Airdrie v Forfar

Now that the cup stuff is out the way, it's time for the real deal.

Airdrie have been mediocre at best so far, but I'm confident of a home win here. The matches with Forfar were pretty tight last season (2 Forfar wins, 1 Airdrie win and a draw), but Forfar have lost a few of their best players over the summer and replaced them with.... well, I don't really know. Your website seems to be down and wikipedia says you only have 15 players - surely that can't be right? Can any Loons confirm?

I'd like to see Prunty and Cox upfront for this one. Same back four as yesterday (if CON is fit), Morton and McAleer on the flanks, McBride and Sumsky in the middle. Van Zanten didn't really work in there, and he was a bit exposed at LB last week. Think it's RB or nothing for him, but Bain's done nothing to merit being dropped.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While we've been a bit blah in the two cup games, I've seen enough to suggest that we'll be there or thereabouts come the end of the season. In my mind we just need time to settle and gel.

I reckon yesterday was closer to the starting 11 that we should be using most weeks. We had a natural width and used it to good effect at times. I like McAleer, but I thought that Cox looked much better wide right yesterday than he did up front and deserves to start there again against Forfar.

I agree on Van Zanten, he wouldn't start ahead of Bain or O'Neill for me, but I reckon Chris will be out next week as the injury yesterday looked like flair up of his groin problem. If that's the case, it's got to be Bain left back and Van Zanten right back, as Van Zanten is completely incapable on the left hand side.

It's a no brainier in the middle of the park for me, it's got to be McBride and Gilfillan.

As for up front, I like Morgan. He isn't Jim Lister, he doesn't have the same partnership with Prunty but he's a young lad still learning the game. He works hard and showed enough yesterday to suggest he'll be a good stop gap until the situation with Lister is clearer.

With all of that in mind...

post-7964-14385226337675_thumb.jpg

It's hard to tell how Forfar look this season. My early impression was that the only sides who really improved greatly over the summer were Dunfermline & Ayr. Ourselves, Peterhead, Forfar, Stenny seem to be much of a muchness. Stranraer, Cowden & Brechin have all had to do considerable rebuilding jobs and the Rovers appear to be weaker by their own fans' admissions.

Ultimately we have a good shot at the top 4 but we must start quickly this year.

2-1 to Airdrie, Prunty and Morgan with the goals.

While we've been a bit blah in the two cup games, I've seen enough to suggest that we'll be there or thereabouts come the end of the season. In my mind we just need time to settle and gel.

I reckon yesterday was closer to the starting 11 that we should be using most weeks. We had a natural width and used it to good effect at times. I like McAleer, but I thought that Cox looked much better wide right yesterday than he did up front and deserves to start there again against Forfar.

I agree on Van Zanten, he wouldn't start ahead of Bain or O'Neill for me, but I reckon Chris will be out next week as the injury yesterday looked like flair up of his groin problem. If that's the case, it's got to be Bain left back and Van Zanten right back, as Van Zanten is completely incapable on the left hand side.

It's a no brainier in the middle of the park for me, it's got to be McBride and Gilfillan.

As for up front, I like Morgan. He isn't Jim Lister, he doesn't have the same partnership with Prunty but he's a young lad still learning the game. He works hard and showed enough yesterday to suggest he'll be a good stop gap until the situation with Lister is clearer.

With all of that in mind...

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1438522630.971499.jpg

It's hard to tell how Forfar look this season. My early impression was that the only sides who really improved greatly over the summer were Dunfermline & Ayr. Ourselves, Peterhead, Forfar, Stenny seem to be much of a muchness. Stranraer, Cowden & Brechin have all had to do considerable rebuilding jobs and the Rovers appear to be weaker by their own fans' admissions.

Ultimately we have a good shot at the top 4 but we must start quickly this year.

2-1 to Airdrie, Prunty and Morgan with the goals.

