Wednesday 5th August

BSCG v Dalbeattie 2-1

Cumbernauld v Whitehill 1-2

Edin Uni v Edin City 0-2

Gala v Stirling 1-3

Gretna v East Kilbride 1-0

Spartans v Preston 3-0

Vale of L v Selkirk 1-1

Credit to Threave for winning at Rosewell today.

With papers saying 6 players out injured I doubt many expected last season's table-proppers to win at a new-look Whitehill - so that is an excellent result.

For a bit of perspective... this is their first win in any competition since 1st November 2014, and only their fourth win in any competition in the last 18 months. And for a team sometimes said to be "poor travellers", only their second win outside Dumfries & Galloway in almost 2 years.

Often the ups and downs of the smaller teams near the bottom don't get much attention, but they'll be delighted I'm sure.

With papers saying 6 players out injured I doubt many expected last season's table-proppers to win at a new-look Whitehill - so that is an excellent result.

For a bit of perspective... this is their first win in any competition since 1st November 2014, and only their fourth win in any competition in the last 18 months. And for a team sometimes said to be "poor travellers", only their second win outside Dumfries & Galloway in almost 2 years.

Often the ups and downs of the smaller teams near the bottom don't get much attention, but they'll be delighted I'm sure.

Thanks for this Hibbee. I'm away for another go at the cat.

so were Threave good or WW pish ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or was the manager at fault ?

Started season as finished last one PISH!! Happy now :P

Bit too early to judge.

I dinnae even know the players names yet!

Best of luck to the Rovers some grim stats there HJ (haven't beat ww since 2009)

Hopefully they'll surprise a few.

Don't think we saw any league Champions today though :(

Genuinely great result for threave. Perhaps they can start by hitting the ground running and carry on from there. With selkirk and themselves off to a flyer is there more pressure on the new group at preston? Early days but was looking for them to come out the traps quickly.

It's hard when there is a lot of change. The Spartans team which sweeper the board under Mike and Sam did so because they retained the majority of the side over a number of years.

The same could be said of the Lowland League winning season.

Edinburgh City have kept their core over the last few years, added 1 or 2 top players and made themselves a dominant side.

Sides need time to bed in. That's why it's a 28 game season that decides the best side, not 1.

so were Threave good or WW pish ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or was the manager at fault ?

I thought both teams were poor ,,,Threave at least had a plan ,,,boot the ball and anything else as far as they could all the time ,,,,WW seemed to have no plan ,no formation and apart from a couple of players the rest seemed off the pace and just rubbish ,,,,no midfield,no wingers,nothing up front,,,,,on the plus side it can only get better for WW sake

ps the female ref was horrific

It will be a great boost to Threave to get the monkey off their back and show to themself (as well as everyone else) that they can win games, and win them away from home to boot. From the Whitehill perspective I don't think it means anything... it's a 10 month season and a 30-round league program. Next game is away to a club which has never kicked a ball in Senior football before, then away to Vale of Leithen, then home to BSCG; we could be sitting here in 10 days time and find Whitehill clear at the top of the league. Albeit, starting with a home defeat to Threave is a shock.

Genuinely great result for threave. Perhaps they can start by hitting the ground running and carry on from there. With selkirk and themselves off to a flyer is there more pressure on the new group at preston? Early days but was looking for them to come out the traps quickly.

Selkirk and Gala both pulled up their bootstraps after 2013-14 then left Preston and Threave trailing last season; so it would be good from a point of view of excitement if Preston and Threave could close the gap themselves this season... With only 1 vacancy left in LL and licenses beginning to appear in EOS League and SOS League, there's also the far higher possibility of relegation than last season when it was possible but unlikely.

It will be a great boost to Threave to get the monkey off their back and show to themself (as well as everyone else) that they can win games, and win them away from home to boot. From the Whitehill perspective I don't think it means anything... it's a 10 month season and a 30-round league program. Next game is away to a club which has never kicked a ball in Senior football before, then away to Vale of Leithen, then home to BSCG; we could be sitting here in 10 days time and find Whitehill clear at the top of the league. Albeit, starting with a home defeat to Threave is a shock.

Selkirk and Gala both pulled up their bootstraps after 2013-14 then left Preston and Threave trailing last season; so it would be good from a point of view of excitement if Preston and Threave could close the gap themselves this season... With only 1 vacancy left in LL and licenses beginning to appear in EOS League and SOS League, there's also the far higher possibility of relegation than last season when it was possible but unlikely.

28 round season HJ ;-)

Welfare also went to EK early two swap s ago though and lost.

Also, gala did great last year but Selkirks point return was poor considering where they were after four games. Although the early results seemed to paper over what happened next but they did pull away from preston and threave.

Although I don't like to make predictions on the basis of one game, the way Vale have struggled steadily over the last season and a bit, (particularly re: size of squad) could mean a long hard season near the bottom.

Also hearing that Ian Little who takes their training will be moving on- he's got the Heriot Watt job. He'll be a big loss as he's a good coach.

Although I don't like to make predictions on the basis of one game, the way Vale have struggled steadily over the last season and a bit, (particularly re: size of squad) could mean a long hard season near the bottom.

Also hearing that Ian Little who takes their training will be moving on- he's got the Heriot Watt job. He'll be a big loss as he's a good coach.

They were missing a good 7/8 first team players yesterday

They were missing a good 7/8 first team players yesterday

They don't have 7/8 good first team players ;-)

Granted they missed a few yesterday but they haven't carried a large squad for a few seasons so is till think they could struggle.

Archived