How much do Championship clubs get from TV per match?

Good fishing trip. Everyone knows the Renfrewshire derby matters not a jot to anyone outside of Morton and St. Mirren fans. Don't hold your breath waiting for the bidding war from Sky and BT.

To be fair, more people would want to watch that derby than a cowdenbeath game.

I don't disagree. Still doesn't change my point though.

I think VT has a point to be fair. If it's on telly, you would imagine some people would just watch it on the telly to save money or whatever, and that would impact on their gate receipts. We had a home game against falkirk live on alba around xmas last season and the turnout was awful.

Even though no large number of people would be tuning into dumbarton v falkirk, I reckon the fact it's on TV it would have still contributed a little bit to the low attendance.

I can understand why from your insider's viewpoint that the hassle and potential cost of being on TV without any compensation seems unfair and I suppose you're right.Again though, it would be dangerous to have any payments that reflected the relative scale of viewing figures.

And I didnt suggest that. I said that there should potentially be a flat fee to each home team to cover both inconvenience and loss of income before the rest goes in the pot. Something in the order of £5k to £10k would be reasonable maybe. We have for instance had a good number of cancellations for hospitality since the Rangers game moved to a Sunday. Thats before we consider how many of the potential walk ups dont bother and just watch on tv instead. As it stands we get no compensation at all for that.

Whilst the OF sides are clearly broadcast most often by miles it is fairly unusual for their home league games to be covered. Its the smaller clubs who tend to be the home sides and lose more by games being moved.

And I didnt suggest that. I said that there should potentially be a flat fee to each home team to cover both inconvenience and loss of income before the rest goes in the pot. Something in the order of £5k to £10k would be reasonable maybe. We have for instance had a good number of cancellations for hospitality since the Rangers game moved to a Sunday. Thats before we consider how many of the potential walk ups dont bother and just watch on tv instead. As it stands we get no compensation at all for that.

Whilst the OF sides are clearly broadcast most often by miles it is fairly unusual for their home league games to be covered. Its the smaller clubs who tend to be the home sides and lose more by games being moved.

I didn't say you did. Instead I said that you were probably right in suggesting that not being compensated for staging these televised games was unfair, conceding that with your role at the club, you'd have an insight on this that I lack.

Jeez man. Even when we agree, you want an argument.

You're also right in highlighting the injustice in the big teams generally being filmed away from home, thus hitting the smaller sides' incomes harder. This is part of what made the old SPL deal so unfair too. Leaving aside the fact that the SPL was created purely in order to ensure that thirty clubs saw not a penny from sponsors or TV money, we also had the situation whereby the prize money was ludicrously divided to ensure a massive drop-off between 2nd and 3rd places, meaning that the OF should and indeed very nearly always did, take the vast majority of the money.

Added to this was the way the deal worked in practice. The OF were nearly always screened in away fixtures, meaning the smaller club had their fixture moved and their gate depleted, while home OF games generally took place at 3pm on Saturdays and suffered no dents in attendance. With gate sharing a distant memory, we had our biggest clubs again ludicrously favoured.

Fortunately, this still wasn't enough for one of them and the fallout has resulted in an improved, yet still pretty imperfect model of distribution.

I live in South Wales and love it when queens come on the telly granted its only few times a season. I only get up the road once maybe twice a year and do try to make the home games when I do but living so far away it's difficult. So televised games suits me otherwise its trying to follow the live updates or soccer Saturday with Jeff

VT is bang on. Alba pay peanuts, so they shouldn't be getting games where their coverage could easily knock 1000 or more off the gate and will also affect corporate hospitality. I also don't understand how the police allow the derby to be moved to Friday when for years they wouldn't even allow the most innocuous of games to be played at that time.

I can convinced that the games on Alba actually have a negative financial effect.

Taking ourselves as an example, if the crown is 1000 down due to being on TV, with folk paying an average of £15 = a loss of £15000 at the gate.

Are Alba paying £15k a game? I highly doubt it.

ps MT I was absolutely not implying TV revenue was split by a factor of average viewing figures. You spend so much time on the Falkirk thread I'd have thought you could understand me by now ;)

I can convinced that the games on Alba actually have a negative financial effect.

Taking ourselves as an example, if the crown is 1000 down due to being on TV, with folk paying an average of £15 = a loss of £15000 at the gate.

Are Alba paying £15k a game? I highly doubt it.

ps MT I was absolutely not implying TV revenue was split by a factor of average viewing figures. You spend so much time on the Falkirk thread I'd have thought you could understand me by now ;)

What did you mean then by listing viewing figures and crowds against TV income for certain clubs, then saying "it seems a bit unfair to say the least", before suggesting that fans of Hearts, Hibs and Queens should be "raging"?

I don't exactly see what the problem with highlighting the unfairness of the difference in prize money between the leagues.

Particularly when there is much of a muchness between all clubs outside of Celtic and Sevco (sorry but that is the reality of it).

To argue over such fine points though is to miss the bigger picture. The reality is the money Scottish football gets from the TV deal is no where near good enough. We should be holding Doncaster accountable for that.

I live in South Wales and love it when queens come on the telly granted its only few times a season. I only get up the road once maybe twice a year and do try to make the home games when I do but living so far away it's difficult. So televised games suits me otherwise its trying to follow the live updates or soccer Saturday with Jeff

The last couple of years have been great for us far flung Doonhamers, I only hope we continue to see a similar level of Championship coverage when/if Rangers get out of the league.

I don't exactly see what the problem with highlighting the unfairness of the difference in prize money between the leagues.

Particularly when there is much of a muchness between all clubs outside of Celtic and Sevco (sorry but that is the reality of it).

To argue over such fine points though is to miss the bigger picture. The reality is the money Scottish football gets from the TV deal is no where near good enough. We should be holding Doncaster accountable for that.

Nothing much to disagree with there, but listing viewing figures against income meant you were doing more than merely highlighting differences across leagues.

The fact is that the current situation is an improvement on what existed in SPL days.

Archived