Best Scottish Player Since 1990.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does it matter? Every Nations goes through peaks and troughs, its just the bigger nations dips are shorter due to the higher amount of possible talent there.

We're definitely on the up again though, and in the next 25 years will have at least three £20m+ players.

Aye but in 25 year 20 mill will be about the equivalent of a fiver.

Goram, Gough, Strachan, Lambert, Barry Ferguson.

Huh. For some reason I had it in my head that WGS had retired from international duty before 1990.

Must admit that I'm warming to the idea of Andy Goram as our #1 player over this period. He had a few years when he seemed almost unbeatable, and was top quality even at other times.

Huh. For some reason I had it in my head that WGS had retired from international duty before 1990.

Must admit that I'm warming to the idea of Andy Goram as our #1 player over this period. He had a few years when he seemed almost unbeatable, and was top quality even at other times.

Strachan retired in 1992. Add to my list Gary McAllister, Ally McCoist, Darren Fletcher. Goram is the finest Scottish goalkeeper i've seen in my time and i go back to the days of Bill Brown and Tommy Younger.

Barry Ferguson couldn't lace the first 3s boots and Lambert, although VASTLY over rated was a better player that Ferguson.

Barry Ferguson was a fine player for Scotland, his performance v England at Wembley in 1999 where he dominated an English midfield consisting of Ince, Redknapp, Beckham and Scholes should tell you how effective a midfield player he was for Scotland. I don't think Lambert ever dominated an international game against such top class players in the way Ferguson did.

Shit. This is tricky.

I'd PROBABLY say Craig Gordon. At his best he was an equal the best keepers around at the time.

As good as Fletcher, Collins, McAllister, Hendry, etc. were if you were to make a 23 man squad of the best players in the world at the time I don't think any of them would make it. Gordon might.

Barry Ferguson was a fine player for Scotland, his performance v England at Wembley in 1999 where he dominated an English midfield consisting of Ince, Redknapp, Beckham and Scholes should tell you how effective a midfield player he was for Scotland. I don't think Lambert ever dominated an international game against such top class players in the way Ferguson did.

Ferguson was fantastic in that match.

Best display by Lambert was in WC qualifier at Parkhead V Austria. He was superb that night in what was a crucial game.

Does it matter? Every Nations goes through peaks and troughs, its just the bigger nations dips are shorter due to the higher amount of possible talent there.

We're definitely on the up again though, and in the next 25 years will have at least three £20m+ players.

In 25 years pub leaguers will be worth about £20m. The world elite will have invented their own currency. Messi's son will be sold for 47 million Blatters.

Aye he was a good player around this time for a season or two- I can mind him playing superb against Kaiserslaturen at home when you played them but after that he became a crab that played the easy sideways pass everytime, no ambition and his attitude was stinking.

What about a squad of everyone who made their debut post-1990?

Craig Gordon, Allan McGregor, David Marshall

Allan Hutton, Christian Daily, Jackie McNamara, Gary Naysmith, Steven Pressley, Davie Weir, Colin Hendry

Shaun Maloney, Neil McCann, Darren Fletcher, Scott Brown, Paul Lambert, Gary McAllister, Ikechi Anya, Barry Ferguson

James McFadden, Kenny Miller, Steven Naismith, Steven Fletcher, Don Hutchison

We've really struggled for strikers, haven't we? Centre-mid being by far our strongest position, with the likes of Burley, McArthur, Hartley, Morrison, McCall and Colin Cameron missing out.

Shit. This is tricky.

I'd PROBABLY say Craig Gordon. At his best he was an equal the best keepers around at the time.

As good as Fletcher, Collins, McAllister, Hendry, etc. were if you were to make a 23 man squad of the best players in the world at the time I don't think any of them would make it. Gordon might.

Are you seriously trying to suggest Craig Gordon is a better keeper than Goram was???

Craig Gordon is more a case of potential that was unfortunately hampered by injury. Goram actually followed through, and anyone would've been happy to have one of him.

Gordon's not finished yet, of course, but he's in the peak goalkeeping period. He'd probably need to end up at another club to be considered a bigger success than Goram, I think, as you're not going to get as far with Celtic now than you would've done with the old profligate Rangers (if that makes any sense). Without the injury, he'd probably be at one of the big clubs in Europe by now.

Archived