Queen of the South v Alloa

1st league game of the season, at home hopefully 3 points to start off the campaign. Team selection will prob depend on fitness of squad or whether we sign anymore players b4 then.

Would like to see Atkinson start in goal with a 3 5 2 formation in front of him.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Difficult one to predict. We've had some decent results and performances with our new look squad up until yesterday when perhaps tinkering with the first team and formation was taken a little too far. If we set out our team more offensively than defensively here then I actually think we have a good shout of all three points.

Here's hoping we get off to a good start, especially with them at the Indo next Sunday! Although a point at Palmerston then inflicting Warburton's first loss in charge would be just braw.

Despie some good performances, we've still no idea how our squad will measure up at Championship level; start of the league season hasn't been able to come fast enough for me, for that reason. Players like big Geoff and Catalin Paun will no doubt take a few weeks to pick up the tempo anyway, so a good performance here would be excellent news for the rest of the season.

Nobody seems to think that Queens will be a patch on the team from the past few seasons; how do you lads think the squad is looking? At least you managed to recover from your scare against bottom tier opponents :(

I think the 3-5-2 is going to be the best system for getting the most out of Conroy and Millar, but with the latter missing on Saturday I tend to think we should stick with the 4-4-2. I've not seen any of Tapping to know whether he is good enough to be thrown straight in or not. I'd move Conroy centrally alongside Jacobs and push Kidd into right midfield and start Hooper.

I think the calls for Thomson to be dropped are very premature, and based more on a sentimental notion that Atkinson deserves to start because he's played second fiddle for a long time, rather than a belief he's a better option.

I get a bad feeling we're going to get a doing here. Always a difficult away trip for us even when we had a settled team. With practicaly a whole new squad I can see us struggling. Hopefully Lennon was just trying out a few things in the Berwick game and reverts to a more sensible lineup for this one.

Draw would be an excellant result.

Hoping we have a few additions in time for this game. With no Millar and tapping injured (unless he's going to be back) were lacking in midfield. Like Cammy says think the clamour for Atkinson rather than Thomson is premature as I think the two goals were as much the players marking or playing the pass's fault than his.

I'd go for -

Thomson

Hooper Dowie Higgins Marshall

Kidd Jacobs Pickard(?) Conroy

Lyle Hilson

Suppose Kidd could play in middle, Hilson to right wing and young Aidan upfront or Russell if needed

Ach well. At least he has a pre-loaded excuse if your home form is poor this season :)

...that he's used to managing clubs with poorer surfaces than ours? :P

...that he's used to managing clubs with poorer surfaces than ours? :P

Lennon had a go at our state of the art artificial surface when we put St Mirren out of the league cup the season after they won it. I dread to think what he thinks of yours.

With Millar suspended could we see Skelton starting?

Lennon had a go at our state of the art artificial surface when we put St Mirren out of the league cup the season after they won it. I dread to think what he thinks of yours.

The b*****d. Gone right off him now :angry:

Has Lennon Mulraney had the plastic pitch at Alloa torn up yet?

We've spent £100k replacing our floodlights instead. Just in time for our BT Sport debut against Rangers next Sunday (which is a 12.30 kick-off!) :1eye

Archived