That's the team I'd be going with. Thought it was strange that O'Neil started at LB when Bain's played there so much over the past two seasons and looked comfortable.

Reckon this will be a tough game but one we should be looking to win.

Reckon the lineup posted by thediamonddude will probably be what we got with though I'd maybe play Morton upfront and either play Sumsky on the left or switch Cox there and start McAleer on the right.

Hopefully get off to a good start with 3 points. As mentioned the games were tight against Airdrie last season with us having the upper hand slightly.

We saw on Saturday in the 1st half there were signs of us starting to click, our new look back four were impressive and given time I think we have actually improved our defence. It's going forward we are lacking, we still need a wide player or a striker.

Hopefully get off to a good start with 3 points. As mentioned the games were tight against Airdrie last season with us having the upper hand slightly.

We saw on Saturday in the 1st half there were signs of us starting to click, our new look back four were impressive and given time I think we have actually improved our defence. It's going forward we are lacking, we still need a wide player or a striker.

Agree with everything. A couple of periods of play in the first half was pleasing on the eye . And I reckon the defence is improved too , o brien could be a new fans favourite

Think we might just edge this .

2-1 to Airdrie with Brian Prunty breaking his duck for the season.

We need Fitzpatrick and Lister back ASAP but both look to be out for a while especially if Lister needs surgery.

Obviously I'd rather have Fitzpatrick available but I'm quite happy with Gilfillan in midfield in his place, it's pretty much a like for like, Gilfillan's probably a better footballer and offers similar defensive attributes. So not too worried about him being out. Lister is a loss but he does seem to be getting better with every game he misses! I worry we are expecting too much when he comes back, even ignoring his injury he's now in his mid 30's, we shouldn't be pinning our hopes on him. We should really just forget about him for the time being and if he gets back to fitness soon then that's a bonus.

Obviously I'd rather have Fitzpatrick available but I'm quite happy with Gilfillan in midfield in his place, it's pretty much a like for like, Gilfillan's probably a better footballer and offers similar defensive attributes. So not too worried about him being out. Lister is a loss but he does some to be getting better with every game he misses! I worry we are expecting too much when he comes back, even ignoring his injury he's now in his mid 30's, we shouldn't be pinning our hopes on him. We should really just forget about him for the time being and if he gets back to fitness soon then that's a bonus.

Couldn't agree more mate. Similar to the John Boyle stuff. We have no idea what to expect if he ever does come back fit. Hopefully he does but I fear we may be unrealistic in our expectations.

I'm one who's been saying how much we miss him. Still believe that - he's been key and a stand out over the last couple of seasons. I do agree though that he might not be the same player.

I think everyone agrees that we miss him, but by the time he's ready to play and up to speed it could be half the season gone, so we just need to forget him for the time being and find a style of play that suits our current players, because as has been said even when he is fit he might not be the same player.

I think everyone agrees that we miss him, but by the time he's ready to play and up to speed it could be half the season gone, so we just need to forget him for the time being and find a style of play that suits our current players, because as has been said even when he is fit he might not be the same player.

Was chatting with someone from the club a couple of weeks ago when the op wasn't yet confirmed. Apparently, the recovery time from the op itself would be minimal, as in weeks, but as you correctly point out, the real concern will be how close to his previous best he'll be.

I think part of the reason Morgan has been brought in (a 3 month loan signing) is that the expectation is that Lister will be back soonish. I just wonder how much longer he'll continue playing once he's back.

Long term, we need other options.

According to BBC Sport League One Ins and Outs, John Boyle has left.

I thought this was confirmed a while ago.

Not sure who is available in terms of strikers, either on loan or on a permanent deal, the PFA list isn't outstanding with Paul Heffernan the only notable player.

I don't think there will be many, if any at all, experienced and proven goal scorers available now which isn't good as that's probably what we need. Apart from Prunty we don't have any other natural goalscorers and if he gets injured or is off form then we'll really struggle.

Archived