How much do Championship clubs get from TV per match?

The money is shared between all 42 clubs. I am sure the Spl get the lion's share, then the championship etc.

I didn't know this, thanks.

Naively I was thinking that a benefit to Morton getting promoted would be 80 grand for the first game against Rangers at Cappielow

I didn't know this, thanks.

Naively I was thinking that a benefit to Morton getting promoted would be 80 grand for the first game against Rangers at Cappielow

I think it changed when Rangers were welcomed into league 2, as prior to that only the Spl clubs shared the money.

Cup games are different though as both sides featured will share the money.

It goes by final league position at the end of the season.

If your team were to participate in a Scottish cup game live on SKY they get £80,000. I think the BBC pay roughly the same for a cup tie?

The tv money goes into the SPFL's pool and is paid out along with other commercial revenues based on your share as said.

The fee for a live tv match in the Scottish Cup is the same regardless of who broadcasts it. It's not the same value as a League Cup tie or Challenge Cup tie obviously as those are subject to different agreements (and with the SPFL not the SFA).

There is absolutely no financial benefit at all to clubs in being covered on live tv for a league game. It will no doubt hurt the attendance to at least some extent and your share of the tv money at the end of the season would be the same whether you'd actually been covered or not.

Interesting. Whilst clearly the tv viewing figures are corrupted by the choices made by the companies and it's therefore not a level playing field, going on share of tv viewing figures we should have got over £1m last year!!!!!

Inverness average viewing figures: 79,000

Inverness average attendance: 3,733

Falkirk average viewing figures: 139,000

Falkirk average attendance: 4,661

Inverness prize money: £1,485,000

Falkirk prize money: £180,000

I appreciate entirely the logic and reasoning for dividing the revenue this (and it is probably the correct) way, but it does seem a bit unfair to say the least. Queens, Hibs and Hearts fans have even more right to be raging imo

I appreciate entirely the logic and reasoning for dividing the revenue this (and it is probably the correct) way, but it does seem a bit unfair to say the least. Queens, Hibs and Hearts fans have even more right to be raging imo

Going by league position seems fair enough, only gripe anyone can really have would be the gap between each division.

I appreciate entirely the logic and reasoning for dividing the revenue this (and it is probably the correct) way, but it does seem a bit unfair to say the least.

No more than dividing the title sponsorship element of prizemoney on the basis of who gets the most bets placed on them at Ladbrokes would?

Also, we at Berwick had a game televised last season (v Queen's Park on BBC Alba) but it's not shown in the grid.

However, the money figure (£18,000,000) is more than just Sky-BT's £13M deal, or £13M plus BT's playoff deal.

Is it showing SPFL's entire TV income - including minor domestic and overseas deals - but only UK satellite viewing figures?

EDIT: Actually I think they're dividing hypothetical all-up £18,000,000 prizemoney pot by UK satellite viewing figures.

Slightly misleading.

I could not disagree more.

If it was up to me, TV money would be pooled and distributed equally across all forty two clubs.

The idea of it being given out as prize money is sensible enough and more palatable now that the distribution is no longer deliberately rigged to ensure the OF take the vast bulk of it.

Anything that attempted to base it on who gets biggest viewing figures however would be ridiculous and would serve only to hasten the return of the duopoly and keep it in place.

I know SD's suggestion earlier was tongue in cheek, but it's a dangerous way of thinking. Too many people want football incomes to be as unequal as possible, as it is.

How much are Alba contributing to the pot? There's giving The Championship a platform and then there's effectively free-riding on a match like the first Renfrewshire derby. If they aren't paying a significant sum for such games then they should be told to piss off and televise a League Two match again.

How much are Alba contributing to the pot? There's giving The Championship a platform and then there's effectively free-riding on a match like the first Renfrewshire derby. If they aren't paying a significant sum for such games then they should be told to piss off and televise a League Two match again.

Good fishing trip. Everyone knows the Renfrewshire derby matters not a jot to anyone outside of Morton and St. Mirren fans. Don't hold your breath waiting for the bidding war from Sky and BT.

Anything that attempted to base it on who gets biggest viewing figures however would be ridiculous and would serve only to hasten the return of the duopoly and keep it in place.

... and tip-toes toward ending collective TV rights deals.

I could not disagree more.If it was up to me, TV money would be pooled and distributed equally across all forty two clubs.The idea of it being given out as prize money is sensible enough and more palatable now that the distribution is no longer deliberately rigged to ensure the OF take the vast bulk of it.Anything that attempted to base it on who gets biggest viewing figures however would be ridiculous and would serve only to hasten the return of the duopoly and keep it in place.I know SD's suggestion earlier was tongue in cheek, but it's a dangerous way of thinking. Too many people want football incomes to be as unequal as possible, as it is.

Well quite clearly it was a joke so no it wasnt 'dangerous'. I am very conscious that last season was an anomally and we will usually be net winners via the present formula like pretty much everyone else outside the OF.

I dont agree on the notion that everyone should get the same regardless of how often they are on either. The best solution should be somewhere between the two. The present prize money method is a reasonable compromise but I think I would go with some sort of inconvenience fee per club (or perhaps just the home club who are the ones who lose income) per live game and then distribute the rest as prize money maybe? Not sure, it would need a more detailed look at the numbers, but it does grate a bit that you get not a penny for actually having to deal with the live games.

You must have got lost on your way to the Fife no-marks forum champ.

Though if that were the case, then shifting it to a Friday night to the sole detriment of said, big deal fanbases should justify a large sum of money; in this case, to compensate Morton for a reduced gate. Otherwise Saturday 3pm should have been insisted upon.

Well quite clearly it was a joke so no it wasnt 'dangerous'. I am very conscious that last season was an anomally and we will usually be net winners via the present formula like pretty much everyone else outside the OF.

I dont agree on the notion that everyone should get the same regardless of how often they are on either. The best solution should be somewhere between the two. The present prize money method is a reasonable compromise but I think I would go with some sort of inconvenience fee per club (or perhaps just the home club who are the ones who lose income) per live game and then distribute the rest as prize money maybe? Not sure, it would need a more detailed look at the numbers, but it does grate a bit that you get not a penny for actually having to deal with the live games.

Calm down. I did say your post was tongue in cheek. I said that the idea of thinking in terms of dishing out TV money according to viewing figures was dangerous, but that was to do with the Falkirk fan's serious post, rather than your joke one.

I can understand why from your insider's viewpoint that the hassle and potential cost of being on TV without any compensation seems unfair and I suppose you're right.

Again though, it would be dangerous to have any payments that reflected the relative scale of viewing figures.

Archived