Cups start too early

mrman2011

Source?

It was in the Sun yesterday. Top 6 Premiership sides Development teams could potentially be entered. Can't see the merit in it myself. It was a speculation story without any quotes to back it up though so no idea how much truth there was in it.

I find that hard to believe.

You took half the gate (OK after deductions and final venue rental etc.) from 5 matches whose attendances totalled 28,543.

Two of your games were televised live by BBC Alba.

Prizemoney for winning the cup had been £28,000 in 2011-12 but was apparently more under the deals for 2012-13 & 2013-14.

What on earth were your additional expenses amounting to if you "barely made a penny" from all that?

They'll have got buttons from Alba for the semi final. The final broadcast rights would go into the pot for distribution. The two clubs would end up with likely less than 30% each of receipts net of expenses by the time the host club and SPFL took their shares.

The prize money was nearer half the value you list.

I'm not party to Raith Rovers contracts but it's not inconceivable the bonuses paid for winning it may have wiped out most of the income from it.

I'm not party to Raith Rovers contracts but it's not inconceivable the bonuses paid for winning it may have wiped out most of the income from it.

Obviously you can't say much, but would bonuses take into account what competition its in?

Remember the excitement of the first league game of the season. You don't get that when it is preceded by two cup ties.

Time the Challenge Cup was binned.

The League Cup should be returned to its quick fire format (Skol Cup era) and finished by October.

First competitive game should be a league game.

Remember the excitement of the first league game of the season. You don't get that when it is preceded by two cup ties.

Time the Challenge Cup was binned.

The League Cup should be returned to its quick fire format (Skol Cup era) and finished by October.

First competitive game should be a league game.

Challenge cup is a great one for clubs like mines and yourselves to earn some silver wear, if anything I'd bring group stages into the league cup but I would have that in turn with bigger leagues and less league matches so the group stages would give you more games again.

Watching your team in a friendly is completely different to watching them in a competitive game, I like getting to see my team play two competitive games before the league campaign officially kicks off and I think it helps with the final match sharpness that players need after a pre-season of not playing competitively.

Archived