night.

As many have pointed out Hearts were well on top in the first half and we struggled to keep the ball further forward. Templeman tried his hardest but was well marshalled by the centre backs and we couldn't always get support.

Despite Hearts being well on top they never really had a clear cut opportunity in the half. A few decent efforts from far out or half chances but Rab dealt with everything well and I thought the defence were superb; well disciplined, won their challenges well and constantly closing down quickly. I think Mick Dunlop deserves praise as he's not featured too much and the last big macth he played against Ayr at the end of last season he was poor. Special mention must go to Michael Travis who won everything.

Second half was still Hearts well on top and they did start creating better chances forcing Douglas into a great double save after they got in down our left. I was a bit far away for the penalty but what a save from Rab, and to get up to block the rebound was superb too.

Pressure eventually told and Hearts scored a good goal and at that stage I thought they'd get another 2 or 3 but Rab Douglas obviously didn't think so. His save from the point blank Juanma header was unbelievable and he dealt with a few other attempts well; especially a drive from the edge of the box from I think McHattie.

However we did start to come more into the game and started to get the ball into better spaces, especially out wide. The goal was a bit of strange onem one of those headers that just loops for ages and can go anywhere, fortunately for us it went in.

At that stage Hearts were rattled and we had a great chance to win it when Denholm got in down the left but he didn't compose himself and skied it. Just after that he got himself sent off. I honestly can't remeber his first yellow and although I think there is a case to say it was a soft second yellow I can see why it was given as Hearts were on the break, it wasn't a bad foul but given they could have attacked I can see the refs thinking (not that I agreed with the refs thinking for the majority).

For Extra Time we were out on our feet but still defended relatively well before the pressue finally told, I think the reaction of our players summed up how gutted we all were. From then Hearts were largely comfortable, although Malin in the second half of extra time did well to beat the right back and get into the box but much like Denholm earlier he lacked that bit of composure.

There's no defedning Nicoll regardless of the frustration felt, it's so disappointing after the excellent shift he put in but the challenge was awful and he's actually lucky that he never caught the boy fully as it could have been a bad injury. I like the look of Nicoll but he does seem liable to an idiotic challenge which is not helpful to anybody.

Class told in the end but I think we can hold our heads high and we've done ourselves proud. I think the young boys Hearts had out will learn from it and although some of them were quite winning and playing in a game like that will do them good. Their defence and Gomis strolled it. McHattie got up and down the pitch all game. Nicholson looked quality although he did drop in and out of the game and you could tell when Paterson came on that he was a different level than us. Good luck to them for the rest of the season.

I've mentioned a few of the boys but think I need to praise Kerr Hay for the running he did, Foxy although not able to get involved as much as usual did still have a few great passes and was completely out of it at the end following his efforts and I thought Smith looked good going forwrad when he came on. Rab deserves another mention for 4 or 5 great and 1 incredible save.

However, special praise must go to Brian Hodge who was superb in the middle of the park, he was the one player in midfield who really showed composure and didn't panic, he got us out of a few tight situations and some of his tackling was fantastic, I lost count of the amount of challenges where he was second favourite but emerged with the ball, he looks a superb find.

So proud of my team overall and hope we can kick on in the league now.

Good reading that,cheers.

Aye I cried myself to sleep.....laughing in memory of booting you out of the Scottish Cup at Tynecastle many moons ago.

Looked that up last night on London Hearts to see if Forfar had ever beaten Hearts. 1982.

Last night was the only ever draw between the sides

Outstanding stuff from every player tonight......we soaked it up and once Hearts blew every chance we took our's and should have won it at the end with Danny Denholm.....this ref has now sent off 6 of our last 7 sendings off...if Nicholl had touched the small boy in the last minute he would not be able to walk ever again....poor poor stuff from Hearts on and off the pitch...more noise from the cows in the mert!! Away the Loons

Just back in from Station Park. Hearts got away with throwing in a pretty awful performance, had the boy avoided a second yellow, I think Forfar may well have gone on to win.

McHattie scored a decent goal, but overall he was pretty pish, shocking distribution at times.

The Hearts time wasting at 2-1 up and a man up in extra time had to be seen to be believed.

Credit Forfar for a very workmanlike performance & Rab the Slab for a couple of fantastic saves including a penalty. Hearts won't get away with as lackadaisical performance against better opposition and their much vaunted fitness levels let them down badly against ten man opposition.

We've had harder games against pub teams like Arbroath and Forfar this season than against the utter shite in the Premiership, which Dundee United are a part of.

Nae luck.

Only treble you will get is hitting one on a dartboard, Will struggle to finish top six.

Hahahahaaaaa.

Mate, your pub outfit put in a plucky cup performance against an understrength big boys outfit, that's really all there is to it.

No, it wasn't really. It was just unfortunate that after an excellent performance in the middle over 90 minutes, the referee completely failed to realise that our lads were out on their feet, were lagging the pace a bit and getting caught. A wee bit of commonsense and insight - and perhaps some knowledge of playing the game - might have made a difference. It wasn't malice aforethought, it was sheer knackeredness, that's all.

So the ref should show favour towards the inadequate fitness levels of your hammer throwing brickies and plumbers?

Don't let me hold you back - well done you.

Looked that up last night on London Hearts to see if Forfar had ever beaten Hearts. 1982.

Last night was the only ever draw between the sides

It wasn't a draw, it was a win AET.

We've had harder games against pub teams like Arbroath and Forfar this season than against the utter shite in the Premiership, which Dundee United are a part of.

Nae luck.

Hahahahaaaaa.

Mate, your pub outfit put in a plucky cup performance against an understrength big boys outfit, that's really all there is to it.

So the ref should show favour towards the inadequate fitness levels of your hammer throwing brickies and plumbers?

Don't let me hold you back - well done you.

It wouldn't be P&B without utter plebs like this!

For what its worth, I think Hearts are a credit to themselves as a club, watched the way they conducted themselves last night, from the warm up right through to the end they look a classy outfit. After being run horrifically for so many years, the new regime seems a great model with Budge, Levein and Neilson in charge.

Shame you can't be as respectful to hard working clubs like ourselves.

It wouldn't be P&B without utter plebs like this!

Shame you can't be as respectful to hard working clubs like ourselves.

No it wouldn't.

Enjoy the seaside leagues and total obscurity with your hatchetmen and cripple of a keeper forevermore.

542.gif

Archived