Hibernian v Montrose

Lyle Lanley

Try and get every player on the Hibs team to get a goal. Oxley's already proven to be a better goal scorer for Hibs than the likes of Vine, Johansson, Trakys to name a few

Solid, unspectacular stuff. There's really no need to play a holding midfielder and one up front in that kind of game, so Stubbs obviously took it as a bit of a run-out, rather than an effort to run up a scoreline. Bartley looks like an energetic ball winning type which is something we need. Allan good when he came on, could've had a couple of screamers and should've had an assist. Great to see Martin score, hopefully we don't play him in every position and ruin him like every other decent prospect in recent years. Oxley still gives me the fear.

Montrose were by no means the worst 3rd division team I've seen us play. Pretty well organised and until the latter stages limited us to lots of long shots. Keeper looked good, made some excellent saves.

Solid, unspectacular stuff.

You could have just stopped there tbh!

We avoided a scudding and did a fairly good job of holding shape against a far better team. That said, at least two of the goals were really poor, and there were a bit too many heavy first touches from us.

I'd like to see that early penalty shout again, and it might have been more interesting if we'd kept it at 0-1 a bit longer.

But yeah, unremarkable game. Good day out though!

The Mo were without in much better shape than 2 weeks ago at Buckie and I thought we kept our shape well until very late in the game when the better class of Hibs player started to stretch us but the lads avoided a total late collapse credit to them. The squad is still wafer thin in numbers and although we look in reasonable shape going into League 2 action I can't see many goals up front so hope that's a priority for Heggy.

If Hibs were treating it more as a training game fair enough but if that was their best team and that was their best shape/formation I reckon they still have work to do. They had acres of space on each flank but mostly wasted it with poor final balls. Hope they do well this season though.

Archived