Albion Rovers manager Darren Young says the club's pay-what-you-can season ticket offer last season was "catastrophically bad" for the club's finances, with fans paying just £27 on average for blanket access to all home games. (Herald)

Shockingly low for watching your favourite team in a pleasant stadium. Coatbridge fans really took advantage of their team's spirit of generosity!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am sure this was discussed on the Albion Rovers thread and they did make less money than a what they would on a normal season.

It might be worth while long-term if they maintain some of the people who bought a season ticket last season but I doubt it will make much of a difference.

Be interesting to see what their average attendance was compared to recent seasons.

Copied word for word. Not a wind up. I am sure the comment must be part of a wider report so a Rovers fan somewhere should be able to confirm or indeed discredit it with other info.

If true it just shows people will pay as little as possible and save themselves the cash for other things, and I am sure it would be all teams fans.

For context you'd have to know how many STs were sold - if they sold 4 or 5 times as many as normal it might not have made much difference. They'd an average of 408 in 2013-14 and this shot up to 552 in the season just ended, but obviously an element of that increase would be down to their better performances and winning the league. Certainly if they did sell far more than usual most of them weren't used very often or at all.

Also it depends what they were wanting out of it in the first place. If it was intended for PR or as a one-year-only feel good exercise, a 'loss' is fine, and was presumably foreseen.

Personally it would not surprise me that a lot of people would pay very little if given the chance. In the first instance, a lot of people who wouldn't buy at all under normal prices would probably do so for a few 10s of £... in the second instance there will always be some people who will pay as little as they have to. By the same token some generous people will pay more than the fixed price would've been, but not very many I'd imagine.

My own thoughts on it are that 'pay what you want' doesn't sound that good an idea for STs, but it probably is for limited packages or individual games (and we've done that at Berwick at New Year).

My take on the cost of football currently, is what absolute crap treatment you get for it. Not exclusivly Clyde, or League Two, or even Scottish football, but over the board, clubs have dug themselves enormous holes over the years which they use to justify horrendous hikes, or in the case of the biggest clubs, allow the tail to wag the dog in relation to top players = top prices. The fact that most clubs peck at supporters' arses constantly, brings us back to our level. I've said til im blue in the coupon that the current structure of my club should present a reward in becoming a ST holder, im sure other clubs hage 'issues' which divide, but dont prevent people shelling out to watch their team. People blame the 'matchday experience' being poor, whatever the f**k that means.....herds of elephants, brass bands, pantyless cheerleaders.....the game'll be even shiter after swatching that.

Point seems to be it was taken advantage of.

But were they?? The people of Coatbridge and the surrounding areas already have their team. Now I would guess that the genuine Albion Rovers fan who attended every week still put a decent amount of cash to the club for their ST, many at the time said on here that they would give the club the same price that the ST had been the year before. Whether that happened or not I don't know.

What the initiative was aimed at was getting new fans in the door and they managed that, which was proven in slightly bigger attendances HOWEVER. Most of these guys probably go and watch their own team (at games or on the telly) so what they probably done was say "right, when I can't watch Celtic/Rangers/Insert Team Here I'll go along and watch Albion and so I don't lose out on money I'll give them £20/30 for the season ticket.

Also, plenty kids would of taken up the open so they would also pay a lower amount due to their budgets.

It's a shame that the experiment isn't deemed a success. However, if you leave the thing open to abuse (letting people have a season of football for a tenner when they can easily afford to pay more), then this is what you get.

I'm not quite sure of the details - and another Berwick fan correct me if wrong - but during our pre-season friendlies at Shielfield it was announced over the tannoy that there will be no £2 kids gate next season. Kids who have purchased a season ticket, which is very cheap (and comes with free Trust or Supporters Association membership), will of course continue to get in for free; but the announcement indicated all walkups will have to pay concession rates which are presumably still £5.

I don't know what the reason was: did people abuse the kids gate? is it easier to push STs then not have to man it?

I'm not quite sure of the details - and another Berwick fan correct me if wrong - but during our pre-season friendlies at Shielfield it was announced over the tannoy that there will be no £2 kids gate next season. Kids who have purchased a season ticket, which is very cheap (and comes with free Trust or Supporters Association membership), will of course continue to get in for free; but the announcement indicated all walkups will have to pay concession rates which are presumably still £5.

I don't know what the reason was: did people abuse the kids gate? is it easier to push STs then not have to man it?

I know someone who abuses it at Gayfield, pays £6 in the concession gate, even though it's for under 16s, and he's 22. Stingy b*****d. Calls himself a supporter but won't pay an extra 7 pound every 2 weeks to help support the club financially.

What age is classed as a kids age at Shielfield?

Archived