Cups start too early

mrman2011

Until a few years ago the League Cup R1 was the midweek after the leagues began. Before that they were both midweek - before that it was the other way around, with League Cup R1 on weekend and Challenge Cup R1 on midweek. In the mid-1990s they experimented with having LC R1 & R2 on the first & second or first & third weekends of the season. They once started the Challenge Cup on a weekend in September.

So plenty of experimentation has gone on but it's a long time since you used to be a good way into the season before these cups kicked-in.

It can be a bit gutting to go out of 2 cups before a league ball has been kicked; then possibly go out of the Scottish Cup at the end of September.

On the other hand I'd rather them on weekends than midweeks, and it might feel odd to play say 2 league weekends than have 2 cup weekends.

For most clubs Cups start with league cup in August with Challenge Cup seen as a glorified friendly

See, I hate that chat. It's a perfectly valid competition that gives a bit of variety in opponents, some prize money and a chance to win some meaningful silverware.

Normally the "pfft, diddy cup onywey" pish comes from those who bow out of the competition, or are trying so desperately hard not to care.

See, I hate that chat. It's a perfectly valid competition that gives a bit of variety in opponents, some prize money and a chance to win some meaningful silverware.

Normally the "pfft, diddy cup onywey" pish comes from those who bow out of the competition, or are trying so desperately hard not to care.

It's the diddy cup mate. Accept it. Nobody gives a monkeys until the semis. Then people get that whiff of success and it becomes more important.

I personally don't mind it, but there is definitely a pre-season feel to the early stages IMO. Same with the league cup. I only really consider the season started when the league starts.

The Rovers barely made a penny from winning the Ramsdens Cup, despite two televised matches, home wins in the QF and SF and beating Rangers at a packed Easter Road in the final.

I wouldn't swap that day at Easter Road for anything but if we'd beaten Stenhousemuir in front of 5.000 at The Falkirk Stadium I wouldn't really have been arsed either way.

I find that hard to believe.

You took half the gate (OK after deductions and final venue rental etc.) from 5 matches whose attendances totalled 28,543.

Two of your games were televised live by BBC Alba.

Prizemoney for winning the cup had been £28,000 in 2011-12 but was apparently more under the deals for 2012-13 & 2013-14.

What on earth were your additional expenses amounting to if you "barely made a penny" from all that?

I.e. B teams?

Horrid idea, IMO. That really would undermine its credibility.

Celtic's reserves winning it? Away trip v Inverness U20s? Getting beaten by St Johnstone B?

Also a potential slippery slope to having them in league.

EDIT: If they want an extra round for some reason I'd just let all HL/LL clubs in. That'd make 63 teams currently, or perfect 64 once LL reaches 16 clubs.

Archived